Author Topic: Question about Wards  (Read 1701 times)

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
Question about Wards
« on: March 23, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »
I have a player who has asked if, since magical energy is generated by living things, it was possible to use specially grown plants/trees to sustain wards?

Because of the fluid nature of the rule system, I did not know if it was permitable.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Wards
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »
Use the plants how? As an anchor for wards protecting a threshold? Or as a threshold on its own in the middle of nowhere?
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »
He texted me the question and I posted it as he had. I am assuming his intent was for the plants to serve as a source of magical power to sustain the wards, as not to draw from his personal energy.

Use the plants how? As an anchor for wards protecting a threshold? Or as a threshold on its own in the middle of nowhere?
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
Um. Ok.  I think you're operating under the assumption that Dresden magic works like Eragon magic, where energy for spells must come from something's life energy. That's not the case. In fact, Thaumaturgy, like Wards, don't have to cost any stress to the faster at all.

Now, you could use the plants to enhance the Ward's strength by two by saying,"I have a bunch of magically prepared plants that can help with these Wards.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
ah... ok. That helps a lot. Thank you

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
Of course, that takes either a Fate Point or a roll to maneuver. I'd be fine with using Lore (I know grow these plants specially), Resources (I can buy these plants), or Contacts (I know a guy who can get me these plants).
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »
Of course, that takes either a Fate Point or a roll to maneuver. I'd be fine with using Lore (I know grow these plants specially), Resources (I can buy these plants), or Contacts (I know a guy who can get me these plants).
I'd also suggest Survival (I know the properties of plants, and collected these ones with this purpose in mind)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough