Author Topic: Mortals with enchanted items?  (Read 7395 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Mortals with enchanted items?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »
Alright.

I trust your judgement on this.

Can't speak for Haru though.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »
Here's how I'd word it.

This got easier when I realized that I could shed a lot of complexity without affecting functionality by limiting the Power to potions.

BAG OF TRICKS [-1]
Description: For whatever reason, you have access to a few minor magical trinkets.
Skills affected: Contacts, Resources, Burglary, Lore.
Effects:
Enchanted items: You have four potions, each with a strength equal to your Contacts, Resources, Burglary, or Lore skill. You may not increase their strength in any way. At the beginning of each session, you must declare which potions you have on hand.
More Trinkets [-1]. You have four additional potions.

If this is in any way unclear or inelegant, please say so.
Phrasing it as potions is indeed very elegant, I had not even thought about it. Looks good to me like that, it is pretty much (see below) what I had in mind.

I suggest allowing declared trinkets under the "More Trinkets" category.
I would allow so as well (and already do in my campaign), maybe limited to the 4 new trinkets, but I would definitely allow it. It allows for a more flexible play style and maybe some crazy last minute ideas to safe the day or just create an act of awesome.

I like that freedom as a player myself, so as a GM I would not restrict a player too much here. If a player starts abusing, I can still limit him. The other way around (strict first, then loosen) is nothing I like, since the player won't be able to flex his creative muscles.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »
Alright, then. It's unanimous.

BAG OF TRICKS [-1]
Description: For whatever reason, you have access to a few minor magical trinkets.
Skills affected: Contacts, Resources, Burglary, Lore.
Effects:
Enchanted items: You have four potions, each with a strength equal to your Contacts, Resources, Burglary, or Lore skill. You may not increase their strength in any way. At the beginning of each session, you must declare which potions you have on hand.
More Trinkets [-1]. You have four additional potions. Furthermore, you may choose to leave potion slots open to be filled later with Declarations.

Haru, do you mind if I add this to the master list?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
Haru, do you mind if I add this to the master list?
Do that. In fact, that's why I wanted to iron it out like this.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
Is it being posted as a power or a stunt? 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 02:09:12 AM »
Power.

That's why it's got that formatting.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »
Power.

That's why it's got that formatting.

Ah good point, my bad. 

I see one issue with this power, well two:
1) If this stacks with normal potion slots from magic it could get kinda crazy.
2) The OP wanted a way for Pure Mortals to have enchanted items.  Making Bag of Tricks a power (which I agree it should be, don't get me wrong) sort of stops mortals from having it.  Do we have an alternative for Mortals?  Should there be an alternative for Mortals?

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 01:16:59 AM »
I see one issue with this power, well two:
1) If this stacks with normal potion slots from magic it could get kinda crazy.
2) The OP wanted a way for Pure Mortals to have enchanted items.  Making Bag of Tricks a power (which I agree it should be, don't get me wrong) sort of stops mortals from having it.  Do we have an alternative for Mortals?  Should there be an alternative for Mortals?

1) Why would stacking be 'kinda crazy'? So long as your lore skill isn't a dump stat, Thaumaturgy or Ritual (Craft) produced potions are strictly better than the ones made available from Bag of Tricks. Thaum/Craft potions can be boosted by tags at creation time and use; can have Craft Power foci; can get 4 more potion slots for -1 refresh via Refinement. Additionally, Thaum allows for Craft specializations. Piddly little +5 unboostable potions don't compare to the +6 to +14 monsters an Artificer can invoke (lore 5, Spec +1, Foci +2, 2 tags, 1 debt).
2) With all the limitations on it, and the ability for Pure Mortals to use potions made by others without incurring refresh bonus loss, I don't see a good reason for this 'Power' not to be available as a stunt. While more versatile than most stunts, in absolute terms it's weaker (combat wise, 5 unaugmented shifts can be matched or exceeded by equipment and one stunt or tag; utility wise, most of the problematic spells need more than 5 shifts).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 05:33:54 AM »
He's still a mortal narratively, even if he has this Power.

You can ignore the mechanics, they're insignificant so far as that's concerned.

As GryMor says, Refinement is better than this if you can already Craft. (Assuming you have high Lore. Which you will, unless you're the guy who posted about his Lore-less Wizard on RPGnet today.)

Please note that this Power does not allow you to change your Crafting skill, if you thought it could.

It's still better than a Stunt, though.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »
Powers make you lose +2 refresh bonus, making said character non-Pure Mortal...plain and simple.  Potions are supernatural.

+5 shift potions are remarkably useful.  Especially if you have 8 of them.

Add those to a character who can already make potions with Thaum or Ritual crafting and I can see things getting pretty sick pretty fast.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 01:18:17 PM »
Add those to a character who can already make potions with Thaum or Ritual crafting and I can see things getting pretty sick pretty fast.[/spoiler]

If a character has Thaum or Ritual crafting, they can spend those same refresh on Refinement for more potion slots and gain what are (probably) far better results.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »
If a character has Thaum or Ritual crafting, they can spend those same refresh on Refinement for more potion slots and gain what are (probably) far better results.

You do get double the normal potions this way though right?  Or am I wrong?  I thought each refinement granted two enchanted item slots.   (Wait...if it's focus item slots...then it is four enchanted item slots, which is four potions slots....)

Hmmmm.....  Ok, that being the case.  I still stand by my opinion about Pure Mortals but I retract the rest.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »
it's focus item slots...then it is four enchanted item slots, which is four potions slots

This.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »
Gotcha.

Just the one problem then.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 11:11:04 PM »
Potions are supernatural.

The very first book of the series contains a mortal using a potion.