Author Topic: Sponsored Magic from a Location: Eldritch Calgary Players Stay Out!  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic from a Location: Eldritch Calgary Players Stay Out!
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
So I had a thought in the shower this morning. I was pondering using the Formor in a game and it hit me: The magic could provide Water Evocation. A gift of the Formor wanting to get itself out. The player with it would have to track 2 sets of Sponsor Debt: one for the Ley-Line construct keeping the prisoner in, and one for the Fomorian Giant below. What do people think?
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
That'd be fine, and indisputably make it normal cost.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
Even better, don't let the player know that he has two sponsors.  At least not right away.

Narratively that's cool, and gives you a good reason to provide a seemingly conflicting agenda.  Mechanically I would just roll it all into one Sponsored Magic and have one Debt Pool.  Although if you dont mind the hassle of accounting two pools then that's fine too.

If you go the two pool route then it might be interesting to throw in an extra gimmick.  Something like the larger debt pool is gaining more influence and power over the world it interacts with via the conduit of the caster.  So use too much water evocation with Sponsor debt and maybe the Fomor can make some kind of attack against the prison to try and escape. 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »
As long as your player is okay with tracking two sets of debt, that oughta be perfectly fine.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 11:32:12 PM »
Hey, I'm about to update the Sponsored Magic list. Should I add this? If so, which version of this?

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »
This is the final version we went with:

GIFT OF THE CONFLUX [-4]
Description: Tapping into the Ley-Line construct in Nose Hill Park, you've managed to channel a portion of it's great energy...however now you are bound to be a keeper of that which sleeps beneath.
Sponsor: The Ley-Line Construct that holds a Formorian Giant.
Agenda: The prison was constructed to keep the giant imprisoned, and you are now responsible for keeping the prison secure. Occasional dark impulses favoring the Formor and it's release bubble up...but how bad could it be?
Evocation: The Gift of the Conflux Water magic in the form of the Formians. This includes magic of the deeps, like pressure as well as basic Water Evocations.
Thaumaturgy:The Gift of the conflux provides the ability to use Summoning and Binding Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Any Thaumaturgy cast with the Gift of the Conflux can be done with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: The Gift of the Conflux gives a +1 bonus to Complexity and Power for Summoning and Binding. Additionally you may use your specializations when using Summoning and Binding at the speed of evocation.
Note: The Gift of the Conflux provides two sources of Sponsor Debt. When incurred using Binding and Summoning powers (at Evocation or Regular speed) debt is accrued with the Ley Line prison. When incurred using the Evocations, debt is accrued with the Formorian giant that is imprisoned.
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 04:53:25 AM »
I posted revised Sponsored Magics for the next list update. If you could look and tell me whether I screwed anything up, I'd appreciate it.