Author Topic: Rote Actions  (Read 1463 times)

Dr.FunLove

Rote Actions
« on: July 11, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »
I had a thought to create a system of Rote Actions. After all, why let all the spell-casters have fun with their Rote Spells? I took a quick pass at it and here is what I came up with:

Rote actions provide benefits to specific applications of actions. Rote actions are broken down into three broad category of Skills - Mental, Physical, Social - with each category having a Skill that sets the # of Rotes (Scholarship, Athletics, and Empathy, respectively). The benefits per Action-type are:
  • Attacks generate a Free Special Effect.
  • Blocks subtract HALF their block strength from actions that sucessfully penetrate them, reducing the sucess.
  • Maneuvers are always Sticky when sucessful.
  • Movement difficulties are reduced by 2

This is my first pass of this. I think it is a fun, neat little idea. Thoughts are appreciated!

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Rote Actions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:31:31 PM »
The utility and power is anything but consistent between the various options.
Attacks get a free automatic maneuver, with accompanying tag.  That's a 2 or 3 point value.
Blocks get a free armour at half of their block rating.  This effectively doubles their value, or something near to it.
The Maneuvers benefit will sometimes provide the equivalent of a +1 bonus, but often will provide nothing at all, and is less likely to be beneficial the better your roll.
Movement actions get up to a 2 point benefit.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »
Interesting. Did you have something to add to that? Alternatives perhaps?

For mechanical "balances" purposes, based on general aura of your feedback, should probably be balanced around an equal amount of benefit in your mind. I feel ya. If I balance around the idea of +2/-2, Attack Actions (getting a free tag) and Movement Actions are even. Blocks and Maneuvers need to be rethought/rebalanced.

Appreciate you calling attention to that!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:44:10 PM by Dr.FunLove »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
If you'd want to go with actual mundane rotes, I think it should be something that's actually similar to the "muscle memory" idea of rotes. So you could, for example, have martial arts moves that you can do at your skill level without rolling. No gain from a good roll, but no punishment from a bad one either. Or putting up an aiming maneuver for a sniper, things like that. You don't roll, you just take the skill value. That's what rote spells essentially are.

Bonuses like you describe should stay in stunt territory, I believe.

And blocks already reduce the power of an action, even if they are penetrated. The resulting action is reduced by the blocks power.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
@Haru
With the Rote Spells you still have to roll to target. They aren't auto sucesses. Unless I am misreading YS.210, an action that beats a block goes through as normal.

I understand your thoughts on keeping things out of "stunt territory". I do believe that this concept, as it stands, treads on that a little bit. Any thoughts outside of auto-successes on that? My general inspiration here is to add a bit of fluff/mechanical flavor without obviously treading on existing mechanics.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:08:54 PM by Dr.FunLove »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
Look at the example on the same page. A block does exactly what a defense roll does, you just get to do it in advance, which means you can get more mileage out of aspects you use on them. It also means you might spend your action in vain, if the block isn't used.

The thing with rote spells is, that they fix a problem that only exists in the magic rules in the first place, and that is spells blowing up in your face. That doesn't happen anywhere else, so there really isn't any need for rote rules anywhere else.

There isn't really anything you can add in the way you are trying, without treading into stunt or even power territory. Remember that you have at least 3 refresh free, because you don't have to buy evocation, and that's where you can buy the stunts to add bonuses on what you do good.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
Yea, that language on YS210 is misleading. Thanks for pointing that out to me Haru!

You make a very good point. This idea was almost like a fever dream that came to me in the dead of the night. It didn't strike me then the similarities/overlap it might cause with Stunts. No need to add mechanics if they aren't solving a quandry...though I do so love fluff!

Maybe I'll write up some stunts. Yea...that sounds good...

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 08:04:12 PM »
Yeah, I've been guilty of wanting to add a mechanic here and there, where it wasn't really needed, too. Isn't always a bad thing, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

Something I thought about for Fate Core in the G+ group, but maybe it is useful for you here as well. It is essentially about zooming in on a single skill and expanding it to add fluff. Not sure how well it would work for DF, though.

(click to show/hide)

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
That's interesting...though I think maybe not the cleanist solution. The DFRPG system also doesn't allow for additional trappings outside of Stunts. So really, my big take away (other than reading comphresion can fail hardcore when reading YS!) is Stunts, Stunts, Stunts.

It's times like these I begin to feel that perhaps the power scope of DFRPG was down-scaled too much in YS. though I suppose that's to prevent power inflation. Woe is me!

I know, in the games where I am a player, I'll probably be taking Stunts on my next refresh (playing two wizards and a Fae). I feel that without at least a Stunt or two characters are not very...well-rounded. That's why I'm slowly learning/feeling.

Appreciate the feedback Haru, Tedronai!

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »
Thats actually really cool Haru. I might use that next time I run a Fate Core

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 06:10:59 PM »
Glad you like it. If you end up using it, I would welcome some feedback to see how it holds up.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
I'd like to hear it to, if only to see/hear how Fate Fractal systems work out!

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
i will let you know. Though it may be a while. I dont have my core books yet (Since I ordered the Toolkit and didnt get an extra shipment) So I am waiting on that to run a game.