Author Topic: Dice Roller  (Read 2660 times)

Dr.FunLove

Dice Roller
« on: April 17, 2013, 12:48:25 AM »
So, it seems like Invisible Castle might be down for the count. Has anyone found a similar dice roller online (I know I haven't yet)?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Dice Roller
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:58:36 AM »
I'm as lost as you at the moment. I was thinking of implementing one if I find the time, but that doesn't look good right now.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »
The problem I am finding with alternatives is the lack of link-ability. You would think there would be more options online eh?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:40:05 AM »
I'm just googling things and seeing what there is.  I just tried this site...not sure how good it is, but you can embed images of your rolls.    http://rolz.org/  Here's a test

You make a "room" and all your players log into it and you can check out all the rolls there...I think.

Edit:  it has some glitches...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:06:36 AM by Taran »

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:47:51 AM »
Yea, that was the best one I found - you have to embed the roll as an image though, had not caught on to that. Until further notice Taran we'll be using that when Odyssey starts up. I'll post it over in the OOC in the morning.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:53:49 AM »
Apparently this site does fudge rolls. Do 4U1 and it will generate a Fudge Dice roll of -4 to +4.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:20 AM »
Yea, that was the best one I found - you have to embed the roll as an image though, had not caught on to that. Until further notice Taran we'll be using that when Odyssey starts up. I'll post it over in the OOC in the morning.

You could always use the link to the image instead of the image itself.
4d3-8=-1

@bobjob....huh?  how?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:24:02 AM by Taran »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 01:49:04 PM »
Ive used various bits of the RPTools.net toolset.  They tend towards network operated programs more than a hosted site/service, but they are good, macro-able, and versatile for difference types of dice-rolling (d20 straight rolls, WhiteWolf style threshold successes, and most anything else you can name).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »
@bobjob....huh?  how?

I don't know how... but the website says it can do it and I tested it a couple hundred times last night to make sure. I never received a roll above +4 or below -4.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 02:42:39 PM »
@Taran
Good point - sadly, still not as good as Invsibile Castle but we'll make it work!

@bobjob
The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to add bonuses to the roll. Granted, I have really had a chance to play around with the site too much yet.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »
I added bonuses with no problem. Just input 4U1+3 (for a +3 bonus). You can also add multiple bonuses (+3+2+2). My only real problem is it does not show you what each individual dice is doing on each roll, just a final number. That's fine, but I always kind of liked that Invisible Castle would give you what made up each roll.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »
Huh...I'll have to try it again - I know I was having some problems getting the bonuses to work. As long as either forumla works I'm good.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »
Where is this??  Can you give me a link or an example?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:31:04 PM by Taran »

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
The website is http://rolz.org/. I've linked you a few different rolls I've made using the code 4U1 (for the dice) +3 (for a skill modifier). I've also included a snippet of the website that explains how to roll Fudge dice.

Fudge Rolls: if you want dice to have values from -X to +X, use "U" instead of "D" in the dice code, followed by X.
Example: 4U1

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »
Ah...o.k, my bad.  Somehow I thought you were saying *this* site had a dice-roller - as in the dresden site.  :P