Author Topic: Character Evolution  (Read 1941 times)

Offline ChaosPhoenix

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Character Evolution
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
Hi!
I'm still new to the Dresden Files RPG and I'm still trying to figure out which power level we're starting with. My problem is that I would like to start with weak characters so the players will get to know the world from a horror point of view. But over the course of adventures I want them to be Were-thingies, Wizards and Whatnot. While I could see someone going from a minor talent to a sorcerer to a wizard. It's less likely to go from a Red Court Infected to a White Court Vampire. On the other hand, I don't want them to start as pure mortal (except for those who want to ;))

So my question is how would you start strong templates as weak characters? And another one is, are you able to make a radical change to your character later on? E.g. going from pure mortal to wizard? Is this possible with character advancement?

Thanks for your time :)

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Character Evolution
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »
Hi!
I'm still new to the Dresden Files RPG and I'm still trying to figure out which power level we're starting with. My problem is that I would like to start with weak characters so the players will get to know the world from a horror point of view. But over the course of adventures I want them to be Were-thingies, Wizards and Whatnot. While I could see someone going from a minor talent to a sorcerer to a wizard. It's less likely to go from a Red Court Infected to a White Court Vampire. On the other hand, I don't want them to start as pure mortal (except for those who want to ;))

So my question is how would you start strong templates as weak characters? And another one is, are you able to make a radical change to your character later on? E.g. going from pure mortal to wizard? Is this possible with character advancement?

Thanks for your time :)
There really isn't any way to go from Red Court Infected -> White Court Vamp though (They're two different Beasts entirely), the only exit (leaving out GM handwavery) for a Red Court Infected, is eventually giving in to the hunger and becoming a full Red Court Vamp and an NPC. (It would be interesting however to see what would happen if a Red Court Vamp bit a White Court Virgin though...which nature would be dominant).

There's nothing to stop you going from pure mortal/focussed practitioner to Wizard, or from White Court Virgin to full White Court Vamp, the PC just needs to pick up the extra powers as they reach major milestones and alter their aspects to reflect these changes.

In such cases I'd ensure that there is some in narrative justification for this development, particularly where a Pure Mortal gains supernatural powers, whether this is discovering that his great great grandfather was a demigod, or learning to call upon the spirits of the dead for aid, it isn't something that should just happen without warning. Maybe that burgeoning necromancer gets the feeling of being watched when investigating a notorious murder scene, or sees flickers of movement just out of sight in a graveyard, maybe the second cousin twice removed of Zeus has occational boosts of strength during emergencies, put down to the adrenaline rush of the situation.

This can be easily done through the "Temporarily acquiring powers" mechanic that I believe is to be found somewhere in YS (the page ref escapes me atm, but I'm sure that someone knows).

If however you want characters that naturally progress as a part of their template then Scions/Changelings are good bets, and you could even start them off as pure mortals, unaware of their heritage who are naturally rather shocked when some traumatic event triggers that spark of inhumanity within them.

Edit: Tracked down page number for the 'Temporary Powers' mechanic it's YS pg 92
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:42:14 PM by Praxidicae »

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
The templates are there as guidelines. They're not character classes and you don't have to stick with JUST those templates. To handle "weak" versions of powerful templates, you can simply remove some of the powers, and for the most part the book guides you through this as it explains the various templates.

You can be a beast-changing evocator who is marked by power, sure. The only weird place it goes is when you try to "jump between" vampire Courts.

Basically, if you can rationalize it, more power to you, and I'd love to hear how you worked it out.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
You could just take really low skills at the start of the game. No matter what powers you have, low skills will make you weak. And they're easy to justify raising.

A bit of houseruling might be needed though.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »
There really isn't any way to go from Red Court Infected -> White Court Vamp though (They're two different Beasts entirely), the only exit (leaving out GM handwavery) for a Red Court Infected, is eventually giving in to the hunger and becoming a full Red Court Vamp and an NPC. (It would be interesting however to see what would happen if a Red Court Vamp bit a White Court Virgin though...which nature would be dominant).
That would be an awesome character to play. A Red-Court infected White-Court virgin. Torn between the two courts plus his own humanity, and eventually (after enough major milestones), he Feeds (either on blood or in lust), and the Court he aligns with takes complete control, extinguishing the other demon completely.

Or not quite completely...

I love being a DM. I can just roll up a new character and RP with him in whichever session I want!
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »
That would be an awesome character to play. A Red-Court infected White-Court virgin. Torn between the two courts plus his own humanity, and eventually (after enough major milestones), he Feeds (either on blood or in lust), and the Court he aligns with takes complete control, extinguishing the other demon completely.

Or not quite completely...

I love being a DM. I can just roll up a new character and RP with him in whichever session I want!

^This.  And you can play more than one character at a time, including adding tension between them.

... And as long as you remember to never out-cool your players, they'll love you for the depth of your world and realism of your characters.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:43:50 PM »
... And as long as you remember to never out-cool your players, they'll love you for the depth of your world and realism of your characters.

Exactly this. Avoid having a "pet NPC" aka "Baron von Badass."
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:46:50 PM »
Oh, believe me, with my group, there's no way I'll ever be able to compete with their roleplaying, minmaxing, or general character-building skills. I mean, I'm not bad at any of those, but some of them are on a whole new level.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline ChaosPhoenix

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »
Thanks for all the answers, you've helped a lot :). I think we'll make characters with 7 refreshpoints but I'll unlock most abilities over time :)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »
A suggestion:
Set the first session many years in the past.  Once they finish that plot (hitting a major milestone) then flash forward by a year or two.  Repeat as necessary.  This gives a slow build up (like in the novels) while explaining (for example) how the guy who started with channeling finally made it to the White Council.  It took him years of game to learn the powers, but most of that happens in downtime so doesn't slow play.

This explains how things like Resources, Contacts, etc can shift - you made (or lost) money (or friends) during the downtime.  How various powers get developed.  How IoP can be found or lost.

Richard
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:42:54 PM by Richard_Chilton »

Offline ChaosPhoenix

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
Thanks, great idea :)!