Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 44087 times)

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The Fox and The Firebird
Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2012, 06:14:02 AM »
I think readers are tired of poorly written, derivative novels that imitate best sellers. Readers are always happy to read something original and well done, and never happy to read all the other authors that try to profit off of the original success.

Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2012, 04:15:05 PM »
It's just part of the game that authors pick up on the formula of a successful UF - or any other genre.  If they can turn their book into something with a twist, something original, along with the copycat portions, and write well, then it becomes a book of its own right.  But yeah, I cringe thinking of all the followers that try but never quite pull it off.  I'm sure I'll run into a bunch of those as I branch out and read other UF besides DF.

There's nothing new under the sun.  Everyone is just re-working what's already out there, so the challenge becomes making it their own, unique storytelling that uses what's been learned and read into a fresh, new perspective.  It's not that easy.

"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
I think that the "new" thing that's been becoming popular over the last decade is throwing all of the "old" things into a mixing bowl. You're more hip if your book is a Mystery-Fantasy-Dystopian-Zombie Thriller-Romance. Luckily most of these are also YA (because authors need to ride off the popularity of Twilight and Harry Potter), so the libraries don't have as miserable of a time figuring out where to shelve these books.

Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2012, 06:30:11 AM »
Like UF in general, I like the mixing bowl when it's done well. Like a good cook, a good author can cook up something that is wonderful from the same ingredients that others use to make something disgusting and of course tastes vary. We may mostly agree that part of the problem with UF is the amount of poorly written books that are out there. I have found, however, that when you start talking specific books, the ones that I was referring to as being lousy may be the very ones that you think make the cut while you may believe that some of my favorites are horribly written. That's part of the fun.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »
I have found, however, that when you start talking specific books, the ones that I was referring to as being lousy may be the very ones that you think make the cut while you may believe that some of my favorites are horribly written. That's part of the fun.

There are books that I dislike because they aren't my thing, and there are books that I don't like because they're done poorly. Sometimes I'll like something despite the fact that it's done poorly, because it's a genre I enjoy. Like I might actually enjoy a poor knockoff of an UF series, because I liked what was being knocked off.

Whenever I dislike something because it's just not my thing (like horror, or super techy sci-fi), I try not to hold it against the creator. Doesn't mean that it's flawed.

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »
DF is my first venture into the world of UF in book form.  It's exactly my cup of tea.  Pure fantasy is not and neither is techno SciFi either.  But a mixture of everything suits me just fine.  Someday I will read another UF book, once I get my "fix" of DF, which right now is not even on the horizon.

Even though books are highly subjective, I still marvel at the people I know who have read the books and haven't succumbed to obsession.  What??  How can that be?   :-\
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2012, 03:16:44 AM »
I think readers are tired of poorly written, derivative novels that imitate best sellers. Readers are always happy to read something original and well done, and never happy to read all the other authors that try to profit off of the original success.

I think you have a point. Which is why UF has been changing. At least with the new ones there seems to be vey few of the DF type anymore. Benedict Jacka's books are an exception. Good ones from I hear. I have two, maybe three, more books to read before I get to "fated" his first.

Actually I think UF has changed twice since Butcher and one or two female writers started this current rage. Probably better stated is that it is continually changing, perhaps because of your second sentence. 
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2012, 03:25:22 AM »
It's just part of the game that authors pick up on the formula of a successful UF - or any other genre.  If they can turn their book into something with a twist, something original, along with the copycat portions, and write well, then it becomes a book of its own right.  But yeah, I cringe thinking of all the followers that try but never quite pull it off.  I'm sure I'll run into a bunch of those as I branch out and read other UF besides DF.

There's nothing new under the sun.  Everyone is just re-working what's already out there, so the challenge becomes making it their own, unique storytelling that uses what's been learned and read into a fresh, new perspective.  It's not that easy.

I'm not as critical of what I read as some people but I don't think I have ran into any of the poorly written copycats. Some nicely written copycats but not poorly.  :)

Of course I'm picky of the ones I buy so I might be avoiding the bad writers. But I also reject good writers because their type of UF isn't quite what I want. Patricis Briggs is one-I'm not sure if I put her on my list. I love her writing and story telling abilities but the Mercy books are to romantic sounding for me. Well, they might be more paranormal than UF. Sometimes they are very close to each other.

Then again sometimes it's just not quite right for me. Like Rachael Craine--not sure about that last name--stormwardens series. Good writing, nice tale but something about it doesn't grab me even after reading three in that series.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #188 on: June 13, 2012, 03:31:29 AM »
DF is my first venture into the world of UF in book form.  It's exactly my cup of tea.  Pure fantasy is not and neither is techno SciFi either.  But a mixture of everything suits me just fine.  Someday I will read another UF book, once I get my "fix" of DF, which right now is not even on the horizon.

Even though books are highly subjective, I still marvel at the people I know who have read the books and haven't succumbed to obsession.  What??  How can that be?   :-\

I feel the same. It was my first try at UF, even though through the years I may have read a couple of short stories or stand alone UF books without realizing it. Now I'm hooks most of my reading is UF. But that may have to change. Three series have ended and even though Butcher is writing another DF novel how many more will follow? I think the Walker papers are going strong and Gilman's second series still needs at least three more. McGuire's old series has at least three more. Seems like there's another I'm losing but can't think of it right now.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2012, 03:33:41 AM »
Three series have ended and even though Butcher is writing another DF novel how many more will follow?

Twenty or so casefiles in total and a Big Apocalyptic Trilogy to cap it off is the Plan, there. It is known.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #190 on: June 13, 2012, 03:39:32 AM »
Twenty or so casefiles in total and a Big Apocalyptic Trilogy to cap it off is the Plan, there. It is known.

Thanks,

I haven't been keeping track, which one is the one he is working on?

And an even bigger Big Apocalyptic event then he has had already--a time or two? Wow.

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2012, 04:35:22 AM »
Of course I'm picky of the ones I buy so I might be avoiding the bad writers. But I also reject good writers because their type of UF isn't quite what I want. Patricis Briggs is one-I'm not sure if I put her on my list. I love her writing and story telling abilities but the Mercy books are to romantic sounding for me. Well, they might be more paranormal than UF. Sometimes they are very close to each other.

I'd say Patricia Briggs is UF. She has a decently sophisticated world with many different types of supernatural races. If you decided not to try her out because you thought the Mercy books were romance, I'd highly recommend giving them another look. I've always seen the romance plot for Mercy as being very much in the background. It's definitely overshadowed by the mystery and action/adventure plots.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:36:56 AM by Marie August »

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2012, 04:36:12 AM »
I'd say Patricia Briggs is UF. She has a decently sophisticated world with many different types of supernatural races. If you decided not to try her out because you thought the Mercy books were romance, I'd highly recommend trying her out anyway. I've always seen the romance plot for Mercy as being very much in the background. It's definitely overshadowed by the mystery and action/adventure plots.

Also really recommend those books. Lots of action.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline Marie August

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2012, 04:37:41 AM »
If you don't like any sort of heavy romance in your UF, I would, however, avoid Patricia Briggs' Alpha Omega series. Those books definitely have a prominent romantic subplot.

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2012, 04:38:23 AM »
If you don't like any sort of heavy romance in your UF, I would, however, avoid Patricia Briggs' Alpha Omega series. Those books definitely have a prominent romantic subplot.

Yep. And I like the Chr Mercy much better.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)