Author Topic: bikes  (Read 1128 times)

Offline semke11

• Lurker
    • View Profile
bikes
« on: March 22, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
I am going to GM a DFRPG game set in the Netherlands, where I live. This means that we will, most likely, use bikes really often. I already decided to put the resources requirement for 'owning a bike' to mediocre - every dutchman can be expected to own a bike, after al - and  I have understood that riding a bike is covered by the driving skill. but.

where should I start caling endurance rolls? does a bike have a stress track when you use it a lot? what do you do if you want to kick someone of a bike? what skill is used if you use your bike to drive into an opponent? can you declare an unlocked bike when you walk down the street, and you need one?

does anybody have experience with this?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:26:23 PM »
Don't overthink it.

Most of the time, the bike will just be the way to get from one scene to the next. Not even a need for a roll. If they are pressed for time, you could ask for an endurance roll, to see if they can keep up a good speed, in order to get to their destination in time. A general rule for fate is: if failure isn't interesting, don't roll.

What kind of scenes would you see that would be actually set on a bike? A chase? Just use drive as an attack roll and athletics to dodge. Or maybe even Athletics to attack as well, might fit more with riding a bike. Kicking someone could be done simply by the fists skill, like anything else. In a chase, falling off the bike would likely be a taken out result.

Declaring an unlocked bike in the street should be no problem, if you are in a city that has already been established as having tons of bikes everywhere.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
If bikes are that common, then you can easily use a Declaration to say "I get an unlocked bike."  Driving a bike into an opponent will require a contest of skill: Your Driving/Biking (or quite possibly your own Athletics) vs target's Athletics or Alertness. 
Getting knocked off the bike will be another contest of skills.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:46:48 PM »
For the most part I'd just call a bike an Aspect. Invoke or Compel the Aspect whenever you want it to have a mechanical effect.

I could rustle up some chase rules and some vehicle combat rules if you want to use those, though.

Offline semke11

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »
thanks for the tips everyone!