Author Topic: Specialization and Channeling  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Specialization and Channeling
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 01:37:47 AM »
Ghost story reply
(click to show/hide)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 02:24:09 AM »
I would just upgrade to regular Evocation, use the refinement that came with that to specialize, and then assume the high concept prevented you from using additional elements.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 02:56:27 AM »
I still like my old suggestion of letting people have ladderless specializations instead of focus slots.

As for Sponsored Magic, I don't think that the guy in question here does enough Evocation for that.

Offline Kolat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 08:13:28 AM »
So is this wasted? eg. Should I just use the +1 refresh to upgrade to Evocation since that comes with a free Specialiation?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
So is this wasted? eg. Should I just use the +1 refresh to upgrade to Evocation since that comes with a free Specialiation?

Yes, or make more powerful focus items.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
That would be my suggestion.  You can also use Sanctaphrax's idea of very similar elements if you want your mage to be thematically limited.  Something like Fire, Smoke, and Ash instead of Fire, Air, and Earth.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Cowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
How about saying that the improvement with earth magic also brings the understanding of how to apply earth magic in nontraditional ways. So upgrade to evocation with elements like this...

1. Earth----Same as it ever was.

2. Optics----Electromagnetic manipulation is earth magic. Light is an electromagnetic wave. Using earth magic to manipulate light allows veils, illusions, and lasers

3. Kinetics----There are only four fundamental forces (Electromagnetic force, Gravitational force, Strong Nuclear force, and Weak nuclear force). Kinetics is the application Electromagnetic and Gravitational force to matter. With this element you can create directly generate force as well as move air around (tornadoes, wind, etc)

4. Fire----The earth is in enormous source of heat energy. Learning how to tap into this allows you to effectively use all trappings of fire magic.

5. Entropy----The earth is also a massive entropy reservoir. Drawing from or adding to it can allow the earth mage to use decay, disintegration beams, Ramirez shields and probability manipulation.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 09:01:57 PM »
Concentrating effects from several elements into one is a dangerous proposition, as far as game balance is concerned.
Tread very carefully.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »
Concentrating effects from several elements into one is a dangerous proposition, as far as game balance is concerned.
Tread very carefully.
Are you talking about using closely themed elements or are you talking about using just one element and voiding the ladder?  Or something else?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
It is possible that I may have misinterpreted Cowboy's intent.  I initially interpreted his post as suggesting adding options to an element that would normally not be readily available to it.  On second read, it seems he may have intended it as an optional elements list, which would be quite a bit less precarious for game balance.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 09:23:12 PM »
It's more of adapting full up Evocation to still being an Earth Focused Practitioner, aka, an alternate element set.

Offline Cowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
It's more of adapting full up Evocation to still being an Earth Focused Practitioner, aka, an alternate element set.

Sorry I wasn't clear. This is what I was intending.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 04:41:42 AM »
I feel the need to say that I love the idea of a focused element set.  I think that may be stolen for an illusionist our party has (optics, acoustics, perception or something like that).