Author Topic: Opposed Skills  (Read 1481 times)

Offline JesterPoet

• Participant
    • View Profile
Opposed Skills
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »
Is there a place, either on this board, or in the book (I miss a lot of things) where it is listed which skills oppose each other?  It'd be really nice to have a quick reference.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Opposed Skills
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:28:48 AM »
I don't understand the question.

Offline JesterPoet

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
For example... Dave is using intimidate.  What skill should the enemy use to oppose it?

But not just intimidate.  I'm just curious if there's a quick place to figure out what is the best opposing skill when it isn't obvious.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:02:20 AM »
The skill write-up in Your Story gives a guideline listed under each skill. But in practice, it's more of a situation-by-situation thing. You could defend against Intimidate with several skills, depending on how well you can sell it to the GM, or what stunts a given character might have. There isn't a hard and fast list.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:40 AM »
For example... Dave is using intimidate.  What skill should the enemy use to oppose it?

But not just intimidate.  I'm just curious if there's a quick place to figure out what is the best opposing skill when it isn't obvious.

It's pretty much context-dependent and up to the GM in most cases where it's not spelled out by the book. There's no table of hard-and-fast "skill X is opposed by skill Y".

Look at each skill's description. For skills that have opposed rolls, it will usually say what opposes it in the text. If, however, it just says something about opposing a defense roll, then you have to look at which skills can be used as defense, according to their skill entry.

Using Intimidate as an example, it depends on what trapping you're using. The "Brush Off" trapping explicitly says "you may roll a quick contest of Intimidation against the opponent’s Discipline or Presence."  On the other hand, the "Social Attacks" trapping says "The target usually gets his choice of social skill to defend against such an attack—for whatever help that might ofer him—so long as it’s appropriate to the attack."

So, actually, based on that, there are even situations where multiple skills are appropriate to oppose something, and either the GM or the Player will get to choose which one to use.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:26:17 AM »
Firstly everyone else is right, it's generally context specific.

That said, there are three skills that I figure are universally useful in their specific areas. Athletics can pretty much always be used as a defense in physical conflict, Discipline for mental, and Rapport for social.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:29:51 AM »
As has been said, YS has basic, common-sense outlines.  Depends how lenient is- if a player can rationalize a defense roll from an unusual skill, I'll allow it (sometimes context is everything).