Author Topic: Modular Abilities Expanded  (Read 10345 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Abilities Expanded
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
Well, sort of.

You pay a 1 Refresh surcharge and whatever amount of Refresh you want to spend for form points. But if you have less than 5 points you can't use them for anything. And having more is pretty pointless.

So in practice it works out the way you say.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
For that example list, anyway.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 10:02:34 PM »
Yep.

It's a little different for lists like the General Shapeshifter, of course.

So, does anybody have any more comments? There was some good discussion before the Power was written, hopefully there can be some now.

Even if you just want to post a one-line "it sucks/rules!", that's helpful.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »
I like it. However I think that the wording is confusing and that not many people are going to understand it. I have said from the start that its a good idea and it would work, its just how its worded.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »
How are you figuring the Refresh surcharge?  Eyeballing?

I find it kind of confusing as well, maybe breaking down which examples on the list you switch between.  Like Fire and Ice I figured out because they're thematically opposite, the bigger lists later on I get kind of lost on.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
I like it. However I think that the wording is confusing and that not many people are going to understand it. I have said from the start that its a good idea and it would work, its just how its worded.

I was worried about that.

Any suggestions on making it easier to follow?

How are you figuring the Refresh surcharge?  Eyeballing?

I find it kind of confusing as well, maybe breaking down which examples on the list you switch between.  Like Fire and Ice I figured out because they're thematically opposite, the bigger lists later on I get kind of lost on.

It's eyeballing. It's not terribly hard, though, because 1 Refresh, 2 Refresh, and 3 Refresh are really different in terms of power.

You switch between whatever examples you want. Suppose you have 7 Refresh invested in General Shapeshifter Variable Abilities. Then you can have whatever combination of abilities from the list you want, as long as they add up to 5 Refresh.

Inhuman Speed, Wings, and Hulking Size? Sure! Supernatural Strength and Natural Weaponry? A-OK!

And so on.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 11:34:07 PM »
Ok, I think that makes sense to me.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 10:50:35 PM »
So...does anybody have any suggestions for wording?

And are there any types of Variable Abilities that people would like to see?

I'm hoping to get the next list update done sometime soonish. I want this done first.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
Ok so I think I figured out what I dont like about it. There are no qualifiers, like the last time you tried to figure it out. In the "options list" sections there should be a breakdown of what costs what refresh.

Ex: Small list costs 1; large list cost 3

Obviously it wouldnt be that black and white but thats what I think needs to be worded.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:55:58 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 12:34:44 AM »
Okay, the thing I'm not seeing in your example is why the "double were form" is in the same category as "general shapeshifter"?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
@Lavecki: I really don't think I can do better than pointing people to a list of examples. Because even a two-element list can be worth a 3-Refresh surcharge.

@wyvern: Because it offers two instances of Beast Change. General Shapeshifter's versatility is limited by the fact that you're still stuck with your original skill-set, so it can't make Social Guy into Combat Guy or Spy Guy. General Shapeshifter is probably a bit better, but I can't justify giving out Double Were-Form for 1 Refresh.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »
I understand that part. I was using my wording as an example. I feel that is the confusing part of the power though.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
I get it, but I don't think I can provide a decent explanation without making the description really long. And example lists are usually a good way to provide balance points.

So I'm inclined to say "just look at the lists, people".

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
Yea. I just feel that it is overcomplicating things. having examples is nice but when you are redefining a power as having specific lists that people have to judge themselves, when the other power is so much simpler and easier to use, it gets confusing.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
Also I just reread through the whole thread again and am now mildly confused as to this approach. It seems like you are making surcharges cost more depending on what the lists can do but arent allowing for straight modular. Not only that it seems that there is no reason to do the first list (fire ice) for the same reason that you described with the Inhuman recover. I could easily use that 1 surcharge and take evocation fire/ice and not have to worry about taking a standard action to switch beween them.