Author Topic: Help a new guy, please  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Somerset Pierce

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Help a new guy, please
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this. A couple friends and I are wanting to give the RPG a go, but I'm having trouble with initial character creation. We're doing a waist deep game post Dead Beat. I would like to create a Warden, but don't want an exact copy of Carlos.

My idea is to do a sort of "Last Blade of Luccio" concept where my character received the last sword she crafted before her body jump. Him being a Warden in the East Coast (Our game is set in Kentucky) I thought would be a good way to allow Harry to be present without outshining the players.

Anyway, basically what I'm having trouble with is Warden creation, are they  basically just wizards with a warden aspect? Character creation is the hardest part for me in RPG's, so any input is appreciated.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
Re: Help a new guy, please
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
Hey There! These boards are fantastic and a real help. In terms of being a Warden, I would just make sure you're at least a competent Evoker, have the Sword, and make sure your high concept relates to it. With those in place you should be good.
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
What he said.

Wardens are a Wizard who specializes in kicking ass. So, at Waist Deep that's usually gonna involve Great to Superb in Conviction and Discipline, and possibly some mundane skill in the area, especially Weapons, as well.

Worth noting, is that, back years ago, I actually came up with the same basic concept (Warden with the last sword Luccio made), and played it in a short-lived PBP and looking at it might give you ideas. I suspect your character is very different, and this one technically uses a couple of House Rules (having his Extreme Consequence filled for an extra +1 Refresh, and possibly his Rote targeting Endurance), but looking at it might prove inspirational, so here it is:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:20:54 AM »
Have you checked the DFRPG Resources thread?

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22322.0.html

There are quite a few characters (wardens included) that you might want to use as reference to get started.
There are a few character creation threads farther back in the DFRPG main room as well.
Also check out some of the Play-by-post threads. Characters and stats are posted at the beginning, so you might want to see how other people have created characters.

Do you have access to a copy of Our World? All of the warden character sheets are there, so you can see how Morgan stats up. 

The other option is to just post what you already have here- see what suggestions and explanations you get. I'm sure you'll get more than you want (or need!) 

What part are you having trouble with, exactly? The aspects or the skills/stress etc?
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Somerset Pierce

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:56:48 AM »
Thanks a lot for the feed back so far guys! I have pre-order versions of both the books. Honestly the problem I have is the same problem I have in all rpg's, too many options. I know, for example, what I want to do, but I either try to do too much, or I make things too complicated. Also, this is my introduction to FATE. I have played D&D, but the community in my town is very limited, to say the least, which is another reason I'm having trouble. The concepts, and aspects I think I have down ok, it's statting out the character I'm having trouble with. Like, how do I determine how good my character is at evocation, for example? Skills are decided by the number of points available at the start, correct? Sorry if these are questions with obvious questions, I'm just trying to get started, lol.

Thanks again!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:18:13 AM »
Like, how do I determine how good my character is at evocation, for example?

Evocation uses the Conviction and Discipline skills, plus specializations and foci.

Your power is equal to your Conviction plus the bonuses of any of your power specializations and foci that apply to the spell you're casting.

Your control is equal to your Discipline plus the bonuses of any of your control specializations and foci that apply to the spell you're casting.

Skills are decided by the number of points available at the start, correct?

Yes, the total number of skill ranks your character can have (at the start of the game) depends on the number of skill points available at the start of the game.

Offline Somerset Pierce

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 04:38:45 AM »
So this is what I have so far. I'm very open to suggestions, and input. Let me know what you think:

Matheau Cain
High Concept: “Last Blade of Luccio”
Matheau was recruited into the wardens one year prior to the events of the case “Dead Beat” Captain Luccio temporarily assigned him to guard duty at the council headquarters in Edinburgh Castle.  While here he became friends with Wardens Chandler (“Steed”) and Yoshimo. Luccio completed his sword just prior to the events of “Dead Beat” however it was not presented to him until after the events due to Luccio’s involvement. Due to Captain Luccio’s inability to forge new swords, his friends have christened him the “Last Blade of Luccio”

Trouble: “Absolutely NOT my father’s son!”
Mateau’s mother died when he was six in a car accident. He was sent to live with his father who was an alcoholic, and drug addict. After spending his formative years enduring both mental and physical abuse Virgil grew to hate his father. Vowing to never be anything like him, Matheau follows the straight edge lifestyle, generally looks down upon, sometimes to the point of openly being rude, and dismissive to people who are encountering hardships due to their own drug, or alcohol usage.
Background: “Call me Mat”
Matheau grew up in a life of strict order, and squalor. As such, Matheau has become a bit of a free spirit regarding his lifestyle, and attitude.  He has a strong sense of responsibility despite seeming to take nothing seriously.
Rising Conflict: “Matheau the Red…I don’t want to talk about it.”
Matheau’s first introduction to the Vampire wars was a hard one. During a strike in South America Matheau earned the name “The Red” from a Swiss Warden named Sven Urne, by causing the death of over twenty Red Court vampires, and nearly a dozen of their thralls by detonating  an improvised fuel bomb consisting of three linked fuel takers.  This caused mixed feelings in that the event was a victory for the council in a time where victories are rare, however the weight of the lives lost weigh heavy on Matheau.
First Adventure: “I do what must be done.”
Matheau’s very first duty as a Warden was to arrest a warlock in his hometown who had broken the third law of magic. He met up with a childhood friend who offered several leads. After several dead ends Matheau discovered that it was his friend who was the warlock. The leads he had been given were rivals the friend wanted eliminated. After the arrest, and trial, Captain Luccio allowed the execution to be carried out by Warden Morgan in Cain’s stead.  The fact that he was nearly duped by his friend hardened him a bit, and taught him the lesson that sometimes what you want, and what you need to do are very different.
Guest Star: “Harry Dresden is my boss”
After the events of Dead Beat Warden Dresden became aware of a smallish group of Red Court Vampires attempting to break into the chemical depot in Richmond Kentucky. Upon petition from Harry Captain Luccio assigned Matheau to the case due to both he being from Kentucky, and he being somewhat of a war veteran by this point. After the successful repelling of the break in attempt Warden Dresden assigned Cain to the Kentucky Region, based primarily out of the city of Somerset.
Guest Star: “Yoshimo, Steed, and Cain”
While on leave in New Orleans Matheau encountered a Voodoo priest attempting to revive Voodoo Queen Marie Leveau. Realizing he is a bit over his head Matheau enlists his friends Wardens Yoshimo, and Steed. Together they were able to uncover, and break up a cult devoted to resurrecting the late Voodoo Queen.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:45:17 AM by Somerset Pierce »

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 05:35:53 AM »
Tying your character in to canon characters may prove problematic, but if you go ahead all the more power to you.  :D

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
For the Guest Star segments, you're supposed to tie your character to the other PCs, not necessarily canon characters. And the Aspects gained therein need not have anything to do with the people in question...just what you do to help out in that story.

Now, what you've got is perfectly legal already...but I'm guessing you were misinterpreting what the Guest Star phase meant a little, and might want to change things to reflect how it usually works.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »
Also, making a warden at chest-deep is most likely going to kind of force your skills into a pretty narrow column.  There's nothing wrong with that, but I bares mentioning.

Discipline and Conviction are what you would probably want at 5, Lore and Weapons at 4, Athletics and Endurance at 3.

This isn't the only way to do it of course, just don't expect a "well-rounded" warden.  Though DO expect your warden to kick some major ass when push comes to shove haha.

Offline Somerset Pierce

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »
Thanks again guys. I did misunderstand the guest star aspects, I'll give it a re-working. All the other players but one dropped recently, and if I can't find a new player we may have to shelve it. Can you play with just two people?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
All you need for a good role playing game is one player and an awesome story. Some of the coolest tales are about a single player. Heck, you can even think of Dresden as a single player type and everybody else is an NPC.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
Yep. One on one or other small games can be really cool if everyone's up for it.

Offline Somerset Pierce

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:51 PM »
How would guest stars work in that case? Would I use an NPC in that instance? Or can a character be used twice with different aspects?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:06:21 PM »
Just write your own. That particular character creation phase is useful for bringing the party together initially (after all, you've been in three adventures by that point). For a solo game, I say you just make sure you write in helping specific NPCs that the GM can use later on.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby