Author Topic: Thoughts on a Changeling Concept  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Kamikazegerbil

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Thoughts on a Changeling Concept
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »
Though I've not yet gotten to play in DFRPG game (though I know a GM who would like to run it at some point) it's certainly got my brain working full speed cranking out character ideas. Among these was the idea of the Changeling child of a Summer Sidhe. I saw this character using Seelie magic and perhaps glamours. Generally looking at a character who embodies the sheer vigor of summer with a magic bent.

Then my brain suddenly went "What about Incite Emotion (Joy)?" A person whose fae heritage leaves them so full of life, good feeling radiates of them. This has gotten me thinking this could be a lot of fun to play. Perhaps with an "Enemy of House Skavis" Aspect. But there are a few things I'm still trying to figure out (some may be a little subjective):

1) How broad can Incite Emotion be in the aspects granted? Is it anything the GM agrees can relate to Joy? Could I in one scene place an arm around someone and lift their spirits, in another put someone off balance by making them happy to the point of slight mania? Could I give an friend who got into a fight (if I had "At range") a boost to their mood so they could tag the "lifted spirits" on their next attack?

2) How would you see this interacting with Incite Emotion (Despair). I can imagine introduced aspects being viable to aid defence rolls against attempts to inflict despair. But what about trying to counter it or cure the afflicted? Could I choose to remove the inflicted despair aspect instead of placing my own or would I need to place an aspect that can counter uses of the negative aspect in place? How would the GMs here handle this?

3) What would this sort of thing do to the target. In the books we see that inflicting fear, despair, etc. can have serious negative effects on the victim. Is it possible that positive emotions being pushed on somebody have effects beyond just messing with their head ("Everytime I see this person I get so happy. I must be in love with them" or "Why do I keep feeling good in bad situations? What's wrong with me?").

Is there anything else people think is relevant? I'm interested to here people's thoughts as the books only seem to look at darker emotions being inflicted.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on a Changeling Concept
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:17:43 PM »
1. Yes, all those are possible. Hell, Harry once tagged a lust Aspect put on him by Lara to power up a spell.

2. I'd say it depends. If you're just dealing with Aspects, then yeah, I'd let you remove one of theirs instead of adding your own, if they have Consequences though, you're out of luck, any joy they feel is a fleeting overlay (ie: Aspect) over their ongoing despair.A technical reading of the rules might prohibit that first bit, but I think most GMs would be willing to be flexible.

3. Generally speaking, you need Lasting Emotion and it's ability to inflict Consequences to really screw people up long-term beyond the basic 'screwing with their head' stuff you list. Lasting emotion is probably a bad match with this particular power variant for that very reason. Unless you want permanently blissed-out lotus-eater joy slaves, anyway.

In terms of other thoughts, you need to pick a skill it's based on and get GM approval on it (I recommend Rapport).

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
Welcome Kamikazegerbil! I show this is your first post.

With the Incite Emotion power, the text reads that it allows you to incite certain strong emotions in a target, usually emotions of passion or pain. Dark or morally "corrupt" emotions are the usual ones available. Since it says "usually", I'll take that to mean that we can play around a bit.

Keep in mind, this is just my interpretation of the rules and how I would run it in my own game. Now let me get to answering the numbers.

1. To be perfectly fair, unless you're rules lawyering as a player, what will and will not be allowed always falls down the GM. Still, if you don't follow the framework of the rules, what are you playing the game for? With the Incite Emotion ability, I think you could lift someone's spirits and with the At Range boost their mood without touching them (which they could tag for free once since it is a newly created temporary aspect). Using it as an attack I would rule that you would need the Lasting Emotion upgrade and even then, making them manically happy doesn't necessarily mean they are manically happy with you. Haven't you ever just beaten the crap out of something just for the sheer joy of it and the more you hit it, the happier it makes you? Maybe I'm telling a little too much about myself though. Keep in mind, these aren't True emotions by the Rules As Written (or RAW). Just fake emotions... kind of like drugs. But still, fake can help sometimes, right?

2. Since neither Incite Despair or Incite Joy are true emotions, the person affected will need to take a little time and remember either how great or how crappy their lives are. I couldn't see it specifically countering other powers unless they tag the Fake Joy aspect to resist the Incite Despair attack.

3. Since this isn't true joy, I would almost treat this like a drug. It can make you feel good and want to feel good more. Maybe it makes them associate things with that joy (kind of like how I like punching things). The brain is a very complex thing and meddling with it always changes things. Ever hear of the phrase "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions"? I mean it that way. Even though you're giving them joy, that doesn't mean that it won't hurt them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:36:41 PM by bobjob »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Kamikazegerbil

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies. You've both helped me get my head round the idea.

While a lot will be up to the GM it'll be something we would discuss when the character is made so it'll help us work out what works best if I have a solid idea of the power.

3. Generally speaking, you need Lasting Emotion and it's ability to inflict Consequences to really screw people up long-term beyond the basic 'screwing with their head' stuff you list. Lasting emotion is probably a bad match with this particular power variant for that very reason. Unless you want permanently blissed-out lotus-eater joy slaves, anyway.

Aha! I'd had trouble getting my head around what lasting and potent emotion actually represented. Hearing it said this way made it click. While I don't see my character having it, it would make sense as part of the "parent template". What better reason to have avoided choosing fae than worrying you'll end up making a bunch of "lotus eaters" just like mother used to make? Other than the whole free will thing that is...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »
Cool, glad I was able to help out.  :)

And yeah, a lot of the stuff we see Incite Emotion as doing requires Lasting Emotion to really work. This is because we mostly see the White Court using it, and they almost all have Lasting Emotion and get a lot of use out of it.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »
Remember "Summer" does not automatically mean "Good". A character like this may well have to contend with the urge to solve almost any social problem by just pumping anyone around them who isn't overtly happy full of joy. And while it's a strong emotion, it doesn't necessarily make everything else go away.

For example, where you're thinking morale boost, the other character may have fears about the situation which could be dealt with by retreating from it. So you juice them up and you can readily end up with a situation where they're thinking "My friends are being hurt, nothing's quite going right and the bad guy is some hideous monster but I'M SO HAPPY!" Not good for long term mental stability.