Author Topic: First Person vs. Third Person  (Read 9449 times)

cenwolfgirl

Re: First Person vs. Third Person
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 05:34:59 AM »
oh sorry about your cat but mine has done that a few times they nomaly come back when they get hungary or sceared by something
i hope it returns soon

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 01:46:15 AM »

We are not that far from the vet she should be able to find her way home but we are still looking, put up posters today.

BTW when I said that She shouted "You won't take me alive copper,"  I meant she let out an angry howl just before she pushed her way out of the carrier. So loosely translated her howl could have meant that.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 04:20:52 AM »

We are not that far from the vet she should be able to find her way home but we are still looking, put up posters today.

BTW when I said that She shouted "You won't take me alive copper,"  I meant she let out an angry howl just before she pushed her way out of the carrier. So loosely translated her howl could have meant that.

i hope you find her soon safe and sound

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 04:57:20 AM »
i hope you find her soon safe and sound

Thanks,

we put up posters in the area logic says she would be in. But cats aren't always logical.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 05:05:13 AM »
oh no they are not
dogs are not ehther when one of mine got lost a few days ago
he is home now
he ended up 60 miles from home
in three days he got 60 miles almost all on foot
how do not ask me

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:31 AM »
I'm having fun with my current effort, it's in first person and I'm not having too much trouble compartentalizing my knowledge from the character's.  The biggest thing is avoiding Infodumps, or at least keeping them toned down when they are absolutely necessary.  I realize that as the work progresses, I can pluck some of the info out of the dump and salt it into another section where it's needed, thus thinning the original dump... but it still bugs me.

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The Fox and The Firebird
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 06:07:19 AM »
I like Third Person and First Person about the same. As long as it isn't in present tense! That gets on my nerves. It's very distracting.

I write in Close-Third Person. Which basically means that from scene to scene, it is in a single character's point of view. And nothing can be written into the scene that the POV character does not know.

First Person can be deceptively easy. But a lot of writers who write in first person just know how to write in one character's voice (which is really their own voice). If the voice is interesting, and there's only one POV that the author ever writes, they can get away with it. But if they write multiple books with new protagonists that always sound the same, it can get repetitive.

I'm not clear on what third person omniscient is.  How is it different from plain ole third person?

A lot of people who don't know anything about writing fall into a sloppy sort of Third Person Omnicient. There are no limitations in Omnicient. The author can be inserting observations in one paragraph that only they would know, and in the next paragraph be inserting thoughts of character A, and then in the same paragraph thoughts of character B. The fact that you have no limitations can make it challenging to write Omnicient in a good way. When done right, Omnicient POV can have have interesting comedic moments with the author narrating their ironic take on their characters (Like with JK Rowling and Georgette Heyer). A lot of fantasy authors, in my opinion, do Omnicient poorly. They use that writing style so that they can ocasionally dedicate a couple pages to information dumping about their fantasy world without worrying if this info actually would be something one of their characters would know, care, or think about.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:11:31 AM by Marie August »

Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
To my mind the real joy of writing in first is when the POV character is totally and utterly wrong and does not know it but you want it to come across to the reader anyway, which is an extremely fun challenge to work with; an awful lot of people seem to take first-person narrators as both inherently sympathetic and inherently reliable, and like any other reader assumption that gives you something to work in contrast to.  The Thing I Want to Work On is in one first-person POV, and I am enjoying it immensely.  (The Thing I Should Be Working On is in two third-person POVs and I am finding that a bit more of a grind as a format.)

The thing about third-person omni is that the narrative voice becomes itself a character.  This can be really effective, as in Alexandre Dumas and his modern avatar Paarfi of Roundwood - I incline to primarily blame Dickens for breaking third-omni as commonly used in English, and inspiring legions of sloppy multiple-third novels with hopping from head to head whenever the author feels like and no surrounding frame structure or actual omni voice.  I have only one, way back-burnered project with an explicit omni narrator, and that voice is really something of a jerk, and difficult as heck to make work.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
To my mind the real joy of writing in first is when the POV character is totally and utterly wrong and does not know it but you want it to come across to the reader anyway, which is an extremely fun challenge to work with; an awful lot of people seem to take first-person narrators as both inherently sympathetic and inherently reliable, and like any other reader assumption that gives you something to work in contrast to.  The Thing I Want to Work On is in one first-person POV, and I am enjoying it immensely.  (The Thing I Should Be Working On is in two third-person POVs and I am finding that a bit more of a grind as a format.)

The thing about third-person omni is that the narrative voice becomes itself a character.  This can be really effective, as in Alexandre Dumas and his modern avatar Paarfi of Roundwood - I incline to primarily blame Dickens for breaking third-omni as commonly used in English, and inspiring legions of sloppy multiple-third novels with hopping from head to head whenever the author feels like and no surrounding frame structure or actual omni voice.  I have only one, way back-burnered project with an explicit omni narrator, and that voice is really something of a jerk, and difficult as heck to make work.
That sparks an interesting notion:  imagine a story that is both.  Make the narrator full character that happens to be an Omniscient being, but otherwise make it 1st POV.  Like a story told from the POV of Death himself, who is just idly watching the story unfold as while waiting for "his moment"

Its probably been done somewhere, but it could still be a fun read
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The Fox and The Firebird
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »

Whenever you're reading or writing something in the POV of a character (third or first), they should be an unreliable narrator. It can be a very good tactic in causing the readers to make a flawed assumption, which can then cause the readers to be surprised when a plot twist comes later on. You can foreshadow the plot twist, but have the readers miss it because the POV character did.

Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com