Author Topic: What It Takes To Run A Game  (Read 4052 times)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What It Takes To Run A Game
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. In HS I was a big jock so most of the friends I've grown up with would just give me a look and say "Why not just go out and drink beer?" If I were to ever invite them for a game. So the problem will be finding anyone besides my GF and my one best bud that shares my love for fantasy, but if all else fails there seems to be plenty of forum games.

Ah, but you can game AND drink beer.  Problem solved!

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »
Ah, but you can game AND drink beer.  Problem solved!

I didn't know you could game and NOT drink beer...huh.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
My response sadly isn't as excellent as the previous couple. Hopefully it will still be helpful though.

Obsidianportal.com. and
Penandpapergames.com

Both have an easy to use function to help you find a game or players in your area. Even if they don't have anything in your area you can post that you are starting one and see if anyone crops up.

Make sure to check out the dfrpg lfg thread on this forums resource board. You might get lucky and find players there.

Last thing that springs to mind is hit your local gaming store. They sometimes have flyers in the store or a website that helps hook up local gamers.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »
For a more serious response, I'd also casually broach the subject with friends and acquaintances.  You'd be surprised how many of them would like to play D&D or wish they had.  DFRPG is an excellent introductory RPG, largely because it focuses more on story than mechanics.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:50:29 AM »
Found a very cool looking set of Fudge dice on amazon. I know the book recommends a set for each player, but it should certainly be possible to share a single set at first, right? No simultaneous rolling needed for any reason?

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 02:52:25 AM »
Found a very cool looking set of Fudge dice on amazon. I know the book recommends a set for each player, but it should certainly be possible to share a single set at first, right? No simultaneous rolling needed for any reason?

I would consider two sets the minimum, because there is often "opposed rolls", such as attacks, where two characters are both rolling, and the winner is whoever's skill + roll comes out higher.  Generally, you could probably get away with one set for the players to share and one set for the GM to have to himself (since he rolls about N times as often as the players, where N is the number of players).

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 03:00:12 AM »
I see. So I suppose I would be better off buying a cheap 10 or 15 dollar gm set, rather than a cool looking 8 dollar single set.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 03:34:42 AM »
Depends on how fast you want to play and whether you're willing to pass dice back and forth.  If you're willing to share at first, I'd go with the set you like better and either buy another set later or encourage your players to buy their own sets.  You can also use online sites if that's easier than sharing.  May even be a tablet or smart phone fudge die roller...though I don't know of one myself.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer