Author Topic: FEEEEEEEEEED ME SEYMOUR!  (Read 6104 times)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: FEEEEEEEEEED ME SEYMOUR!
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 01:22:19 AM »
Actually that 9 Refresh counts as 6 Refresh because McDonalds is a weak need.
Right.  I was adding to the threshold 9>(2+3) rather than subtracting from the value compared to the threshold (9-3)>2.  Either way, the result is the same with a difference of 4.
The idea here is that McDonalds dependency, though a weakness, is a smaller weakness than blood dependency. So you get a rebate, but a smaller one.

The worst case for McDonalds dependency is that you're in the middle of nowhere and McDonalds is not available. So you die or lose Powers or otherwise get messed up.
I agree with the idea conceptually.  But the existing RAW versions of FD basically require a death to recover from (or a great many scenes spent twiddling your thumbs).  That in turn may well generate significant secondary effects -- examples including social ostracization, police manhunts, etc.  By comparison, the McDonalds dependency will generally not result in evil clowns hunting you down (though if it does in your game, then I'd be willing to withdraw my complaint), and might instead result in frequent buyer discounts.  Heck, given that the effect is built into the character's metabolism, it might not even result in the character gaining weight...
As for singing, if the other players want to waste their actions/time singing that's enough of an inconvenience for me.
Singing costs an action?  My kids insist that:

Singin' while your swingin'
Helps you keep your rythm!
As to suggestions, I would suggest that to qualify for a rebate, the dependency should probably involve something that is to a roughly similar level as societally reprehensible as murder, or at least that carry a significant risk of stigma or secondary problems when satisfying them.  Dependencies that don't meet this standard might be better modeled via aspects and compels.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: FEEEEEEEEEED ME SEYMOUR!
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 04:40:02 AM »
Right.  I was adding to the threshold 9>(2+3) rather than subtracting from the value compared to the threshold (9-3)>2.  Either way, the result is the same with a difference of 4.

Oh, I see.

I think that that gives a rebate of +2 w/no extra consequences, though.

I agree with the idea conceptually.  But the existing RAW versions of FD basically require a death to recover from (or a great many scenes spent twiddling your thumbs).

RAW FD also lets you have a +1 rebate for 2 Refresh worth of Power. This one does not, unless the thing you eat is as problematic as blood is.

If the Power is still too good with easy foods, then I haven't made the effect of easiness on rebates big enough.

Singing costs an action?

As a martial artist, I can tell you that even a friendly sparring match takes way too much breath for singing to be possible.

As to suggestions, I would suggest that to qualify for a rebate, the dependency should probably involve something that is to a roughly similar level as societally reprehensible as murder, or at least that carry a significant risk of stigma or secondary problems when satisfying them.  Dependencies that don't meet this standard might be better modeled via aspects and compels.

I don't think that's a good idea.

Some things have no secondary consequences, they're just hard or inconvenient. Like having to eat a million dollars. Or having to meditate for eight years.

Such things should be supported.

As should things which are actually quite easy. They should just give smaller rebates.