Author Topic: mantles?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline raydjulia

• Participant
    • View Profile
mantles?
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:19:22 AM »
Is the title of earl king a mantle like summer lady or winter night? i was thinking of a char who for some reason wants to replace the earl king. say a changeling son of his maybe?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: mantles?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 05:06:42 AM »
Nothing is specified exactly, but I've been running with a house ruled theory in my game that the "head" of a particular fae line becomes a sort of mantle after time. So if say if The Pixie (the king of pixies) is killed, a new Pixie is chosen. By my horribly skewed logic,  this would include the Goblin (the Erlking), the Red Cap, the Malk, the Ogre, etc. They all seem to have their own names (for instance, Lord Hearne is the Erlking/the Goblin, Cat Sith is the Malk etc), so I would say the proginator of a race is a mantle.

*update* There is no official answer in RAW that I've ever found, so run with it however you want to.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 05:20:38 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:21:36 AM »
Also, if you didn't want to directly usurp the Erlking (as being that would be a big in-universe change) you could have someone pull off a version of Kemmler's Insta-God ritual or something like it. Absorb the Hunt itself.

... I want to do that now.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 06:42:02 AM »
Do it. ;)

Also...love your signature. Chess references for the win.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »
Do it. ;)

Also...love your signature. Chess references for the win.

I'll have to do it in my inhouse game. Too many prying eyes on the board for me to get ideas like that and admit to them :)

Also, thank you. That came up as a joke in the OOC thread for Haru's South America game. Sometimes I can be funny :)

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »
Hahaha...nice.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 03:06:36 AM »
I would think the Erlking pretty clearly has a mantle (Harry references
(click to show/hide)
in CD), but I don't know if the mantle is "Erlking" or "Summer King" or "Herne" or some combination.

My guess is that "Herne" is probably his name, and that "Erlking" is the mantle... but...

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
I would think the Erlking pretty clearly has a mantle (Harry references
(click to show/hide)
in CD), but I don't know if the mantle is "Erlking" or "Summer King" or "Herne" or some combination.

My guess is that "Herne" is probably his name, and that "Erlking" is the mantle... but...

That's probably the case. Mantles seem to link to positions more than people.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."