Author Topic: Stoicism Catches  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Stoicism Catches
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
My concern would be that 'innocents' would almost be a social catch, rather than a mental one. But it could work.

My other concern would be, as a GM, remembering who knows what. Your bad guys wouldn't necessarily know the catch, and you're doing the player a disservice if you don't play to that fact.

A suggestion: rather than 'innocents' - go with a vice or negative emotion. For instance: the catch is rage: get him angry and his mental fortitude is shot. Or lust, or envy, or greed. Pick one: no one's perfect. Or even concern/worry, which would be a more thematically appropriate version of innocents.

I like this.  If you use one of those emotions - and have an aspect tied to it - it could be compelled.  Let's say it's "lustful thoughts" that is your catch(I like "concern/worry" better, but lust is easier for my example).  You could have your mental toughness work against a WCV up until the point they succeed on maneuver to place an aspect or create some kind of consequence on your character that makes him lustful.  While that aspect exists, you are vulnerable to mental attacks.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
I like this.  If you use one of those emotions - and have an aspect tied to it - it could be compelled.  Let's say it's "lustful thoughts" that is your catch(I like "concern/worry" better, but lust is easier for my example).  You could have your mental toughness work against a WCV up until the point they succeed on maneuver to place an aspect or create some kind of consequence on your character that makes him lustful.  While that aspect exists, you are vulnerable to mental attacks.

I like this idea (the worry one, specifically). Worry would have to be for someone else, though, not for himself (he's kind of old–like old for a wizard, old). But that just requires a slight modification to the attack. If I wanted to modify your example, I'd say a Malvora vamp maneuvering to make him scared for someone undeserving of bad things. Tag for effect, and his stoicism goes *poof*.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline cold_breaker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
I like this idea (the worry one, specifically). Worry would have to be for someone else, though, not for himself (he's kind of old–like old for a wizard, old). But that just requires a slight modification to the attack. If I wanted to modify your example, I'd say a Malvora vamp maneuvering to make him scared for someone undeserving of bad things. Tag for effect, and his stoicism goes *poof*.

My one other suggested requirement for this (probably goes without saying, but in case someone else likes this idea) is have at least one aspect, preferably the trouble aspect, be tied to this weakness. Or alternatively, have tying an aspect to the catch bump up the value of the catch by 1, since it's a bit more realistic to use.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »
My one other suggested requirement for this (probably goes without saying, but in case someone else likes this idea) is have at least one aspect, preferably the trouble aspect, be tied to this weakness. Or alternatively, have tying an aspect to the catch bump up the value of the catch by 1, since it's a bit more realistic to use.

Well, I think the guy's Trouble THOSE WHO CAN'T NEED SOMEONE WHO CAN covers this pretty thoroughly. What do you think?
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
What about the Catch being that his Mental Toughness is turned off on the Sabbath, on holy days, or during calls to prayer? I'm not sure what the cost would be for taking one of those conditions or any combination of them. The reasoning would be that whatever power blessed him with incredible mental toughness (Allah?) needs his heart and mind fully open during certain times of the day/week/year in order to maintain his spiritual purity. Those are times for reflection, confession, forgiveness of oneself and of others. When one has "shields up" they can't connect to that Higher Power in any real way.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:05:07 PM by Troy »
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »
It's a little late for that now. Character is finalized.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »
It is an interesting idea, though.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough