Author Topic: Modular abilities and the catch  (Read 4045 times)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Modular abilities and the catch
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 11:34:30 PM »
Umbra, you seem to be skipping the first part of Billy's response in both sidebars.
Didn't skip either.  Even alluded to both of them - though in different posts.  See previous posts for my thoughts.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
UmbraLux, the rules explicitly say that you can shapeshift in order to heal faster from your injuries. It doesn't get much more clear-cut than that.

Sure, it says that the GM can rule against you. But that's always true.

MWKilduff, you seem to have a problem of some kind with what your player is doing. What is that problem? Everything sounds kosher to me.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »
My concern is simple. I don't want his character to outshine the other players by being overpowered.  As both a player and a story teller I can see the argument from both sides and just wanted to get outside opinions so that I make the right decision.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »
I'd let him do it for now. I wouldn't expect him to be noticeably more powerful than an Evoker or a Crafter or an Incite Emotion-based fighter or a physical tank.

But if it were to become a problem, I'd houserule in UmbraLux's interpretation. That's what the book tells you to do if there's a problem, it's probably worth a shot.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
In situations like this I am a fan of giving it a test run. If it becomes a problem you can always address it at that point. Just make sure that everyone at the table is aware that it is being used in a trial fashion. That way if it does end up being problematic the player doesn't feel blindsided by the issue being raised again.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
We are going to try umbralux's solution it seems most fair and balanced. If we find otherwise we will adapt.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
Personally I would have thought any advantage gained from modular abilities would be covered in the 2 refresh, considering you will need true shape shifting to get any real flexibility from those modular abilities it remains quite a high refresh build compared to any more focused one.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
I do not think the math supports it. If I have only 3 points spent in modular abilities giving me just 1 form point I can get supernatural toughness with the +3 cold iron catch and after the fight scene switch to supernatural recovery and use the recovery powers to wipe out consequences. For 3 points I got what would cost a straight buy of supernatural toughness and recovery 5 points including the +3 cold iron catch.  That is directly where I am concerned. To be honest I do not expect this to come up too much because my player believes in the power of the sneaky! Most bad guys will never get through his veils.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »
Having Toughness and Recovery all the time is better than swapping between the two. What if someone shoots you during the car chase? What if you need to ditch mild consequences before they get tagged during the fight?

Having one < having either < having both.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »
I do not disagree with you.  But I think that a point spread of 2 points is still significant. 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
Eh, I think it's within the balance margin of error. It might be above the curve, but it won't make other optimized characters feel weak.

Might be a problem if the rest of the party is un-optimized, though. What do the other PCs look like?

PS: My experience here is limited because my shapeshifting PC has Recovery all the time and my shapeshifting villain has not yet appeared onscreen. I'm only about 60% confident here.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »
Well, with how many people keep saying I should just let it slide I am gonna try it.  You guys have more experience than me...  I guess I will just have to give you guys an update once I have tried it out.