Author Topic: My first Dresden Files / Fate character. Can I get some feedback/advice?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Bedurndurn

• Participant
    • View Profile
So our group played the Neutral Grounds adventure, had fun and now we're about to start an Up To Your Waist level game set in Boston. We did all the character background/city creation stuff this last week, but we haven't done any of the mechanics of character creation yet. Can I get some feedback on the aspects and character build I've got so far?

I'll put the big blocks of text in spoiler tags so it'll (hopefully) be easier to read:

The Rest of the Party
  • Det. Martin O'Shaughnessy - Psychic BPD Detective with 6 months till retirement
  • Mei Ling Yi - Kung Fu Librarian of the Boston Public Library
  • Thomas St. Germaine - Immortal Diplomat for the Italian Consulate
  • Zoe - Late Blooming Steampunk-themed Sorceress
  • Melissa McCarthy - Philanthropic Hotel Heiress Wizard

My PC: Rookie Detective Rebecca Sullivan

Template: Supernatural Guardian
(click to show/hide)

Aspects:
High Concept - Boston's Finest Supernatural Guardian
Trouble - I'm on an (involuntary) mission from God.
If you were from where I'm from, you'd be dead.
(click to show/hide)
It's better to be lucky than good
(click to show/hide)
Tiny bull in a china shop
(click to show/hide)
Finally! Something I'm allowed to punch!
(click to show/hide)
I get by with a little help from my friends.
(click to show/hide)

So that's the aspects from going through the phases. Like I said, none of us really have Fate experience, so I'm not sure if these are good aspects or not.

So here's the crunchy bits of the character:

Skills
Great(2)   : Might, Intimidate
Good (2)   : Athletics, Weapons
Fair (3)   : Rapport, Empathy, Stealth
Average (5)   : Conviction, Discipline, Endurance, Presence, Something?

Stunts/Powers
   Supernatural Strength (-4)
   Supernatural Toughness (-4)
   The Catch (Pure Mortals (at least 6 billion of them +2, Researchable +1)) +3
   Visions of St. Patrick (0) - A re-theme of Cassandra's Tears

Adjusted Refresh: 2

So here's my thoughts about the crunchy bits:
  • I want a bunch more skill points than I actually get. Looking up, I didn't even manage to grab any of Alertness, Investigation, Contacts, Guns, or Fists. Probably one of those should replace Steath at Fair.
  • Weapons and Fists being separate skills is kind of a bummer. For this character, who can pick up pretty much anything, Weapons is probably my best bet. (Fists is a real :P skill, it's an attack with no bonus damage and a defense against almost nothing [in a setting where people are going to shoot guns and fireballs at you].)
  • Character-wise, I want her to be strong (I bought Supernatural strength after all) and snarky, so that's why they ended up as my peak skills. I have no idea how well that'll work in play.
  • Should I ditch Empathy and Rapport at Fair? I'm obviously a much better playing bad-cop instead of good-cop, should I leave that role to another member of the party? If so, any recommendations on what to pick up in their place?
  • My catch is pure mortals. We're planning on a mob-heavy campaign, so that's probably going to come up pretty often. Is that too broad/too narrow/cheesy/just right/etc for 3 points? Is supernatural toughness a good choice or would a mix of toughness and recovery be better? Maybe just recovery (she's certainly strong enough that she could wear a vest in most situations and her background supports it)?
  • I've got 1 more point of refresh that I could spend. How/should I spend it? My mental defense is currently 1, so moving that trapping to Intimidate would be prudent. I could probably move using melee weapons to Might (call it 'What I lack in skill, I make up in enthusiasm') and that would free up a Good-level slot. Maybe Infuriate?
  • Is Supernatural strength worth it? I could go Inhuman Strength/Speed for the same point total. Alternatively, Inhuman Strength and 2 more free fate points? Maybe Inhuman Strength and 2 more stunts? Currently Rebecca is really, really awesome at grappling (Fantastic, actually), but maybe that's not a prudent way to spend points?
  • Am I just way overthinking things? As a group we mainly play fairly combat-heavy D&D and Savage Worlds games, so I'm used to working a lot on the crunch of my characters. Most of the OW-monsters don't seem that tough though, so I'll probably be okay regardless, right?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Character looks fine.

Skill list could use some refinement, though. The skills you listed in your first thought would all be worth adding, and I think lowering Rapport and Empathy would probably be a good idea. Your character doesn't sound like a smooth social operator.

A stunt to swing around large heavy melee weapons with Might sounds like a good idea to me. (All melee weapons might be a bit broad.) It would open up a lot of room in your skill list, and Great attacks at weapon 7 are nothing to sneeze at.

The Catch seems about right. I could quibble about the exact formula, but that's rarely productive.

Supernatural Strength is definitely worth it. It's not clearly superior to other options, but it's pretty awesome. With it and Great Might, you can lift or break with an effective skill of 10. That's enough to lift cars or crush them barehanded.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I'd flip Might and Weapons, at the very least.  Your Sup. Strength gives you more than enough bonuses to Might for the majority of its applications, and if you're fighting with weapons you're less likely to grapple.  +1 to Weapons will be a bigger deal than -1 on Might (you're still an effective strength of 9, still crushing cars barehanded).

Personally, I'd make the skill list look a bit more like this:

Great(2): Weapons, Intimidate (You've got your attacks as accurate as can be both socially and physically this way.  With Intimidate this high, you're probably going to be a bit of a bully, solving cases through brute force rather than investigative skill.)

Good (2): Athletics, Endurance (That stress box is important, and you need to be able to not get shot.)

Fair (3): Investigation, Alertness, Might (You're still bending steel with your bare hands at an effective "Legendary" for most things, you grapple at Great, and now you have some cop skills.  Additionally Alertness at fair means you'll go somewhere in the middle of combat rather than the end.)

Average (5): Conviction, Discipline, Presence, Guns, Drive (With your aspects, all stealth'll get compelled away anyway.  Drive gives you knowledge of city streets, etc.  It's more useful than you'd think when you're in pursuit on foot.  Guns is really here because a cop should have it.)

Just a suggestion.  Feel free to completely ignore it, copy it, or adjust it.  I've got my reasoning there, but this isn't by any means the only good skill set you could have, just how I'd refine it.  I'm sure other posters would disagree with it, and the utility of some skills depends on the GM and playstyle (Drive vs. Contacts at Average, specifically). 

One thing, though.  I'd only ever make Might when I had strength powers my peak skill if I were planning on Grappling or had a stunt to make it more useful in combat.  Hell, I've got a character in our games with Sup. Strength who didn't take Might because she figured the +6 was plenty and wanted more skills.  She's still the strongest on the team and the damage bonus is independent of skills.

Offline easl

• Participant
    • View Profile
  • I want a bunch more skill points than I actually get. Looking up, I didn't even manage to grab any of Alertness, Investigation, Contacts, Guns, or Fists. Probably one of those should replace Steath at Fair.

There is no ideal way in cannon to handle this, but there are a couple of kludges.  Kludge 1: take an aspect like "jack of all trades" or "been around the block" specifically designed to let you use fate points to shore up lower skills.  Kludge 2: take a stunt.  Remember, stunts can be changed between sessions so having one lets you effectively shift around a little bonus on a regular basis. Kludge 3: take Beast Change but rename it something like "broad training" and have it be purely internal. take all your knowledge and social skills in one set, and all your physical skills in another.  In essence, for -1 you double your skill allocations.  It may not be a great fit for your detective but I think this third option works well with spy- or military- type templates, where the character is expected to have a decent, upstanding moral side but be able to switch to killer in a few seconds.  Kludge 4: increase your Conviction and take Guide My Hand.  Link it to your prime concept (protecting the city or whatever).  This lets you use a fate point to substitute Conviction for any skill.  Remember, one of the True Faith wielders in the Dresden Files is an atheist, so nothing says Guide has to have a deity as a source.  Any powerful ideology will do.

• My catch is pure mortals. We're planning on a mob-heavy campaign, so that's probably going to come up pretty often. Is that too broad/too narrow/cheesy/just right/etc for 3 points? Is supernatural toughness a good choice or would a mix of toughness and recovery be better? Maybe just recovery (she's certainly strong enough that she could wear a vest in most situations and her background supports it)?

Personally I'd give you the 4-point catch because its incredibly easy to figure that out on the fly.  The moment Henchmen 1 tears through your defenses, Big Bad observing from the background (or getting the after-action report) knows your weakness. But that's just me.

Maybe the best way to handle the cost is to ask yourself how easy YOU, the player, want it to be to find out your catch.  Remember this is storytelling; for 0, practically nobody in the story will put 2 and 2 together, even if its obvious.  For -1, its probably like an action movie: the story antagonists will be inordinately slow to figure it out, but the smart ones will do so eventually.  For -2, you are making your personal story more realistic, where the bad guys are as smart as the players and figure stuff out after one or two encounters.   Rather than asking what the cost ought to be (based on realism), ask yourself which of those story types do you want your pc to star in? Do you want finding our your catch to be a regular part of your game sessions, something that happens occasionally, or something that never happens?[/list]

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
While my intent isn't to argue catch values, but it bares mention that +4 catch isn't possible with the Supernatural tier powers.  A Catch cannot give a complete rebate, the power always has to cost something.  This applies to anything that gives a refresh rebate.

I only mention this because the OP sad he and his group were new to the game.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
well...it's possible for the purposes of research and availability - but it's still going to cost 1 refresh.  It might matter later if they're going to upgrade to a bigger power.

Offline Bedurndurn

• Participant
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice everybody! I think I'm going to go with InFerrum's skill suggestions (You make a good point about Great weapons being more useful than Great Might, especially since the lift/breaking trappings are getting +6 from my strength power). I'll also keep the cost of the catch in mind if I get to add more powers down the line.

I had a bit of a questions about the 'spirit' of the Fate rules. You guys mentioned that I'd probably get compelled out of a stealthy approach to problems, so Stealth wasn't a good skill choice for me. Is it a compel if I'm asked to do a straightforward approach if being stealthy wasn't really an option anyway (say because I've left it at Mediocre?), or is that not a compel because my actions aren't restricted because I had no viable way to be stealthy in the first place?

That might not be clear, so I'll rephrase. If my aspects dictate a certain approach to a problem, is being 'forced' to act in that manner a compel (and thus a fate point) even though I have no relevant skills or abilities to approach the problem a different way?

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I'd still consider it a Compel, even if the particular approach isn't likely to be successful.

Consider - Without the Compel, the character would still be able to roll the dice, tag Aspects and could possibly manage to get a good result. With the Compel, there is no longer that possibility. You have given it up, for a Fate Point.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Also, if you have time to prepare and some imagination, even base-Mediocre Stealth can succeed without a ton of FPs backing it up.  If you use Declarations or Maneuvers with any of Athletics, Investigation, Alertness, Might, or Discipline, you could set up a few free tags and get a quite respectable bonus.

As toturi said, though, your Aspects call for a compel to require some sort of straightforward approach.  (You still have options--compels never state "you must take exactly these actions"--but if you accept the compel and the FP, your course of action must be consistent with the Aspects that were compelled.)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I'd like to add that some GMs take a different view on this issue. Some GMs see it that if the course of action does not land the character into more trouble or substantively hinder the character, then the player does not get a Fate Point. Most often I have seen this line of thought used for compels on the Trouble Aspect.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
What everyone else said.  Also note that you are playing with a group.  Maybe you don't have a very good stealth skill but your wizard may be able to lay on a fine veil.  Refusing to allow the wizard to veil you might be part of the compel...

It has to complicate things.  If your whole group was going to crash a party anyways, then you probably wouldn't get a FP.  If your party is trying to infiltrate quietly and you start smashing up the place, that'll be a compel.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
If my aspects dictate a certain approach to a problem, is being 'forced' to act in that manner a compel (and thus a fate point) even though I have no relevant skills or abilities to approach the problem a different way?

If the GM uses your Aspects to force you to do something, it's a Compel.

So if the GM says "you're a TINY BULL IN A CHINA SHOP so you can't sneak in disguised as a maid" then that's a Compel, but if the GM says "feel free to try to sneak in disguised as a maid, but bear in mind you probably won't succeed" then that's not a Compel.

Generally speaking, the GM shouldn't hand out Compels that don't meaningfully complicate the lives of their players.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
It has to complicate things.  If your whole group was going to crash a party anyways, then you probably wouldn't get a FP.  If your party is trying to infiltrate quietly and you start smashing up the place, that'll be a compel.
Generally speaking, the GM shouldn't hand out Compels that don't meaningfully complicate the lives of their players.
Therein lies the crux of the matter. What is meant by "meaningfully complicate"? If I was going to have my character storm the front door anyway, does that mean that it is not a Compel? If I storm the front door while the rest of the group infiltrate the compound, does it count as a Compel? The character was inclined to crash the party anyway. I have seen GMs use the player's original course of action as a litmus test for handing out Compels and FPs, thinking that since the player was going to do it anyway, then it obviously does not meaningfully complicate his life.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I have seen GMs use the player's original course of action as a litmus test for handing out Compels and FPs, thinking that since the player was going to do it anyway, then it obviously does not meaningfully complicate his life.

I can absolutely understand that reasoning, but it does go against the note on self-compelling and retroactive fate points in the RAW. That passage to me means that whether or not the player was being compelled beforehand or not, if acting along the characters Aspects create complications, that's grounds for a FP.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
It's tough. 

From a GM perspective, its a little bit of the table's call.  Usually, I see if the player playing this way screws with other players plans.  If it complicates the groups plans, then I say it complicates the player's life. 

I can always compel other players to try and counteract this setback too.  Like the incredibly stealthy guy with an aspect "Time for Contingency Plan B...or Was it C?".

But I love it when a plan falls apart so thoroughly that it comes together again.  It's a trope that my group enjoys.