Author Topic: how would i make an electrimancer character  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Wirenut

• Participant
    • View Profile
how would i make an electrimancer character
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
I know electricity isn't one of the five element but I want to build a wizard for the game that specializes in electricity spells. As an electrician he'll be able to use his hex to cause fake problems and then "fix" them which will probably get him into all kinds of trouble. But I'm want to see if anyone has any cool suggestions for spells and magic items. What would be some good focus items for such a character? And do you think things like tailor made transformers and capacitors could be brought into play?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:24:26 PM by Wirenut »

Offline Wirenut

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: electrimancer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »
He will be a chest deep wizard if that helps.

Offline Wirenut

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: how would i make an electrimancer character
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 05:30:12 PM »
Would I be pushing electrons around using Spirit?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
I tend to allow electricity through air magic, but in one of my games I've got a player who has an Electric channeler, so I don't see a problem with that.

However, evocation generally doesn't have the finesse to do things like break electronics in a particular way beyond, well, just breaking them, and I would think that controlling electronics is right out.

Though maybe you could have an electrical ritualist of some kind, but that still kind of runs up against the whole "magic doesn't mix with tech" thing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:55:24 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:59:14 PM »
"Your Story" has a side-box in the pages about elements that discusses electricity. It suggests you treat it either as a separate element, or as a sort of sub-category of Air or Earth, depending on your character's personality and philosophy of magic.

Electricity does have a little bit of the same problem as Fire as an element - you have to get creative to do more with it than hurt things. Evocation is pretty limited in the sense that it's not good at doing small, detailed manipulation, so don't plan on using it to hack a computer.

Some spells I'd expect to see:
-A blast of lightning to blow stuff up
-An electric cage, holding someone in place
-Stunning or tripping someone by using a targeted electrocution to cause muscle spams

As for focus items, I could imagine using a bracelet or ring of copper wire, a magnet or lodestone, or anything with a symbolic lightning-bolt or thunder-cloud motif on it.

Mr. Death did make a good point that hexing can't be controlled enough to let you decide HOW something gets broken, just that it WILL be broken. Also, I doubt that even Thaumaturgy can magically interact with technology on a detailed level. Still, with a high enough score in Craftsmanship and maybe an Electrician stunt, I would let you attempt to repair hexed items - as long as you can control yourself well enough to not hex them even more in the process (discipline rolls or invokes/compels would be appropriate).

Finally, I'm really not sure what you're looking for with "tailor made transformers and capacitors". Anyone with the Craftsmanship skill can roll maneuvers/declarations to build useful stuff. I wouldn't let you build that kind of tech with magic, though.

Offline Wirenut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
I know electronics are out of  the question but a capacitor could be something as simple as two metal plates separated by a sheet of glass or ceramic. They would just store electricity like a battery. Harry doesn't blow out transformers when he walk through the city cause they aren't complicated. Transformers have one coil of wire on one side and another coil with twice the amount of windings. Voltage fed through the small coil induces a current in the bigger coil and increases the amount coming out. If the ratio is 1 to 2 the voltage is doubled. That's a step-up transformer. Reversed it becomes a step-down transformer.

Offline Wirenut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »
Basic residential and commercial wiring should be able to withstand a little hexing. Then my character could find the short in the switch or plug and fix it. I'm not going to attempt to mess with any electronics cause the are way to high tech.

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
I just want to pop in and say this makes me think of one of my favorite super heroes

(click to show/hide)

Also there is no need for him to be a wizard, he could always have sponserd magic from a god of thunder or storms or something. He could also be a relative to such a being, and thus have inherited some of his powers?

Offline Wirenut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 06:26:49 PM »
I like that idea but the GMT won't let me do that.

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 06:30:01 PM »
I like that idea but the GMT won't let me do that.

Bah well that is no fun.  :-[

Maybe if you ask real nicely or perhaps threaten them with a baseball bat?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »
I know electronics are out of  the question but a capacitor could be something as simple as two metal plates separated by a sheet of glass or ceramic. They would just store electricity like a battery. Harry doesn't blow out transformers when he walk through the city cause they aren't complicated. Transformers have one coil of wire on one side and another coil with twice the amount of windings. Voltage fed through the small coil induces a current in the bigger coil and increases the amount coming out. If the ratio is 1 to 2 the voltage is doubled. That's a step-up transformer. Reversed it becomes a step-down transformer.

Something along these lines sounds like a really detailed and interesting focus or enchanted item.

Of note I wouldn't go full wizard unless you really want the variety. Remember that while Dresden specializes in fire, he still does all sorts of things. That's the wizard. Capable of a large variety of things, even if specialized. If you just want to manipulate lightning then channeling is your best bet.

If you do want to go full wizard, then I would totally do air and earth (and spirit) as your elements.

Other ideas for spells:
Magnetic maneuvers/blocks.
Zonewide "Thunderstorms"

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »
If your GM would allow it, you could also create enchanted items that act as batteries for magical energy.

Offline Wirenut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »
I was definitely thinking of using earth, air and spirit.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
There is a thread that proposes quite a few different element systems, and particular the physics one might be something for you: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,16947.0.html
You could either take the focused practitioner route or go full wizard, though I would suggest the focused practitioner, if you only want to do the electric thing.
Or you could create your own system, based around electricity. Current, Voltage, Resistance could be elements, but you would probably need 2 more to make it a viable system, and I can't think of anything at the moment.

Remember that magic can allow you to play fast and loose with physics. For example, you could create the charge that you can build up with a capacitor in thin air, it is basically 2 different charges opposite each other. So you could for example have a spell that creates the aspect "charged up", that you can tag on subsequent spells. Actual capacitors can function as enchanted items and/or foci they are items that are made to handle the forces you work with.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Wirenut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »
Thanks!