Author Topic: Character Concept - Homebrew Power Feedback  (Read 12078 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Character Concept - Homebrew Power Feedback
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
It's not an auto take-out if you have high endurance or an endurance stunt which gives you extra mild consequences...and I wouldn't take this power without one.  I'm not sure that's helpful, but just pointing it out.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
It's not an auto take-out if you have high endurance or an endurance stunt which gives you extra mild consequences...and I wouldn't take this power without one.  I'm not sure that's helpful, but just pointing it out.

True, It worth considering just not sure how to factor that in.
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
Is it unprecedented to have some powers specifically not work with each other? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but due to the narrative of this power(Rock lee only having physical power, taijitsu I believe, in the show), it would make sense if the person couldn't have any other physical powers, and was limited in the powers they could take at all.

I don't think that there are any Powers that don't work with each other, except for Powers that are basically stronger/weaker versions of each other.

You could do it, but you'd need a good reason. And "this is a Rock Lee Power" isn't a very good reason, since people who aren't playing Rock Lee might to use this Power.

If it fills the toughness boxes, it's basically just gives armor, with some form of catch. Which is a waste of refresh, but since you aren't paying it's kinda moot. I think it works in terms of flavor, he becomes tougher as well as stronger and faster, but I don't feel the mechanics aren't quite lining up right. I do think it's getting closer to the right feel though.

I think it'd be better to just give armour. Less confusing.

Bear in mind, though, that the Toughness/armour will often be wasted because armour doesn't stack.

Some food for thought, with the current implementation, once they break 6 gates, they add 2 to their defense roll, and get 2 armor. For someone of the same skill for attacking as this characters athletics and no super natural bonus they will hit only 1 in 4 attacks, and less than 1 in 20 will they hit well enough to inflict stress pre-weapon. Since all they need is a stress of 1 to either force an extreme or take him out though, assuming at least a weapon 1, they will achieve that close to 1 in every 7 attacks.
At the extreme level gate 8, assuming attacks are coming in with weapon 2 and at the same skill rank, it's 1 in 20 to take out the power user, 1 in 140ish to deal damage without a weapon rating, and 1 in 7 to to hit with no stress, pre weapon.
At gate 2 and 4, it's a little less likely than a 1 in 2 and a little more likely than a 1 in 4, to hit with no stress, pre weapon respectively.
Looking at that I'm thinking gate 4 is a little light, and doesn't scale with the others, since a moderate sticks around for a session +, Maybe kick in inhuman toughness at that level with the current implementation?

I think that makes you too fragile.

When you've opened six gates, you're using 3 Refresh and pretty much every consequence you have. And in exchange, you get a 5/27 chance of getting splattered in one hit by anyone whose attack skill is equal to your Athletics.

You can probably safely assume that anyone worth going to six gates against has weapon 3 at least.

As for the eighth gate, it should basically make you invincible. You're killing yourself, after all.

PS: What do you do if you already have consequences when you want to use this? Can I take a moderate to use two gates? If I have a Severe, can I use eight? If I have a moderate and a severe, can I use six?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 08:25:34 PM »
And thats why I wanted to discuss it  ;D

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »
I think it'd be better to just give armour. Less confusing.
Bear in mind, though, that the Toughness/armour will often be wasted because armour doesn't stack.

I can't find a reference for this. Is this errara? Common sense? or is it RaW?
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
Note on the bottom of Your Story page 202.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
Ok so I did some thinking and tried to redo the power. Let me know what you think of this:

EIGHT GATES RELEASED FORMATION[-3]
Description: You are able to push your life force through your muscles making you faster and stronger.
Note: This power is still a WIP and has yet to be play tested.
Skills Affected: Endurance, Fists, Might
Effects:
Gate of Opening: This is the first gate. You are granted access to more of your muscles, Gain Inhuman Strength and Speed at the cost of Filling your stress track and Taking a mild consequence.
Gate of Healing: This is the second gate. You are able to clear the stress inflicted from the previous gate at the cost of taking a moderate consequence after the encounter.
Gate of Life: Third Gate. The user gains temporary access to Supernatural Speed. The drawback is that you fill up your stress track again.
Gate of Pain: Fourth Gate. The user gains temporary access to Supernatural Toughness. Stress in these additional boxes is redistributed after the encounter.
Gate of Limit: Fifth Gate. This power lets the user gain temporary access to Supernatural Strength. Taking this power immediatly fills the bonus stress gained from Supernatural Toughness.
Gate of View: Sixth Gate. This power grants the user the use of the attack Morning Peacock. Gain Channeling-Fire. However the attack is restricted to close combat. Conviction is replaced by Endurance and Discipline is replaced by Fists for use of this attack. The stress you take applies to physical stress as opposed to mental stress.
Gate of Wonder: Seventh Gate. Grants the user 5 rounds of Mythic Speed and Mythic Strength. The user must take an Extreme consequence as a result of this.
Gate of Death: Eigth Gate. Grants the user Physical Immunity for a scene. This power kills the user.
Prior Gate: Each gate uses the previous powers of lower numbered gates. Physical powers are replaced by the next higher power. [Ex. Opening the 4th gate doesn't give you Supernatural and Inhuman Strength, just Supernatural]

EDIT: I changed some things so that they make more sense and are worded correctly.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:21:23 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2012, 04:05:43 AM »
It's probably okay not to limit the first and second gates to once per session.  Mind you they would only be able to do it two additional times since the second time opening both the first and second gates would fill in a severe consequence if the moderate hadn't cleared and doing it a third time would net an Extreme, anything else would be takeout.

I like it, but I don't know if it's priced properly. Also why does the seventh gate only work for five turns, but the eighth lasts an encounter?

Also, suggested catch for Toughness powers?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2012, 05:28:16 AM »
I don't think that this is a good plan. It's a huge complicated grab-bag of effects, and it's frequently unclear exactly what it does.

Especially the Morning Peacock thing. How are you supposed to survive using it when you have to fill your stress track and consequences to activate the previous gates? (Assuming of course that you do have to do so, I'm not totally sure.) Does it take an action? What sort of evocations can be cast with it? And why bother anyway, without specializations and foci punches are probably more damaging than evocations.

Furthermore, you really need to make clear what sort of action this is. And how it interacts with other consequences. And whether it's compatible with existing Strength/Speed/Toughness/Immunity.

The clarifications have to be in the Power's text, by the way. You can't expect everyone to read this thread.

Also Inhuman Toughness doesn't give a mild consequence, you keep saying Superhuman where you probably mean Supernatural, and the random filling/emptying of the stress track is just confusing. Also I think you mean scene when you say encounter.

The seventh gate duration thing is weird too, now that Mrmdubois mentions it.

So yeah. There are issues.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 05:54:16 AM »
I'd say Morning Peacock is similar to a Fire evocation in that fire (allowing for maneuvers or attacks where the element might matter in its destructive energy form only and not in the purifying sense) is generated but otherwise it's just a straight Fists roll, you accept physical stress for boosting the number of shifts generated beyond what your Fists can normally do as you would with Conviction and casting an evocation.  Could be worded better, but it's perfectly clear.  Looks like basically Control is automatic or defaults to Fists which also determines the upper limit of Shifts that can be generated.  I would say that since you're accepting physical stress that Endurance should be replacing Conviction and Fists is replacing Discipline.

What type of action should be noted agreed, probably a full turn consuming action would be appropriate per gate.

Also Sanctaphrax is right about not getting extra consequences from Inhuman Toughness so the Fourth and Fifth Gates will need to be reworked, so it might be a good chance to think about the way the stress track filling works.

Also, I think I'd let the Morning Peacock be used multiple times if you have the stress to burn on it while the Gate is open.  Because he's right without Focus items it's not going to be good enough as just a oneshot.

Still looks like you might be on the right track though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:56:07 AM by Mrmdubois »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2012, 06:04:48 AM »
Could be worded better, but it's perfectly clear.

No, it really isn't clear.

As evidence, I present your post:

I'd say Morning Peacock is similar to a Fire evocation in that fire (allowing for maneuvers or attacks where the element might matter in its destructive energy form only and not in the purifying sense) is generated but otherwise it's just a straight Fists roll, you accept physical stress for boosting the number of shifts generated beyond what your Fists can normally do as you would with Conviction and casting an evocation.
Looks like basically Control is automatic or defaults to Fists which also determines the upper limit of Shifts that can be generated.
I would say that since you're accepting physical stress that Endurance should be replacing Conviction and Fists is replacing Discipline.

Each of those quotes contains a semi-supported assumption, and you seem to be aware of their shakiness since you introduced each with a qualifier.

What you're saying there might work, but your interpretation is no more valid than a number of others. Which is practically the definition of un-clearness.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2012, 06:30:54 AM »
Fair enough.

Do you have any helpful advice Sanctaphrax?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »
Appologies freinds. I was working on this at a computer that was not my own and had to put it up or risk losing all the work. Mrmdubois is correct in his assumptions though I do understand that it was not clear and I appologize.

I am just trying to work through it and get a better sense of what I am doing, which is why I didnt just create it and asked for some help with the creation.

I also did not realize that inhuman toughness did not grant a mild. However it does grant 2 additional stress boxes so that would be what I was reffering to.

Morning Peacock power would look like this:
Channeling - Fire
Natural Channel Custom Power (Discipline - Fists and Conviction - Endurance)
Martial Mojo Custom Power (Can only use in close combat)

Also what Mrmdubois said makes sense about them being able to use it more than once.

I limited the Mythics in the 7th because it would drain you pretty fast. Eight doesnt have a limit because it only grants Physical immunity, it is still restricted by sevens limits. Also still working on a catch.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
If I were you, I'd make the Power into a simpler "take Consequences to get physical Powers" Power. Or perhaps into a generalized "take Consequences to use this" rebate Power.

Stuff like Morning Peacock can be a separate Power. Maybe one that requires this one, maybe not.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
Sorry. I am trying to model it after a power from a show. I understand thats what you would like but I tried that in the initial posting of this power and you didnt like it that way either.