Author Topic: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?  (Read 44073 times)

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
Re: Are Readers Growing Tired of New Urban Fantasy?
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:26 AM »
Female versus male writers do have different strength and weaknesses.  But IMO I don't think its as noticable in UF a say military Sci-Fi.  At least it isn't, so long as the book isn't a paranormal romance in disguise!

Regardless Ilona Andrews is a husband/wife writing team.  So they can nail the male/female character differences better and the Kate Daniels Series is definitely UF.

As long as the book is good and doesn't turn into fluff land, I really don't care who writes it, but I will be wary of disguises.

Thank you!  I shall amend my thinking and give the ladies a chance.   :)
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2012, 05:55:12 AM »
oh so glade you said that or i might have had to glear at you  :P ;)

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »
LDWriter2:  Thanks!  This is great!  I've seen a few of the names before, but don't know anything about them.  I guess you can check out my list and I'll check out yours.  I notice your list is mostly women, where mine is all men.  I think I have this misconception that female writers are more into the UF/romance thing.  Guess that may not be quite accurate.

First: Yeah, my favorites do seem to be female writers with two big exceptions as listed, well Jim is one of those two. But there are two other men who are close to my favorites. One is Mark del Franco who has two series both of which take place in the same universe. Unlike Gilman they are not in the same city and I'm not sure if they are in the same time either.
The other guy I'm going to have to look up he has a complicated name.

Second: Some men do some romance, Jim as a touch of romance. But then again a lot of the new UF is heavy romance type, I usually reject them though.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2012, 03:08:57 AM »
As long as the book is good and doesn't turn into fluff land, I really don't care who writes it, but I will be wary of disguises.

Thank you!  I shall amend my thinking and give the ladies a chance.   :)

Me no likey the fluff land. Romance is awesome. But I need my action and suspense that has nothing to do with sexual tension.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2012, 04:38:03 AM »

First: Yeah, my favorites do seem to be female writers with two big exceptions as listed, well Jim is one of those two. But there are two other men who are close to my favorites. One is Mark del Franco who has two series both of which take place in the same universe. Unlike Gilman they are not in the same city and I'm not sure if they are in the same time either.
The other guy I'm going to have to look up he has a complicated name.

Second: Some men do some romance, Jim as a touch of romance. But then again a lot of the new UF is heavy romance type, I usually reject them though.

Added del Franco to my list now.  Thanks.  Recently I've been looking up UF on Amazon, reading the reviews and weeding out the young adult and romance stuff...but I wonder why many of these names have never popped up?  Probably because there are too many pages for me to sift through and there is no way to separate the hard-core romance from the rest.  Hmm...is there a better source for UF research, other than here?

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2012, 04:41:57 AM »
Me no likey the fluff land. Romance is awesome. But I need my action and suspense that has nothing to do with sexual tension.

Yes, oh, yes.  I want it all.  Romance, alone, is only the vanilla frosting...I want the entire, gooey cake with just the right amount of icing.  Mmm...

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2012, 04:43:12 AM »
Yep. But I hate cheesy more then I hate spiders.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2012, 04:54:54 AM »
Both are vile, but at least I can avoid cheesy better than I can spiders.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »
why dose everyone around here seem to be sceared of spiders?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2012, 02:38:43 PM »
Because spiders are evil. I don't care what good they inadvertently do by feeding themselves; they are eight-eyed, eight-legged emissaries of Satan who shoot silk out of their asses. You can't tell me that's right.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
okay okay Shecky carm down it was a joke as lots of people freak out when they see spiders and round here they are too small to brake the skin then they bight so there is no point being sceared of them
but yes they are freaky looking and strange butt then so are most of the human race so who are we to thou stones?  ;) ;D

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »
Shecky, you nailed it.  LOL!  If they stayed in their own territory, outside, and minded their own business, I would tolerate them with a bit more respect, but once they cross that line into my home, they're mine.   >:(

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
okay guys they are just little creatures
(okay tranchelars creep me out so do scorpions but tiny spirers? )
chill

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
They're not all so little in my part of the world.  We have very large, very hairy wolf spiders that resemble a small mouse...and we have brown recluse spiders that if they bite you, start eating your skin like a flesh-eating bacteria.  Ewww.  Those are the ones I detest.  Not to mention black widow spiders that make you very sick, or in some cases, can kill.  So, as far as I'm concerned, all spiders are off-limits, as I can't tell the good guys from the bad ones most of the time...therefore they must all leave immediately or face my can of Raid.   ;)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2012, 03:48:21 PM »
okay guys they are just little creatures
(okay tranchelars creep me out so do scorpions but tiny spirers? )
chill

Nope. Because they are not "little creatures". They are not creatures at all. They are abominations. Crimes against reality. There is no need for these things when many other (most importantly, non-spider) things that fill their roles admirably without being spiders. Zuriel, I agree with you - I know my objection is personal and am willing to keep it in abeyance as long as they stay away from me, my home and my normal path. That's the Agreement I made with the god-king of spiders many years ago, so any that break the rule get the stomp, the smack or the fire.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.