Author Topic: I need a catch  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: I need a catch
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »
Hmm. I will have to ask my GM because I dont think we are playing in a standard Dresdenverse.

I would make a case that any demon would qualify as having unholy quality on their attacks as would any angel have holy on their attacks

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 09:37:46 PM »
I'd call the claws of a demon or Denarian unholy, personally.

What does +1/4 mean though? I always found limitation confusing

Aw, really?

That's kind of depressing. I used to be really proud of Limitation. But it seems like only a few people understand it.

Not sure why, it seems dead simple to me.

+1/4 means +0.25 or +25%. You get a quarter of the Refresh you spend on the limited Powers back.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
OH. Well that makes a lot more sense. I feel that it should be worded better, especially when we talk about +1 and +3, the +1/4 and +1/2 confused me. Now that you say its +1/4 of powers spent, that makes much more sense.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 10:11:36 PM »
I would dearly like to make Limitation easier to comprehend. If you have suggestions, I am listening.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:27 PM »
That would be my suggestion. Say that you gain +1/4 of the powers spent, maybe put in an example. IE [Ex. +1/4 of Supernatural Toughness {-4} is +1]

Also I have another question and this is just because I dont know if I can do this. This is how I stated the character:

The Catch [+4]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Human Form Affecting: [+1]
Supernatural Recovery [-2]
Supernatural Toughness [-2]

The question being would the catch be +4 or +3?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
I'd let you have the +4, but remind you that it's not going to get any harder to hurt you when you're 'powered down'.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 04:58:12 AM »
Even if Holy and Unholy stuff is common as dirt, I'd be surprised if you're well known enough that everyone knows that's how to hurt you...so I'd bet on that being a +3 Catch. Still...if it is +4 that construction's completely legal.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 06:51:38 AM »
Ok looking for help with a stunt now, figured I would use the same thread.

The mind endures(or something like that): You may use endurance to defend against the mental attack of demons

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »
Yeah, that works mechanically. Thematically, it's a GM's call thing, but mechanically it's cool.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »
Would there be any bonus since it is specific to one type of creature?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »
Probably not, you don't get to move an entire trapping like mental defense without some sort of limiting factor anyway...demons is a bit narrow though, maybe 'creatures of darkness' (ie: anything with Holy Stuff as a Catch)?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
Ok. So how about this stunt? (Obviously this would be GM approval as well but just mechanics wise)

Know Thine Enemy: You have studied a particular creature in depth and know their attacks inside and out. You may use lore as either a mental or physical defense to a certain creature type. The type of defense must be specified upon taking this power.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
Ok. So how about this stunt? (Obviously this would be GM approval as well but just mechanics wise)

Know Thine Enemy: You have studied a particular creature in depth and know their attacks inside and out. You may use lore as either a mental or physical defense to a certain creature type. The type of defense must be specified upon taking this power.

explain how that would work with your character? storywise
Like for example, you play a Gun Nut, so you take a stunt that lets your Roll your Gun Skill instead of Scholarship when it comes to Gun based knowledge.

So your character is a Half Demon Half Angel
your character knows "Demons"  he uses his Lore Knowledge of Demons to defend himself against "Fist" attacks from Demons? How?
Now MENTAL Attacks, I would buy.
I like the Stunt but I think it needs to be more specific.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
Meh, thats fine. I was planning on using it for mental attacks anyway.

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
Even if Holy and Unholy stuff is common as dirt, I'd be surprised if you're well known enough that everyone knows that's how to hurt you...so I'd bet on that being a +3 Catch. Still...if it is +4 that construction's completely legal.
A +2 for how commonly known a catch should be more a question of immediate obviousness (e.g., "It's a demon, someone get a cross") than whether someone knows it's you.