Author Topic: A few seconds ahead - How strong is it?  (Read 22664 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: A few seconds ahead - How strong is it?
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2013, 06:12:41 AM »
I wouldn't allow Acrobat or See It Coming.

Physical defence is just straight-up more powerful than your average trapping. Few characters can afford to neglect it.

Think of it this way. Defending against all physical attacks is basically two trappings. 1 for melee attacks (Fists and Weapons have this trapping) and 1 for ranged attacks. So you're kind of getting 2 stunts for the price of 1.

AFSA is a very good hole patcher power, it is a very BAD optimization power. For additional refresh investment, many optimized character designs can achieve better results through other mechanisms. Specifically:
Casters can get Lore +1 physical and social defenses with 1 refresh in refinement (+1 Crafting Power, a physical defense item and a social defense item).
Mortals can get +1 or +2 on their apex combat skill for defense and patch up the other one to apex level.
Other supernaturals can invest in half of Inhuman Speed... and ok, no really good social defense powers, but you could go for an attack and just crush the mortals. Either way, you can break your skill cap.
The key points about AFSA are that it doesn't break cap and it doesn't stack with much of anything else. Optimized characters are better off investing elsewhere, non optimized characters with a good lore and no apex physical nor social defenses who have powers anyways, could get AFSA to patch up their defenses, and that is really not a problem, they are going to need it.

As for how it works for social defenses, it robs the element of surprise, you have a moment to think about things and see reactions ahead of time. Watch NEXT sometime to see this power dialed up to 11.

Items are limited use. Social defence items might not even be possible.

And defending with Inhuman Speed is only good for people who have Athletics high anyway.

A character can be optimal without being a combat monster. For such a character, something like AFSA is way too good.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
Items are limited use. Social defence items might not even be possible.

And defending with Inhuman Speed is only good for people who have Athletics high anyway.

A character can be optimal without being a combat monster. For such a character, something like AFSA is way too good.
Items have a limited usage, true. But the efficiency of enchanted items with respect to unlimited use abilities really hinge upon how many times you are attacked per combat - any form of combat.
Defending with Inhuman Speed + high Athletics should naturally be compared to defending with AFSA and high Lore. In both cases, both skills need to be high for the combination to be good.
To me, a combat monster is a powerhouse in any of the different forms of combat. Perhaps it may be good to have an example of what you mean and what you do not mean by combat monster before we start having a discussion on this point.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »
No, no, no, no, no.

No.

No.

We've had this rough conversation plenty of times before. I've explained over and over that that's not what I'm saying.

I've done so in this very thread.

So can you please do me a favour?

Re-read my posts. Try to think of other ways to interpret my position. Try to rephrase my position in one of your own posts.
I've read your posts, and they all seem to boil down to the idea that players are most interested in what gives them the most "optimal" build, to the point where this will override any character concept they had in mind. That anything that's less than optimal won't be taken, and therefore anything with the slightest advantage becomes "mandatory."

In previous threads, as well as this one, you've expressed exactly that--that if Rune Magic is slightly better than Ritual (Crafting) with two Refinements for focus items, then nobody will ever take Ritual (Crafting), regardless of character concept. In this thread, that if AFSA isn't modified, then everyone who can will become fortunetellers.

I've read your posts. Perhaps you're not making your point as well as you think you are. There's different ways of playing the game, and you seem to be discounting a large chunk of them.

And while we're at it, maybe you can help me understand your argument. So far as I can tell you have two main lines of argument here.

The first is that AFSA isn't too strong because people who want it probably have enchanted defence items.

The second is that it doesn't matter if it's too strong because real roleplayers don't care.

Is that a fair summary?
Not exactly. The first line of the argument is that AFSA isn't too strong because it's only going to be a major advantage on builds that either are A. so physically/socially handicapped already that even with a massive boost in defense, they're still going to lag behind because they're largely incapable of offense, or B. already have access to better ways of defending. I see it as not being overly strong because it's a power whose utility is fairly niche.

The second line isn't accurate. I'm not saying, "Real roleplayers don't care." I'm saying that a lot of players are going to base their character design decisions more on, "This is what I want to play" than "What will give me the most efficient advantages?"

Admittedly, players will gravitate toward more powerful builds--Wizards seem to be a lot more plentiful in games than other builds, but I just don't see AFSA as so significant of an advantage that it's going to change someone's mind on the character build. It's something that, even from a mechanical perspective, only provides an advantage to a build in situations that build is just not made for. It'll help a librarian not get instantly eviscerated by a ghoul, but if Lore is so much higher than the other logical defense/attack skills, that's about all it's going to do.

Perhaps the best way I can put it is...I see an inherent disconnect in your objections to AFSA. You say that the power is "mandatory" because it's so powerful. I take that to mean you see players as always wanting a mechanical advantage, in this case in physical conflict. But the character types that benefit most from AFSA are ones that are inherently disadvantaged in physical conflict. So if the player is so focused on getting every advantage in conflict, why are they playing a character who's build is inherently bad at those conflicts?

The way I see it, if the player is so focused on mechanical advantage in conflict that he's going to completely discount a build that doesn't let him use AFSA, then why isn't he playing something that's just already good at conflict, so he could spend his refresh improving at conflict instead of just making himself barely passable?

I see the players who AFSA would most help--the ones with most mechanical incentive to take it--as not caring about AFSA because they're already deciding to play a character that isn't focused on those conflicts. A player who's decided to play a librarian probably didn't do so with "And he'll be awesome in a fight!" as the priority.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2013, 07:12:19 AM »
I've read your posts. Perhaps you're not making your point as well as you think you are.

It's certainly a possibility.

Your interpretation of my beliefs is wrong, regardless.

Your interpretation is basically a mixture of two things that I actually believe, combined in an incorrect way.

1. Character creation can be viewed as a game within a game. The win condition of this game is to make as powerful a character as possible. Selecting a trait for your character is like making a move in the game.

When I say that something is mandatory, I mean in the context of this game-within-the-game. It's a dominant strategy, to use a game-theory term.

Obviously the game-within-a-game model of character creation is not a perfect simulation of actual play. But it's an excellent way to find balance problems like AFSA. So I talk about it a lot in these discussions.

2. People don't like having weak characters. They don't absolutely hate it, but they generally prefer to be strong rather than weak.

So if people have lots of character ideas, they'll tend not to play the weak ones.

And if people have their hearts set on one character idea, they'll resent being weakened by their choice.

I can illustrate with a silly example. Suppose you gave every character with red hair -1 to all Weapons rolls. Most people just wouldn't play red-haired characters. Those who did play red-haired characters would rightly regard that rule as stupid and annoying.

AFSA and other overly-optimal Powers do something similar, except instead of "has red hair" you have "concept doesn't fit the Power" and the penalty is different.

Not exactly. The first line of the argument is that AFSA isn't too strong because it's only going to be a major advantage on builds that either are A. so physically/socially handicapped already that even with a massive boost in defense, they're still going to lag behind because they're largely incapable of offense, or B. already have access to better ways of defending.

The second line isn't accurate. I'm not saying, "Real roleplayers don't care." I'm saying that a lot of players are going to base their character design decisions more on, "This is what I want to play" than "What will give me the most efficient advantages?"

Okay, yeah. Obviously true.

But as I'm trying to explain, that doesn't actually rebut what I'm trying to say here.

I see the players who AFSA would most help--the ones with most mechanical incentive to take it--as not caring about AFSA because they're already deciding to play a character that isn't focused on those conflicts. A player who's decided to play a librarian probably didn't do so with "And he'll be awesome in a fight!" as the priority.

Even if your character isn't combat focused, spending 1 Refresh to become massively better at surviving is an awesome deal. Too awesome, in this case.

Adding AFSA to a librarian turns him from "smart, but fragile and not great socially" to "smart, dodges like a ninja, and very hard to mess with socially". Your offence will still be limited to maneuvers, but that's not nothing.

(Also there are a couple of combat-focused builds that benefit greatly from AFSA and similar Powers for other skills. They're a bit edge-case-y, though, so I won't harp on them.)

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »
If the librarian had no other powers, AFSA is eating 3 refresh, not 1. If the librarian has any casting, they would be better served putting that 1 refresh towards improving their casting. If the librarian has powers but no casting, has apex lore but no near apex combat defense nor social defense skill... Then at that point they are an intentionally deoptimized character and they can choose to skip AFSA or not skip it as they see fit, it doesn't matter, they already chose to avoid 'better' options, there shouldn't be anything stopping them from forgoing AFSA as well, if they don't envision the character as a precognitive.

P.S. Social defense enchanted items are relatively easy through a variety of mechanisms, be they divination, self directed mentalism, self directed bio/pharmomancy or even preparatory conjuration (skill substitution on resources)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
If the librarian had no other powers, AFSA is eating 3 refresh, not 1. If the librarian has any casting, they would be better served putting that 1 refresh towards improving their casting. If the librarian has powers but no casting, has apex lore but no near apex combat defense nor social defense skill... Then at that point they are an intentionally deoptimized character and they can choose to skip AFSA or not skip it as they see fit, it doesn't matter, they already chose to avoid 'better' options, there shouldn't be anything stopping them from forgoing AFSA as well, if they don't envision the character as a precognitive.

P.S. Social defense enchanted items are relatively easy through a variety of mechanisms, be they divination, self directed mentalism, self directed bio/pharmomancy or even preparatory conjuration (skill substitution on resources)
QFT.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
I wouldn't allow Acrobat or See It Coming.

Physical defence is just straight-up more powerful than your average trapping. Few characters can afford to neglect it.

Think of it this way. Defending against all physical attacks is basically two trappings. 1 for melee attacks (Fists and Weapons have this trapping) and 1 for ranged attacks. So you're kind of getting 2 stunts for the price of 1.

Makes sense but the proposed stunt in the book (shot on the run) moves the dodge trapping to guns, a skill that currently does not have any dodge trapping, melee or ranged. Also is not two trappings, I know you want it to be but dodge is the trapping, if it is more applicable use the melee defense trapping than that could work, but I don't have to. It's not like getting two stunts it's like getting half a stunt if you use weapons or fists, which as I said, is a limitation on the skill, not something you should force on other stunts.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:59:58 AM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Bedurndurn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:49 AM »

Let's break it down:

1. The 'No Powers Whatsoever' case

You are correct that you shouldn't buy a 1pt power and lose your 2pt pure mortal bonus for a power that is two trappings-moving stunts. Of course if your group won't let you move defenses to whatever skill you want for a stunt and equivalent defenses would cost you 3+ stunts, then you might as well pick up this power (and maybe something else that'll fit your concept since you've already 'broken the seal' on powers).

2. The 'I actually already have some powers, one of which is spellcasting' case.

So for this character, your peak skills include Discipline, Conviction and Lore, or you frankly didn't read the book. When you pick up this power, you bring at least one (and almost certainly two) or your conflict defenses up to either skill cap or skill cap - 1. You already have mental defense at cap or cap-1 since it works off of Discipline. My tingling common sense says that if you're planning on taking this power, then Lore is probably at the skill cap unless you're playing one of the tiers where you can only afford 1 skill at the cap level. So the end result of this power is that all your defenses are as maxed as is practical. Congratulations, you have achieved being a boring character with no downsides.

Your alternative equivalent spending here would be 1 point for 4 slots of enchanted items. You could get 3 physical and 3 social defenses per session at Lore level (or some other combination of slots if you feel that's more useful). The downside of that is that you've got to track those uses and make sure that you aren't disarmed of your items, which makes unlimited use with no items the more attractive option. Of course you could've already broken the game in half with Refinement spending, so your 4 enchanted item slots actually give you like 12 defenses a session at Lore*2 or whatever, but actual physical people are already sick of your crap and wish you'd stop coming to the game sessions at that point, so I don't really care what you spend your refresh on.

3. The 'I already have powers, but spellcasting isn't one of them' case.

If you don't have Speed powers, then you're probably already spending a point of refresh on a stunt to bring your 'don't get shot in the face' defense roll to your primary offensive skill. Chances are you were pretty happy to do so because you realized the benefits of not being shot in the face. Sure the wizard got twice as much benefit for his 1 point as you got for yours, but you should be used to that by now, right?

If you have Speed powers, you should probably demand a special snowflake power that lets you defend against social and mental attacks with your maxed Athletics score. Hell you've actually spent points on being super fast; you'd actually be able to react in time to do something unlike the guy with the staff who's picking up 'defend against everything with one of my core skills' for peanuts.

Well they're certainly available to *somebody*, but coincidentally it's the class of somebodies who already have all the advantages in the world and a kite.

Hmm... so I guess if your point is that 'A wizard could totally break the game way, way worse as-is, so it's fine if they get this other thing that is tailored specifically to them that is still better than what everyone else gets, but inferior to the other gross stuff that wizards can do, so this power is fine' then I agree with you?

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2013, 01:31:46 AM »
Let's break it down:

1. The 'No Powers Whatsoever' case

2. The 'I actually already have some powers, one of which is spellcasting' case.

3. The 'I already have powers, but spellcasting isn't one of them' case.

In all the cases, I have yet to see how you are proving Grymor incorrect. Despite all the vehemence, I think you are actually proving him correct with your arguments.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
Makes sense but the proposed stunt in the book (shot on the run) moves the dodge trapping to guns, a skill that currently does not have any dodge trapping, melee or ranged. Also is not two trappings, I know you want it to be but dodge is the trapping, if it is more applicable use the melee defense trapping than that could work, but I don't have to. It's not like getting two stunts it's like getting half a stunt if you use weapons or fists, which as I said, is a limitation on the skill, not something you should force on other stunts.

Nitpick: I didn't actually say it was two trappings. I said it basically was. I added that word because yes, it is actually listed as a single trapping in the book.

You'll notice that the Guns stunt has a restriction. The book suggest two possible ones. Personally I think the first one they suggest is pushing the limits a bit, but it's there. And it's necessary.

Not sure what you meant by the last bit.

AFSA is indeed balanced if you multiply its cost by 3. So it's fine as a character's only power.

But AFSA is better than a Refinement's worth of defence items for a non-Crafter. It's not gear dependent, it can be boosted with Aspect invokes, and it can be used infinitely. The items are lose-able, non-boostable, and only have 3 free uses each. The defence roll granted is the same. (Though you could go for power over uses with the items, I think that'd be a mistake.) This is very worrying, since a Refinement's worth of defence items is really powerful even without a Crafting bonus.

And it's possible to be a reasonably supernatural optimal character with Lore -1 > defence skills and no Thaumaturgy. I can provide examples if you like.

Eh.

I know that you can block social attacks with magic. But I'm not sure a single spell could cover every possible social attack. I'm not sure I'd let you make a single item that works against both a rumour that you're a pedophile and an attempt to scare you.

Also, physical defence items are apparently unique among enchanted items in that they can be activated without an action. Whether the same exception applies to social items is up for debate.

I'm not saying social defence items are a definite no-go, but they're not a definite go either.

PS: My dislike of AFSA isn't just about the power itself. It's also about the precedent it sets. The Power itself is overpowered, but the problem gets infinitely worse when you add in a version for each skill.
PPS: I also dislike it for being a stunt in a Power costume. One of the major reasons that stunts are balanced is that most Powers aren't just a stunt with a little extra juice.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
And it's possible to be a reasonably supernatural optimal character with Lore -1 > defence skills and no Thaumaturgy. I can provide examples if you like.
I know you were addressing the remark to Grymor. But I am curious. Please do.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
Sure.

Here's a blaster.

Mikhail Raskolnikov (Chest Deep)

High Concept: Pyromancer
Trouble Aspect: I Really Like Blowing Stuff Up
Other Aspects: Atrophied Wizardry, Very Very Old
Skills:
Superb: Conviction, Lore
Great: Discipline, Investigation
Good: Alertness, Athletics
Fair: Stealth, Craftsmanship
Average: Endurance, Deceit
Powers:
Channeling (Fire) [-2]
Refinement [-4]
The Sight [-1]
Soulgaze [-0]
Wizard's Constitution [-0]
Magic:
Foci: Right-Hand Staff (+4 offensive fire power), Left-Hand Staff (+5 offensive fire control), Belt (+1 defensive fire power)
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Here's an assassin.

Steven Black (Feet In The Water)

High Concept: Shade-Blooded Assassin
Trouble Aspect: Trying To Go Straight
Other Aspects: Expert On Weaknesses, Creature Of The Night
Skills:
Great: Guns, Lore
Good: Alertness, Stealth
Fair: Deceit, Athletics
Average: Endurance, Fists
Stunts:
Expert On Weaknesses (Lore): +2 to Lore when using it for ways to kill things.
Powers:
Cloak Of Shadows [-1]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch (Bright Light) [+3]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Here's a non-combatant.

Eliza Dunningham (Feet In The Water)

High Concept: Emissary Of Janus
Trouble Aspect: Supernatural Politics
Other Aspects: Too Clever, Seen Some Seriously Strange Stuff
Skills:
Great: Lore, Deceit
Good: Presence, Rapport
Fair: Empathy, Resources
Average: Conviction, Discipline
Stunts:
Nevernever Contacts (Lore): Use Lore for Contacts in the Nevernever.
Powers:
Marked By Power [-1]
Worldwalker [-2]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

All three are fragile but competent. They're not optimized to the hilt, but they're respectably powerful. AFSA fixes their fragility, so they should all take it if they want to be as powerful as possible. But it doesn't fit any of their concepts. This is a problem.

Incidentally, the number of examples explodes if you consider homebrew. That's another reason I dislike AFSA; it messes with the design space for homebrew.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
A slight tweak to the pyro would easily solve the problem. The key here is to remember wizards gain a sort of prescience as they grow older. As I see it, there is space within the concept of an atrophied wizard to have AFSA, it could well be the remnants of his Thaum.

The assassin and the non-combatant are. Well actually I am at a lost for words. Because I think that they only brush the bottom rungs of powerful in certain circumstances and this is with respect to their Refresh level.

I am trying not to be offensive, so please don't take this the wrong way.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:51:25 PM by toturi »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
Don't worry, I'm not going to be offended by that.

I'm well aware that these aren't super-powerful characters. As I said before, this is just moderate optimization; avoiding stupid choices and making characters that can do their job.

I understand that you wouldn't play Steven Black. But he's head and shoulders above pretty much everything in OW in terms of optimization. And judging by the characters I've seen other people make, he's a bit stronger than the average Feet In The Water PC.

Balancing the game isn't just about keeping the absolute maximum power level from getting too high. Moderately optimal characters matter too.

As for the pyro...I know I could tweak his concept to justify AFSA. But I shouldn't have to. This is what I mean when I say that AFSA obviates concepts.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Sanctaphrax: Okay, I think I see better where you're coming from now, and put in those terms, AFSA might not be the best designed power. As I said before, it just plain doesn't make sense to me for it to be a bonus in Social situations too, so would dropping those make it palatable for the cost it has now?

But AFSA is better than a Refinement's worth of defence items for a non-Crafter. It's not gear dependent, it can be boosted with Aspect invokes, and it can be used infinitely. The items are lose-able, non-boostable, and only have 3 free uses each. The defence roll granted is the same. (Though you could go for power over uses with the items, I think that'd be a mistake.) This is very worrying, since a Refinement's worth of defence items is really powerful even without a Crafting bonus.
Defensive items have one other advantage over a roll: Consistency. A Block:5 defensive item doesn't have a risk of rolling badly. And going by what I've read elsewhere, I think you can boost them with aspect invokes (I seem to remember one of the designers saying you could invoke on a +2 for anything in the game that has a number).

I know that you can block social attacks with magic. But I'm not sure a single spell could cover every possible social attack. I'm not sure I'd let you make a single item that works against both a rumour that you're a pedophile and an attempt to scare you.
Just as an aside, the villain in my current scenario has a defensive item that might well be used socially and physically--he's a chronomancer, so he has a Block:6 belt that works by rewinding time a handful of seconds to before he was hit so he can get out of the way properly this time. It's a neat effect where it just looks like he dodged--except to the PCs, who have talismans to protect their minds against time travel effects, so they see him getting hit -and- rewinding to dodge at the same time. It could work socially in the sense of either giving him more time to think of a good comeback, or trying again if he tries a comeback that falls flat.

Sure.

Here's a blaster.

Mikhail Raskolnikov (Chest Deep)

High Concept: Pyromancer

Here's an assassin.

Steven Black (Feet In The Water)

High Concept: Shade-Blooded Assassin

Here's a non-combatant.

Eliza Dunningham (Feet In The Water)

High Concept: Emissary Of Janus

Quick point of fact: The Pyromancer can't benefit from AFSA because it'd put him over the refresh limit.

All three are fragile but competent. They're not optimized to the hilt, but they're respectably powerful. AFSA fixes their fragility, so they should all take it if they want to be as powerful as possible.
Now, Eliza is kind of what I was talking about before. If the player wanted to be "as powerful as possible," then they'd have at least given her some kind of physical skill--as it is, while she could avoid a lot of attacks with AFSA, she can't do anything to fight back, and she's got no Physical stress track to speak of, so if anything with a weapon rating hits her, she's not going to last long. She kind of strikes me as someone designed deliberately to not be a combatant, in which case AFSA doesn't do much for her except prolong the inevitable.

But it doesn't fit any of their concepts. This is a problem.
I'd argue as a "very old wizard" the Pyromancer could take it without any tweak--as is pointed out in the canon, wizards develop a sort of prescience on their own anyway, which AFSA could certainly be used to represent. And come to think of it, so could Eliza--Janus is a god of time, after all.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:03:59 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast