Author Topic: Character Concept - Homebrew Power Feedback  (Read 12081 times)

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Character Concept - Homebrew Power Feedback
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2012, 08:22:44 PM »
What I would do is make the initial cost for Gates 1&2 be -3 Refresh.  Make every two gates thereafter another -1 Refresh upgrade.  This makes the total power -6 which is still much cheaper than the powers being accessed, but does a good job of also modeling the fact that it's an ability you learn gradually as you increase in skill.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »
TWO GATES RELEASED FORMATION[-3]
Description: You are able to push your life force through your muscles making you faster and stronger.
Note: This power is still a WIP and has yet to be play tested.
Skills Affected: Endurance, Fists, Might
Effects:
Gate of Opening: This is the first gate. You are granted access to more of your muscles, Gain Inhuman Strength and Speed at the cost of Filling your stress track and Taking a mild consequence.
Gate of Healing: This is the second gate. You are able to clear the stress inflicted from the previous gate at the cost of taking a moderate consequence after the encounter.
FOUR GATES RELEASED FORMATION[-1] [requires two gates]
Gate of Life: Third Gate. The user gains temporary access to Supernatural Speed. The drawback is that you fill up your stress track again.
Gate of Pain: Fourth Gate. The user gains temporary access to Supernatural Toughness. Stress in these additional boxes is redistributed after the encounter.
SIX GATES RELEASED FORMATION[-1] [requires four gates]
Gate of Limit: Fifth Gate. This power lets the user gain temporary access to Supernatural Strength. Taking this power immediatly fills the bonus stress gained from Supernatural Toughness.
Gate of View: Sixth Gate. This power grants the user the use of the attack Morning Peacock. Gain Channeling-Fire. However the attack is restricted to close combat. Conviction is replaced by Endurance and Discipline is replaced by Fists for use of this attack. The stress you take applies to physical stress as opposed to mental stress.
EIGHT GATES RELEASED FORMATION[-1] [requires six gates]
Gate of Wonder: Seventh Gate. Grants the user 5 rounds of Mythic Speed and Mythic Strength. The user must take an Extreme consequence as a result of this.
Gate of Death: Eigth Gate. Grants the user Physical Immunity for a scene. This power kills the user.
Prior Gate: Each gate uses the previous powers of lower numbered gates. Physical powers are replaced by the next higher power. [Ex. Opening the 4th gate doesn't give you Supernatural and Inhuman Strength, just Supernatural]
I did a little bit of editing. I left the 5 rounds thing because this power is supposed to be ripping your muscles apart. As such after a while you litterally shouldnt be able to move. While you do have Physical Immunity, you can only hit as normal because you have burned through your muscles. I tried to make 7 and 8 overpowered yet have high consequences because you arent supposed to use them. They are like last ditch type thing.

Saw Mrm's post while I was writing this and agreed.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
I would still change gate 7 to lasting the scene.

By the way I just realized, with the strength increasing powers the Morning Peacock will actually work quite nicely at doing damage since you get the strength damage bonuses, shifts left over from Fists over Defense, and fire damage added to that determined by physical stress accepted.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2012, 08:50:26 PM »
Makes sense. however Addicted just pointed out that you will have to use some stress and probably take a consequence at the end. I told him that (for the stuff that technically happens after the scene such as gate 2 or gate 4) you can instead be taken out of the next scene(s) for recovery instead of actually taking the consequences.

EDIT: accidentally made a strike out.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:08:49 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2012, 08:55:50 PM »
I would still change gate 7 to lasting the scene.

By the way I just realized, with the strength increasing powers the Morning Peacock will actually work quite nicely at doing damage since you get the strength damage bonuses, shifts left over from Fists over Defense, and fire damage added to that determined by physical stress accepted.

Combats for me have seldom lasted much more than 5 exchanges. That's a pretty epic combat if it is, and I would guess that player doesn't pop gate 7 right at the start, so it should last to the end. It does add a bit of tension to the scene too. Don't finish in time, you lose your super fighter.

I was thinking that since it will require a consequence to use(physical track will be full at this point) it might be a little under powered, but with strengh stacking you're getting a weapon 9 for a consequence, provided you control it. So that might mitigate that drawback enough, maybe
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »
Sorry. I am trying to model it after a power from a show. I understand thats what you would like but I tried that in the initial posting of this power and you didnt like it that way either.

I didn't dislike it, actually. But if there are problems they should be pointed out.

As for the new Power...

The 5-exchange counter will indeed often not matter. Which is sort of the problem for me; why bother if it probably won't matter? Do we need another thing to track?

Besides, extreme consequences are a big deal. Giving a little extra power to an ability that costs one won't break anything.

I still don't like all this stress track filling stuff. It turns you into tissue paper, and makes your Toughness unimportant. Stress doesn't always represent damage, anyway.

Morning Peacock is pretty weak. You need to take a consequence just to use it. And you won't have many of those to spare. Also, if Strength is meant to boost its damage you should make that clear.

What does it mean to redistribute the stress in extra boxes from Toughness?

And you still need to clarify stuff like action type and interaction with other Powers/consequences.

Also the consequence scaling is a bit odd, in my opinion.

I'll put up my version later tonight, if you don't object.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:40:49 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2012, 04:45:39 AM »
Aight, here's my take. I changed some stuff, maybe for the better or maybe for the worse.

THE EIGHT INNER GATES [-3]
Description: You are able to push your life force through your muscles. This makes you faster and stronger, but damages your health rather badly.
Note: Consequences taken to fuel this Power are not affected by Recovery Powers. You may take any number of supplemental actions with this Power in a single exchange. Powers granted by this Power do not stack with other Powers of the same type.
Skills Affected: Endurance, Fists, Might, Weapons, Athletics, Alertness
Effects:
Opening And Healing. As a supplemental action, you may take a mild (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gates of Opening and Healing. For the rest of the scene this gives you Inhuman Speed and Strength.
Life And Pain [-1]. As a supplemental action, you may take a moderate (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gates of Life and Pain. For the rest of the scene this gives you armour 2 against all physical stress and either Supernatural Speed or Supernatural Strength. You may not open the Gates of Life and Pain unless the Gates of Opening and Healing are open.
Limit And View [-1]. As a supplemental action, you may take a severe (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gates of Limit and View. For the rest of the scene this gives you Supernatural Strength and Speed, wreathes your hands in weapon 4 fire, and allows you to attack entire zones with melee attacks without risk of harming yourself. You may not open the Gates of Limit and View unless the Gates of Life and Pain are open.
Wonder And Death [-1]. As a supplemental action, you may take an extreme physical consequence to open the Gate of Wonder. For the rest of the scene this gives you Mythic Speed, Mythic Strength, and armour 4 against all physical stress. You may not open the Gate of Wonder unless the Gates of Limit and View are open. Furthermore, while the Gate of Wonder is open you may take a supplemental action to open the Gate of Death. This gives you +2 to all physical rolls and makes you immune to all stress, but kills you in four exchanges (or roughly one minute outside of a conflict).

Thoughts?

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »
Aight, here's my take. I changed some stuff, maybe for the better or maybe for the worse.

THE EIGHT INNER GATES [-3]
Description: You are able to push your life force through your muscles. This makes you faster and stronger, but damages your health rather badly.
Note: Consequences taken to fuel this Power are not affected by Recovery Powers. You may take any number of supplemental actions with this Power in a single exchange. Powers granted by this Power do not stack with other Powers of the same type.
Effects:
Opening And Healing. As a supplemental action, you may take a mild (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gates of Opening and Healing. For the rest of the scene this gives you Inhuman Speed and Strength.
Life And Pain [-1]. As a supplemental action, you may take a moderate (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gates of Life and Pain. For the rest of the scene this gives you armour 2 against all physical stress and either Supernatural Speed or Supernatural Strength. You may not open the Gates of Life and Pain unless the Gates of Opening and Healing are open.
Limit And View [-1]. As a supplemental action, you may take a severe (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gates of Limit and View. For the rest of the scene this gives you Supernatural Strength and Speed, wreathes your hands in weapon 4 fire, and allows you to attack entire zones with melee attacks without risk of harming yourself. You may not open the Gates of Limit and View unless the Gates of Life and Pain are open.
Wonder And Death [-1]. As a supplemental action, you may take an extreme physical consequence to open the Gate of Wonder. For the rest of the scene this gives you Mythic Speed, Mythic Strength, and armour 4 against all physical stress. You may not open the Gate of Wonder unless the Gates of Limit and View are open. Furthermore, while the Gate of Wonder is open you may take a supplemental action to open the Gate of Death. This gives you +2 to all physical rolls and makes you immune to all stress, but kills you in four exchanges (or roughly one minute outside of a conflict).

Thoughts?

Limit and view, that fire attack would not still require the +2 called for in evocation, as in original write up correct?
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
I actually like it a lot. Its a lot simpler than the one I had proposed and I think you hit the nail on the head. I would however still like to know the answer to Addicted's question. Also thank you for helping me on this power. This is really only the second custom power I have done and the first one is the one at the begining of this thread.

EDIT: Would there be any way for you to split this up so that each gate is its own thing though? I like how you smoothed the edges but it should be possible to open just one gate at a time. Which was what I was trying to go for with my last attempt. It may have over complicated things but I was trying to get rewards and consequences for each gate, which I was having trouble with.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:49:39 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2012, 11:03:52 PM »
Limit and view, that fire attack would not still require the +2 called for in evocation, as in original write up correct?

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but I don't think it requires anything like that.

I actually like it a lot. Its a lot simpler than the one I had proposed and I think you hit the nail on the head. I would however still like to know the answer to Addicted's question. Also thank you for helping me on this power. This is really only the second custom power I have done and the first one is the one at the begining of this thread.

EDIT: Would there be any way for you to split this up so that each gate is its own thing though? I like how you smoothed the edges but it should be possible to open just one gate at a time. Which was what I was trying to go for with my last attempt. It may have over complicated things but I was trying to get rewards and consequences for each gate, which I was having trouble with.

Thanks and you're welcome.

Making each gate matter would be tricky. It's easy enough to give each gate an ability, but giving each gate a cost is much harder.

Perhaps the odd-numbered gates could make you take a consequence at the end of the scene while the even-numbered ones make the consequences happen immediately instead. That's not a great idea, but I can't think of much else.

Maybe some kind of Sponsor Debt thing could work...

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »
Yea
The only other thing I can think of is to give each one a refresh cost so that the total becomes 8 but then i feel no one will go for them all. as it is now i dont see many people getting 7 and 8

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2012, 07:20:24 AM »
Which to be fair mimics the power this is based on pretty closely.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2012, 02:38:16 PM »
Which to be fair mimics the power this is based on pretty closely.

That's true. Only like 5 people in the show know it. Guy is the only one who can do 8 and Lee gets up to 6 at one point. Kakashi only can do the first one, and the others are side characters who we dont really know what gate they oppened.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »
Hows this?

EIGHT GATES RELEASED FORMATION [-1]
Note: Consequences taken to fuel this Power are not affected by Recovery Powers. You may take two supplemental actions associated with this Power in a single exchange. Powers granted by this Power do not stack with other Powers of the same type.
Effects:
Gate of Opening: First Gate. As a supplemental action, you may take a mild (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Opening. For the rest of the scene this gives you Inhuman Speed and Strength.
Gate of Healing [-1]: Second Gate. As a supplemental action, you may open the Gate of Healing. Upon opening the Gate of Healing you may clear your stress track as though the scene had ended. You may not use the Gate of Healing unless the Gate of Opening is open.
Gate of Life [-1]: Third Gate. As a supplemental action, you may take a moderate (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Life. For the rest of the scene this gives you either Supernatural Speed or Supernatural Strength. You may not open the Gate of Life unless the Gate of Healing is open.
Gate of Pain [-1]: Fourth Gate. As a supplemental action, you may open the Gate of Life. For the rest of the scene this gives you armour 2 against all physical stress. You may not open the Gate of Pain unless the Gate of Life is open.
Gate of Limit [-1]: Fifth Gate. As a supplemental action, you may take a severe (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Limit. For the rest of the scene this gives you Supernatural Strength and Speed, You may not open the Gate of Limit unless the Gate of Life is open.
Gate of View [-1]: Sixth Gate. As a supplemental action, you may activate the Gate of View. For the rest of the scene your hands are wreathed in weapon 4 fire, and allow you to attack entire zones with melee attacks without risk of harming yourself. You may not open the Gates of View unless the Gates of Limit is open.
Gate of Wonder [-1]: Seventh Gate. As a supplemental action, you may take an extreme physical consequence to open the Gate of Wonder. For the rest of the scene this gives you Mythic Speed, Mythic Strength, and armour 4 against all physical stress. You may not open the Gate of Wonder unless the Gate of View is open.
Gate of Death [-1]: Eighth Gate. As a supplemental action, you may open the Gate of Death. This gives you +2 to all physical rolls and makes you immune to all stress, but kills you in four exchanges (or roughly one minute outside of a conflict). You may not open the Gate of View unless the Gate of Wonder is open.
Gate Intermediate [-1]: You may take four supplemental actions associated with this Power in a single exchange.
Gate Master [-1]: (requires Gate Intermediate) You may take six supplemental actions associated with this Power in a single exchange.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:08:05 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »
Decent shot, but there are some major issues.

The base Power seems too strong. I charged 3 Refresh for that effect, you're charging 1.

The second gate is also iffy. 1 Refresh to clear your stress track once/scene is pretty impressive, especially if it applying to social and mental stress is not a typo. On the other hand, maybe it's not as good as it looks: the only canon Power that does something like this is Blood Drinker so I haven't seen an effect like this in action very often.

The gates after that all look weak. I charged 1 Refresh and 1 action for each of those effects, you're charging 2 Refresh and 2 actions. The last gate is especially bad...spending Refresh on a Power that kills you if you ever use it is just terrible.

Now, I'm not totally confident in my costing. But I don't think it was three times too expensive for the base Power and two times too cheap for the other ones. This costing seems wonky to me.

Also, there are some typos and its not clear whether the second gate affects Consequences if you have Recovery.