Author Topic: Other-setting's creatures  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Other-setting's creatures
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »
It'll be fine :)

Does that mean you want 'em, or not? I'm confused.  ???

But, back to the MT-werewolves - What about the dominant? It is ability, which allows more powerful werewolves command weaker packmates, and allows every werewolves command human. This is not hypnosis, rather like a very strong intimidation and persuasion.

Being dominant isn't a supernatural ability per se. Especially not as applied to humans (where it's mostly just applied body language and force of personality). I'd personally handle it mostly by comparative Presence scores, dominant werewolves getting that as part of their High Concept, which they can invoke when appropriate, and compels on less dominant werewolves to obey their superiors (and on dominant werewolves to protect their lessers). A few particularly powerful alphas might get Incite Emotion (Obedience/Submission) with various extras, but not every werewolf who's got a dominant streak needs that.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Does that mean you want 'em, or not?
Yes, of course, I want. I mean, I will be glad to read it.
Being dominant isn't a supernatural ability per se.
Let me disagree. Just remember 1st book. Warren's boyfriend told Mercy about five drunken toughs, who try to harass them. Five. Versus two guys (and gays!). And Warren dispersed them without raising his voice. Those bullies can't be   scared in such a situation without supernatural influence. It is psychologically impossible.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:20:27 AM by Tirs »
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
Yes, of course, I wont. I mean, I will be glad to read it.

Cool. Here's that, then:

Addictive Blood [+0]
Blood Drinker [-1]
Echoes of the Beast (Extra Trapping: Can identify things by blood-smell with Alertness) [-1]
Incite Emotion (Obedience, Lasting Emotion, Requires direct eye contact instead of touch) [-2]

Human Form [+2], completely helpless during the day, lose powers as long as they are touched by silver, applying to everything except
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
The Catch is Sunlight, Silver, and Stakes Through the Heart [+4]

Feeding Dependency (Blood) [+1] effecting;
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Supernatural Recovery [-4]

Total: -7 Refresh.

Elders may gain other enhancements on any powers already listed, shapeshiftng of various sorts, or Wings with Human Guise to represent flight. Most of the vampires we see are old enough to have the Supernatural level in at least one physical area. Again, the Catch is so high because vampires are public, in the Dresdenverse it would likely drop to +3 upping them to -8 Refresh.

Let me disagree. Just remember 1st book. Warren's boyfriend told Mercy about five drunken toughs, who try to harass them. Five. Versus two guys (and gays!). And Warren dispersed them without raising his voice. Those bullies can't be   scared in such a situation without supernatural influence. It is psychologically impossible.

Uh...I know people personally who have done that. Not many, and not quite the way Warren did, but it's very possible to intimidate people like that in that situation. Especially bullies who, all cliches aside, often really are cowardly, or at least looking for people who will back down before them.

In game terms, he has a high Intimidate score backed up by complete confidence, and maybe invoking his High Concept. No need for superpowers.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »
I find one mistake.
Echoes of the Beast [-1]
Pack Instincts [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
The Catch is silver [+4] (The supernatural is public in the Mercyverse, and silver bullets are both universally known and stocked in every gun store...in the Dresdenverse, this probably drops to +3)

Feeding Restriction (Meat) [+1] effecting all of;
Beast Change [-1]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
Human Form [+2] effecting only; (Mercyverse werewolves take several minutes to shift and are well-nigh helpless when doing so...it's not usually an option in the middle of combat)
Claws [-1]
Cloak of Shadows [-1]
Supernatural Recovery [-2] (This is special: It's basically the act of shapeshifting that heals them...the distinction is mostly meaningless, but might be compelled to have them not use this power during combat or some such, and certainly means they need to be conscious to utilize it)

That's only -8 Refresh (-9 if the supernatural is secret). Now, being a real alpha or something might well include other powers...but they're hardly starting characters.

Yeah, this I agree with completely. If you insert werewolves ala the Mercyverse into the Dresdenverse you need to seriously consider how they fit in with the setting. The Marrok's almost certainly gonna be a signatory of the Unseelie Accords, for example.

This on the other hand, I disagree with. Compels and Invocations of Aspects tend to model this kind of narrative interaction perfectly, making Fate one of the better games to do this with. You obviously need to keep it to cameos or give the PCs some reason not to go running to them for help (or them some reason not to help) so that the PCs remain the stars of the show...but that hardly makes their presence impossible or anything...just something you need to be very careful with.
As I remember, they can heal themselves in any form.
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »
I find one mistake. As I remember, they can heal themselves in any form.

They can! That's not what Human For [+2] does, not by default anyway, it means they lose their powers under certain circumstances not under their control...such as when touched by silver or when sleeping during the day. Check out the Lycanthrope template in YS for another example of the drawback being used this way.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
Hi again, and... I need help again :(
The fact that I decided to develop a community of werewolves for RPG Dresden Files. I took a setting Mercy Thompson took as the basis for this purpose, but it must be improved, becouse DF-fractions are more centralized and large. I modified the hierarchy and "bureaucracy", but 1 question arised.
  I can't find a "political" organization, Familys or Counsil. There are some ideas (inspired by the World of Darkness), but I'm not sure that it is suitable for games.
My suggestion is 3-4 "clans":
Some "Warriors". Strong and skilled fighters who stand up for the first of its kind from the threats of the physical world or Nevernever.
Some "Citizens". The most civilian werewolves who looking for power through the influence in human society.
Some "Traditionalists". Those who prefer to live in the open air or in the countryside, are strong in witchcraft and all sorts of clever guerrilla tactics.
  Of course, this is a very simplified model. But I can not think of a more interesting ideas for the tribes, which would work in the worldscale. I have an idea how enrich it, but I need a pattern for the original concept of "clans". Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 01:42:37 AM »
To me, if it is not something already covered in Dresden, I see no problem.

A while back, I was toying with the Puck race from the Leandros Bros series by Rob Thurman, which have not been covered in the Dresden novels. Her take on them is there was an original, who was also the first Hobgoblin.
(click to show/hide)

I wanted to make a npc who was this style of Puck. Never finished it and it fell to the wayside.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner