Author Topic: Zonewide Maneuver  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Zonewide Maneuver
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 01:58:22 AM »
Try as I might, I can't think of a way to place multiple individual maneuvers on people as part of single action.  Anything I think of is definitely house-rule territory and multiple tags on a single skill roll seems very powerful.

Unless....

Unless you use the optional spin rules.  So if  you succeed well enough, with enough extra shifts, you get some kind of extra bonus - like an extra tag or an extra +1 on the next roll.... I'll find the page.

Edit  Pg. 214

Some groups may find it strange that high
defense rolls don’t really give you any return
when every other game action does. This is
because they aren’t really a declared action;
you can take as many of them as you want for
free, regardless of your situation. However,
if you’re bummed that you roll these epic
defense rolls all the time and nothing else
comes of it, consider using the spin rule: any
defense roll that beats the attack by three
or more confers a +1 or –1 to the very next
action taken in the exchange.
If you make spin, figure out who is going
next and see if there’s an immediate way for a
+1 or –1 to apply to the roll so that it favors
you. Is your friend going next, attacking the
same foe you are? Give your friend the +1.
Is your opponent going next, trying to rend
you limb from limb? Give his attack a –1 (or
a +1 to your own defense roll). If nothing
obvious comes to mind, don’t worry about
it; the special effect is mostly just color.
This can be a way of introducing some
liveliness and uncertainty into conflict
scenes, but with everything else going on, it
can be hard to remember and keep track of
when you get spin. If you find that to be the
case, don’t worry about this optional rule.
Your conflict scenes are probably dynamic
enough as it is.

Which is essentially what Haru said in his first post...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:01:49 AM by Taran »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 02:01:54 AM »
You are thinking of an overflow action. Spin is created on a very successful defense roll.

And that's kind of what I meant with the "success with style" option that Fate Core presents. If you do a "create advantage" action, which basically is a maneuver, but can be used to create free tags on existing maneuvers as well, you get an additional tag, if you succeed with style, which means you beat the target number by 3 or more.

I've kind of done this already in my pbp game at times. Sometimes I gave 2 additional tags, if both tags go to characters other than the creator of the aspect and things like that, just to spice it up.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 02:19:16 AM »
Uhm no, you just roll your skill, in this case presence seems appropriate, and if you beat the target roll set by the GM, the aspect is created. There is nothing more to it, no +2 for a zone or for additional tags, the rules don't allow for that. Maneuvers are always done the same, there are no "zone maneuvers", the target for the maneuver is the zone, so if you are successful the zone will have the aspect. Or the scene, if the scene was your target. Or the tree, or your ally, or your opponent.

If the maneuver targets an enemy, or there is a justification to resist against the maneuver, you roll against another roll, instead of a fixed number. In your case, trying to inspire your allies, the opponent could defend against you placing the aspect by rolling intimidate against it, and if he is successful, the aspect will not be placed. If you tie, the aspect is fragile, as usual.

Target numbers for aspects are pretty much what you can agree on as a group. I usually go for a default of 3 and then adjust by how cool or how appropriate the aspect in question is. Or in some cases, I take a previous skill roll as a basis. If your opponent did an intimidate aspect before your turn, for example, and you wanted to remove that aspect.

I like this interpretation. It contradicts the Whirlwind example spell, but...the example spells are often best ignored.

I sometimes give an extra tag for a truly exceptional success, but I don't think that's canon. It's just my take on spin.

Try as I might, I can't think of a way to place multiple individual maneuvers on people as part of single action.  Anything I think of is definitely house-rule territory and multiple tags on a single skill roll seems very powerful.

Thaumaturgy can do it. And you can use that in combat with an item or some kind of evothaum.