Author Topic: Sword of the cross modification  (Read 6771 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the cross modification
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »
I'd recommend against going with some sort of reforging, if for no other reason than you'd have to come up with a plausable means to do so.  Consider that even Warden's blades (which aren't even in the same weight class)
(click to show/hide)
.  How much more of an issue would it be to reforge a holy relic in such a way that it doesn't become a (possibly still holy) lump of steel?
Considering that Sanya got his sword from THE Michael, I'd say that it should be no problem for an angelic smith to recreate it any way he wants, even if a a human reforged it into a lump of steel. Or maybe the real IoP is the nail, not the sword around it, so the nail can't be destroyed or even formed, the rest of the sword is just forged around the nail. Anyway, I don't think that should be too much of an issue.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »
Point.  Even so, the book indicates that "A Sword of the Cross always takes the form of a sword, though the precise type of sword may change through the ages."  Not that you can't change this, but why do so when you can just as easily make a new item that fits better and doesn't result in a "Knight of the Cross" that punches Denarians with holy brass knuckles?

(As an aside, note that Brass Knuckles of the Cross would cost -4 rather than -3, due to their concealability.)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »
I like the idea of a pair of mail/plate gauntlets with great a great heavy ornate cross over the business portion of each fist, but that may not be in the luchedor aesthetic.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:05 AM »
Point.  Even so, the book indicates that "A Sword of the Cross always takes the form of a sword, though the precise type of sword may change through the ages."
Hmm, you're right. Then again, you could take my second idea and just make it a sword shaped amulet (Hah! :P) that grants you the power of the sotc for your knuckles.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:02 AM »
(As an aside, note that Brass Knuckles of the Cross would cost -4 rather than -3, due to their concealability.)

Would th eplayer be able to afford a -4 version, Taskill?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Taskill_Mckennan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 01:15:12 PM »
Would th eplayer be able to afford a -4 version, Taskill?
yeah he's been hoarding his refresh. He's got 7 free refresh so the four would be nothing

. Or maybe the real IoP is the nail, not the sword around it, so the nail can't be destroyed or even formed, the rest of the sword is just forged around the nail. Anyway, I don't think that should be too much of an issue.

I'm pretty sure it's the nail, since Katanas weren't really around till the 15th/16th century and the style of cavalry blade that Sanya uses wasn't around till about 1908, I would assume the blades have been reforged previously since that leaves 2000 year gap from -33BC till the Calvary saber version of Esperacchius. I'm sure they've been reforged a few times, but not to many. I'm almost positive that the nail is the more important part.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »
If he has the refresh to spare, I'd go with either a different IoP with the same powers (made from any number of things out there) or have him take the Armed Arts stunt.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's the nail, since Katanas weren't really around till the 15th/16th century and the style of cavalry blade that Sanya uses wasn't around till about 1908, I would assume the blades have been reforged previously since that leaves 2000 year gap from -33BC till the Calvary saber version of Esperacchius. I'm sure they've been reforged a few times, but not to many. I'm almost positive that the nail is the more important part.
Yes, it's been confirmed that Esperacchius and Fidelacchius have each been reworked in the past. Amorachhius, however, has not. It's probable that none of them were forged right then and there after Christ was pulled off the Cross; more likely, the nails had been kept as relics, and turned into the swords somewhere in the middle ages.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taskill_Mckennan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
Yes, it's been confirmed that Esperacchius and Fidelacchius have each been reworked in the past. Amorachhius, however, has not. It's probable that none of them were forged right then and there after Christ was pulled off the Cross; more likely, the nails had been kept as relics, and turned into the swords somewhere in the middle ages.
Yeah He was thinking maybe a trench knife instead of just pure knuckles know. The WWI era weapon that was a sharp knife with the knuckles attached to it for use in the trenches to punch down through enemy helmets. Therefore it'd have a sword(ish) shape and be able to still have his knuckles

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »
Yeah He was thinking maybe a trench knife instead of just pure knuckles know. The WWI era weapon that was a sharp knife with the knuckles attached to it for use in the trenches to punch down through enemy helmets. Therefore it'd have a sword(ish) shape and be able to still have his knuckles

Just remind him that it'd be Weapon 1, not 3.  Also, it'd still be 4 refresh (as it can easily be concealed).

Offline Taskill_Mckennan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »
Just remind him that it'd be Weapon 1, not 3.  Also, it'd still be 4 refresh (as it can easily be concealed).
Yup he's got +5 in fists anyways he'll be doing good enough. Either way, I'm not sure how it's gonna happen unless a denarian gets ahold of the swords and screw um up

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 05:45:22 PM »
Yup he's got +5 in fists anyways he'll be doing good enough. Either way, I'm not sure how it's gonna happen unless a denarian gets ahold of the swords and screw um up
Or a Fae... Or a Vampire...
(click to show/hide)
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
(click to show/hide)
That wouldn't just break the blade, that would unmake the sword--as in, ruin it and destroy its power entirely.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taskill_Mckennan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
Hmm Then how do we go about breaking the blade since it is unbreakable by the standards of the book? What happens when two unbreakable weapons collide maybe, a denarian version and a Sotc clash and each breaks maybe?

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
What happens when two unbreakable weapons collide maybe, a denarian version and a Sotc clash and each breaks maybe?
**The idea factory starts churning**
Oooh... Sword of the Fall? A sliver of a Fallen Angel's sword, shattered during the War of Angels, reforged into a Mortal weapon... What powers could it have? Hmmm.... Oh, Thanks for the idea!
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.