Author Topic: Spring Court Magic  (Read 1570 times)

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
Spring Court Magic
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »
Hey everyone! I know the theory of this has been covered over and over again, but having finally written something up, I'm interested in  folks opinion on whether it seems balance and properly distributed.  I modeled it after the (Un)Seelie entries in the book.  If anyone has any (constructive) notes or suggestions, I'm happy to get them.

Saolion (say-ohl ee own) [-4]
Description:  Drawing upon the Pure Way, the power of the fallen Spring Court, you are able to cast spells that fit its essential nature: change, growth, renewal, light, vitality and earth.  These magics are under the sway and watch of the Oberon, Lord of Faerie and inevitably making use of them will draw his notice.  This is ancient and rarely practiced lore, focusing on bringing forth the new.  This is the power to reveal what is hidden, restore what has been lost and replace what no longer serves its purpose.

Skills Effected: Discipline, Conviction

Effects:
Vernal Spellcasting: You are able to cast spells of a deep and true nature, drawing upon the power of the Spring Court.  Due to the faerie nature of the this power source, it is less flexible in some areas than mortal spell casting and is therefore subject to the limitations described under "Sponsored Magic" in Spellcasting, page 287.
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Court Magic
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
Are you including all of the Summer and Winter benefits?  Downgrading the toughness of another court and using as an element for evocation are the big ones (in addition to standard sponsored magic).  If you aren't, it's probably a bit expensive.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »
Sorry, yes, I intended it to be handled as the other Sponsored Magics (and the other Fae origin ones) as far as satisfying Catches and the like. 

Good eye - thanks!
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »
When using Spring and Fall courts, I'd recommend applying the toughness reduction power to all other courts (for Winter and Summer also) not just the opposite.  It avoids issues of not having an enemy court show up (making the power meaningless) and gives all courts reason to be wary of each other. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:18:51 AM »
The other Fey Magics offer one type of thaumaturgy with the speed and methods of Evocation. Does this do the same?

PS: Mind if I steal this for the master list?

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »
Not at all, Sanctaphrax! I'd be honored!  ;D

For this I would suggest either Photomancy (light) or Biomancy (growth/vitality) as the Thaumaturgical specialties - (GM's call).

So, with the comments so far, here's what we have:

Saolion (say-ohl ee own) [-4]
Description:  Drawing upon the Pure Way, the power of the fallen Spring Court, you are able to cast spells that fit its essential nature: change, growth, renewal, light, vitality and earth.  These magics are under the sway and watch of the Oberon, Lord of Faerie and inevitably making use of them will draw his notice.  This is ancient and rarely practiced lore, focusing on bringing forth the new.  This is the power to reveal what is hidden, restore what has been lost and replace what no longer serves its purpose.

Skills Effected: Discipline, Conviction

Effects:
Vernal Spellcasting: You are able to cast spells of a deep and true nature, drawing upon the power of the Spring Court.  Due to the faerie nature of the this power source, it is less flexible in some areas than mortal spell casting and is therefore subject to the limitations described under "Sponsored Magic" in Spellcasting, page 287.

Fae Vendetta: This power's spells satisfy the Catches for both Winter and Summer Courts. 

Thaumaturgy with Evocation Speed and Methods: The Pure Way allows the user to access either Photomancy or Biomancy and for them to be utilized with evocation speed and methods, in accordance with the same rules that apply to other examples of Sponsored Magic.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:35:40 AM by CBIrish »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »
Theft complete.

Your opinion would be appreciated.