Author Topic: Building a Changeling Assassin - Need help with Aspects and Crunch  (Read 1124 times)

Magicpockets

Hi all,
for an upcoming game, I've decided to play a changeling mercenary focusing on espionage, B&E and assassination. In short, a Faerie Kincaid at the beginning of his career. Background has been written and submitted to the DM, but I'm still somewhat stuck on the aspects and the mechanical parts of character generation. We're playing at a custom power level between chest-deep and submerged (35 Skillpoints, 8 Refresh, cap at superb). The other characters in this game are a true mortal arms runner (think "Lord of War") with ties to St. Giles, and a werewolf college student. Judging from another FATE game I DM'd for the group (Star Wars with a modified DF rules set), the amount of optimization is very high, so please keep it in mind while reviewing the character concept.

A short summary of the background (spoilered for ease of reading). Feedback is welcome!
(click to show/hide)

Aspects:
(click to show/hide)

I hope that the aspects will be versatile enough to grant many interesting compels and invoke for effects. Suggestions on the aspects? I tried phrasing them in a way so that they can all be invoked, compelled and invoked for effect, but I'm not sure if that works.

As for the stunts, powers and skills, I've come up with two different sets that might work:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Please let me know what you think. Any and all feedback is welcome!

Offline Ricky

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Changeling Assassin - Need help with Aspects and Crunch
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:02:36 PM »
For the spellcasting option sense he never joined the winter court he would not have access to unseelie magic. He would either have inherited mortal magic from his white council father or seelie magic from his summer court mother. So change unseelie magic to seelie magic, or a combination of channeling and the sight.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »
I prefer the latter powerset. Partly because I don't like A Few Seconds Ahead, partly because I think it's more interesting, and partly because Unseelie Magic seems thematically weird for the character.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »

Magicpockets

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:51:33 AM »
@Ricky: Yeah, changing it to Summer Magic might work better, and it's not that different mechanically. It's never been clarified whether Summer/Winter Magic is gained via contract, by birth or by association with a given faction.

@Sanctaphrax: Just curious: Did "A few seconds ahead" have a different wording in the preliminary PDF? I've only got the hardcover books, and the power is basically just Footwork for Lore (albeit for social and physical, so it would be worth [-2] as mortal stunts). The reason why I included a magic option is because we lack a dedicated spellcaster in the group, and I'm afraid that this will severely limit our options. On the other hand, our DM has hinted at banning Refinement, so a White Council wizard seems somewhat lackluster with those restrictions.

@Richard_Chilton: That thread is interesting, thanks! Reminds me a bit about the Darkness, especially the Catch and the mob association.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:56:27 PM »
I don't have the preliminary PDFs, just the books.

A Few Seconds Ahead does a lot more than Footwork. Footwork just adds defence against ranged attacks to Fists. A Few Seconds Ahead adds defence against all physical attacks to Lore.

That aside, it's boring and it makes interesting defence stunts totally obsolete. Also it's probably too powerful. So I don't like it.