Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 44085 times)

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The Fox and The Firebird
Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2012, 04:47:58 AM »
I like them both. They feed into each other a bit. Though you really don't need to read one to enjoy the other.

Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »
I haven't been keeping track, which one is the one he is working on?

#14, if you don't count the collected short stories as a number.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
I'm not as critical of what I read as some people but I don't think I have ran into any of the poorly written copycats. Some nicely written copycats but not poorly.  :)

Of course I'm picky of the ones I buy so I might be avoiding the bad writers. But I also reject good writers because their type of UF isn't quite what I want. Patricis Briggs is one-I'm not sure if I put her on my list. I love her writing and story telling abilities but the Mercy books are to romantic sounding for me. Well, they might be more paranormal than UF. Sometimes they are very close to each other.

Then again sometimes it's just not quite right for me. Like Rachael Craine--not sure about that last name--stormwardens series. Good writing, nice tale but something about it doesn't grab me even after reading three in that series.

I have become highly critical, maybe too much so, but if I'm going to use my precious time to read, the book better knock my socks off.  Same goes for TV, movies, the whole works.  Sadly, most don't live up to my standards anymore.  Once you've had a sip of the best wine it's hard to go back to the cheap stuff.

JB is in the copycat class as well, for he's taken from other works, same as the others.  The trick is using those copycat portions in a different aspect with original values, tweaked to fit a new story.  And I think JB did just fine in that respect.  And there's some references he doesn't even try to hide (and I'm not talking about the Star Wars stuff).

I feel the same. It was my first try at UF, even though through the years I may have read a couple of short stories or stand alone UF books without realizing it. Now I'm hooks most of my reading is UF. But that may have to change. Three series have ended and even though Butcher is writing another DF novel how many more will follow? I think the Walker papers are going strong and Gilman's second series still needs at least three more. McGuire's old series has at least three more. Seems like there's another I'm losing but can't think of it right now.

It'll take me a while to get my fill of DF, so the books I have on the shelf will likely be gathering dust a while longer.   ;)  And I'm already bemoaning the fact that someday the DF books will end.  Gah!

My favorite author in the past was mostly categorized as SciFi, but his short stories ran the gamut of genre.  Unfortunately, Harlan Ellison doesn't write anymore, but he's one of the best SF authors out there, though it's unfair to call them SF.  He's in a category and a style all his own.

And it's probably hard to find his books.  I had trouble several years ago, because they're out of print, but well worth finding if you're lucky.  He also wrote for Outer Limits and worked for Disney for a day...until he got fired.  He also wrote articles and reviews of many different things, highly critical of what was popular at the time (around the 1970's IIRC).  The man is very opinionated and outspoken, but he knows his craft.

Back in the 70's Harlan let one of his novellas be made into a movie, which turned out less than stellar, and he swore he would never let Hollywood screw up one of his stories again.  The movie, A Boy and His Dog, stemmed from his story entitled Vic and Blood.  It was a hoot in its own way and became a cult classic.  It's about a post-apocalyptic world where the boy wanders with his dog, Blood, who is telepathic, "talks" to him.  Their banter is priceless.
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »
Don Johnson!!! I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!!!!
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
Don Johnson!!! I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!!!!

LOL!  A very young and skinny DJ...and I loved the dog, too!

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2012, 04:55:37 AM »

JB is in the copycat class as well, for he's taken from other works, same as the others.  The trick is using those copycat portions in a different aspect with original values, tweaked to fit a new story.  And I think JB did just fine in that respect.  And there's some references he doesn't even try to hide (and I'm not talking about the Star Wars stuff).

It'll take me a while to get my fill of DF, so the books I have on the shelf will likely be gathering dust a while longer.   ;)  And I'm already bemoaning the fact that someday the DF books will end.  Gah!

Yeah, he is but not totally. I even sent him an E-mail about one thing he copied-can't recall what right now-and even though I said that was okay, writers do it all the time he still sent me back a response and listed two other things he copied--Bob was one of those things. So as I said he's copied certain items but not the whole idea---other writers copy him.

My favorite author in the past was mostly categorized as SciFi, but his short stories ran the gamut of genre.  Unfortunately, Harlan Ellison doesn't write anymore, but he's one of the best SF authors out there, though it's unfair to call them SF.  He's in a category and a style all his own.

And it's probably hard to find his books.  I had trouble several years ago, because they're out of print, but well worth finding if you're lucky.  He also wrote for Outer Limits and worked for Disney for a day...until he got fired.  He also wrote articles and reviews of many different things, highly critical of what was popular at the time (around the 1970's IIRC).  The man is very opinionated and outspoken, but he knows his craft.

Back in the 70's Harlan let one of his novellas be made into a movie, which turned out less than stellar, and he swore he would never let Hollywood screw up one of his stories again.  The movie, A Boy and His Dog, stemmed from his story entitled Vic and Blood.  It was a hoot in its own way and became a cult classic.  It's about a post-apocalyptic world where the boy wanders with his dog, Blood, who is telepathic, "talks" to him.  Their banter is priceless.

I heard about that movie back when but didn't know he was in it. Of course back then I'm not sure if a lot of people people knew him.

But speaking of movies, anyone see the one UF movie they showed last year?  Not counting Harry Potter who is technically UF but I don't think is thought of as UF.

I have nine more JB books I can read, of course only one and a half to two have been written but that gives me around nine more years of him :)    That doesn't count that Bigfoot set of stories or anything else he may write during that time including more DF short stories.   
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »
Yeah, he is but not totally. I even sent him an E-mail about one thing he copied-can't recall what right now-and even though I said that was okay, writers do it all the time he still sent me back a response and listed two other things he copied--Bob was one of those things. So as I said he's copied certain items but not the whole idea---other writers copy him.

I heard about that movie back when but didn't know he was in it. Of course back then I'm not sure if a lot of people people knew him.

But speaking of movies, anyone see the one UF movie they showed last year?  Not counting Harry Potter who is technically UF but I don't think is thought of as UF.

I have nine more JB books I can read, of course only one and a half to two have been written but that gives me around nine more years of him :)    That doesn't count that Bigfoot set of stories or anything else he may write during that time including more DF short stories.   

Oh, no, I wasn't implying that JB copied the whole idea, not at all.  Like any other author he used a bit from here and a bit from there and created his own universe that is truly unique.  Granted I haven't read any other UF (yet), so I can't comment on other writers, but I did cut my UF baby teeth obsessively watching Buffy and Angel (and not all that long ago - way after both shows were off the air), and that's where my interest in UF began.

I didn't see A Boy and His Dog until a few years ago, after I discovered Ellison's short stories.  (I'm always late to the party.   :P)

And I'm thrilled there are several more JB books and short stories to look forward to, because now that I've discovered the Dresdenverse, I can't get enough of it.  :)

And I have no idea what UF movie you're thinking of.  Hopefully, someone else knows about it.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
But speaking of movies, anyone see the one UF movie they showed last year?

Dylan Dog?
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2012, 04:43:09 AM »
With Briggs Mercy books I am just going along with the blurb on the back. That's not always the best way to know a book but all of the books in that series have had the same type of blurbs. I should say that I almost read them,  close enough that I still keep up with the series.

Funny thing is I don't recall ever seeing her werewolf series...I assume it's the Alpha one someone mentioned. I found out about while chatting with another writer on that writers blog. That writer has a e-book out about shifters. Maybe two. If you can read e-books it would be a great one to read. I think she has out a full novel and a short story. It is romantically influenced. :)  And I think only one is a wolf but I'm not completely sure, neither might be a wolf.

And the movie I'm referring to is "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". I know a take off from the Micky Mouse one but there's a whole lot more to this movie than that scene.  In fact at the beginning of the trailers I almost thought the wizard was Harry. In certain scenes he almost seems modeled after Harry.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2012, 05:16:09 AM »
I saw both The Sorceror's Apprentice and Dylan Dog. I thought there was at least one other UF movie last year but I may be remembering something from a previous year. This happens more and more as I grow older. I didn't think either of the two previously mentioned movies were fantastic but I enjoyed them both. I probably liked TSA better than DD. I thought it was a lot of fun.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »
Patricia Briggs has several series.
The werewolf one is the Alpha and Omega series and both leads are werewolves and is more romantically
oriented than the Mercy Thompson series.  I like the way she handles her werewolf heirarchy.
She also did the Hurog series which I like a great deal and at least one if not two other series that
I'm forgetting at the moment.

As for Harlan - he's an amazing writer but his stuff is so negative that I usually avoid it.
And he can be VERY cranky about things.  Conversely I answered the phone one day at a SciFi bookstore I
used to frequent and got this familiar voice saying what a mellifluous voice I had.  He does have a way with words.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
With Briggs Mercy books I am just going along with the blurb on the back. That's not always the best way to know a book but all of the books in that series have had the same type of blurbs. I should say that I almost read them,  close enough that I still keep up with the series.

Funny thing is I don't recall ever seeing her werewolf series...I assume it's the Alpha one someone mentioned. I found out about while chatting with another writer on that writers blog. That writer has a e-book out about shifters. Maybe two. If you can read e-books it would be a great one to read. I think she has out a full novel and a short story. It is romantically influenced. :)  And I think only one is a wolf but I'm not completely sure, neither might be a wolf.

And the movie I'm referring to is "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". I know a take off from the Micky Mouse one but there's a whole lot more to this movie than that scene.  In fact at the beginning of the trailers I almost thought the wizard was Harry. In certain scenes he almost seems modeled after Harry.
Alpha and Omega are about werewolves, and so are the Mercy books. Although the biggest difference is that Mercy's not a werewolf, and she deals with other types of supernatural creatures.  From a couple interviews I've read, it sounds like the two series are going to start running concurrently and reference each other more.  She's also writing only one book a year now, switching between the two, because she was having trouble keeping up the pace with putting out two a year.  Or something like that-I forget the specifics, and I think she'd mentioned that at a con about two years ago.

Aso, the Sorcerer's Apprentice thing--there was a huge amount of discussion and whatnot around the forum because of the similarities to DF, and all.  And Jim even posted a bunch of side by side pictures on twitter at one point.  Something else that gets noted with that a lot--Nic Cage was exec producer for the DF tv series.

And Dylan Dog--the craft was showing.  I wasn't even trying to watch the movie critically, but I could see a lot of the writing pretty blatantly. Though no examples spring to mind at the moment.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2012, 03:07:28 AM »
I saw both The Sorceror's Apprentice and Dylan Dog. I thought there was at least one other UF movie last year but I may be remembering something from a previous year. This happens more and more as I grow older. I didn't think either of the two previously mentioned movies were fantastic but I enjoyed them both. I probably liked TSA better than DD. I thought it was a lot of fun.

Hmm, three maybe four people have mentioned Dylan Dog but I don't recall it. I'm going to have to look it up. Either I completely missed it or dismissed it because I didn't understand it was UF.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2012, 03:14:32 AM »
Alpha and Omega are about werewolves, and so are the Mercy books. Although the biggest difference is that Mercy's not a werewolf, and she deals with other types of supernatural creatures.  From a couple interviews I've read, it sounds like the two series are going to start running concurrently and reference each other more.  She's also writing only one book a year now, switching between the two, because she was having trouble keeping up the pace with putting out two a year.  Or something like that-I forget the specifics, and I think she'd mentioned that at a con about two years ago.

Aso, the Sorcerer's Apprentice thing--there was a huge amount of discussion and whatnot around the forum because of the similarities to DF, and all.  And Jim even posted a bunch of side by side pictures on twitter at one point.  Something else that gets noted with that a lot--Nic Cage was exec producer for the DF tv series.

And Dylan Dog--the craft was showing.  I wasn't even trying to watch the movie critically, but I could see a lot of the writing pretty blatantly. Though no examples spring to mind at the moment.

As I understood it the shifters in the Mercy books turned into other things like lions. I think I recall a lion on the cover of one. Of course cover artists do get confused at times.

But I don't recall Briggs having that many real series. There is her Raven series but that is three maybe four books. Her Dragon Bones one and its sequel--or is Bones the second one-- and her first published book and its newer sequel. Too bad she can't do more than one book a year. Is she still working? Or is she slow at writing? Some writers are. 

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2012, 04:17:31 AM »

As I understood it the shifters in the Mercy books turned into other things like lions. I think I recall a lion on the cover of one. Of course cover artists do get confused at times.

But I don't recall Briggs having that many real series. There is her Raven series but that is three maybe four books. Her Dragon Bones one and its sequel--or is Bones the second one-- and her first published book and its newer sequel. Too bad she can't do more than one book a year. Is she still working? Or is she slow at writing? Some writers are. 
All the Mercy covers have only Mercy, and I don't recall any shifters other than wolves.  Only books I recall that had a lion on any of the covers are the Magic books by Ilona Andrews. Or maybe the Kitty books.  I know those two have different types of shifters.  And for the most part Patricia's longest series are the Mercy and A&O series--she's said in an interview, or at a con, that she tends to get on a writing kick that lasts quite a while, and so far that writing kick is centered on UF/PNR, but at some point she's likely to revisit the Dragon Bones/Blood world.  I forget the exact reason why she switched to alternating books-not so much that she writes slow, because for a while she was putting out two a year, as well as some shorts in anthologies-but I think it was just very tiring.  I couldn't find anything in the search I just did.  Also, I know this past year or so her writing was also very affected by the renovations she and her husband were doing on their house.  I think her husband wrote, at some point, on her website that she got stuck for a while because of all the stress from the situation.  I believe she said that's why Fair Game's release got pushed back a few weeks.  That one I think she said at NYCC.  And thinking of that, that might've been where I heard some of this stuff.  It starts to get difficult trying to remember where I heard/read anything.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury