Author Topic: Taking consequence for mundane actions.  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Flipside

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Taking consequence for mundane actions.
« on: December 27, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
Hi,

I am new here and maybe I am missing something, but...

I propose to provide an option of improving a roll by taking consequence on mundane actions. Say someone rolled a +2 (Fair) Might for a +4 (Great) door. No Fate Points! No Time! No way out! Except... I am going all in! BAM! Another +2! My Shoulder will Smart, for a while, but that Hexenwolf will not eat me today. Tomorrow, there's a new day and maybe that shoulder will stop hurting.

For Social Consequence, I will propose "Making a Scene" - you will be embarrassed, but so is your target. You hope...

For Mental consequence, you can  "Bond with the Prisoner", giving him an option to get back at you later. Also, you can "Tell him something real and true" that can hurt you for a long time, later.

Hell, let's go for a WWE-Style sacrifice throw! A maneuver that ends with you enemy AND you on the floor!

I think it will provide more tactical and dramatic options players and fun ways to hurt them, for the GM. It fits with the spirit of the game, so that's good.

Thoughts?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Taking consequence for mundane actions.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »
See here!  :)  Fred put up a thoughtful article on using consequences proactively.  Long story short, it can add an interesting dimension to the game.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Flipside

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:54:50 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I knew someone would have thought of that bright idea :)

The articles mentions bad stuff up to Severe consequences. What's only left to add is "Sawed his foot off to escape" Extreme Consequence from a minor horror movie, if you are feeling particularly cruel.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:53:27 AM »
I read the article and I really like this idea.  The only problem that I see is with Recovery powers - you would need some rule that prevents someone from using Inhuman or Supernatural Recovery to get a nearly-unlimited supply of free boosts to their rolls by taking consequences and healing from them right away.

Offline TheBiggs

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:24:53 PM »
Using Inhuman or Supernatural Recovery to get a nearly-unlimited supply of free boosts to their rolls by taking consequences and healing from them right away.
It's kind of what already happens with any magic users with Recovery powers. Not saying it isn't a problem, of course.

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
There already is a rule that armor granted by stunts/powers does not protect you from self-inflicted stress. Seems a simple step to expand that to recovery powers do not function against self-inflicted consequences.

Offline Flipside

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:10:52 AM »
Or... You could allow it!

Recovery powers are not unlimited. You can only take so many consequences before it starts piling on your track. Plus, it works narratively  - "Why yes, I can block the sword with my hand, look at it heal BEFORE YOUR VERY EYES!"

Maybe you can treat it as an aspect - tag once per scene, pay Fate points later?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 07:20:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure that adding this to recovery powers bothers me. Sure it makes recovery powers a bit more powerful, but when you take a lot of the spellcasting into account it's more like leveling the playing field.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 07:23:38 AM »
Disagree. Recovery is already powerful, this would take it a step too far in my eyes.

Spellcasting is also powerful, but not excessively so as long as you don't interpret the rules loosely.

Offline Flipside

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »
@Sanctaphrax - how would you propose to limit it, then, without removing this option outright?

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
@Sanctaphrax - how would you propose to limit it, then, without removing this option outright?

I'm not Sanctaphrax, but I'll try to answer.

I'd personally favor not being able to heal self-inflicted consequences, unless they weren't of free will (read: mind control).  However, if you were set on being able to heal it, a couple options:
*You can use your recovery abilities once per session or scenario in this manner rather than once per scene- I'd personally favor 1/scenario so self-inflicted consequences have more weight to them than the usual ones inflicted in combat- especially since there's a conscious choice involved, a big thing in DFRPG. (reminder, the breakdown is scene-session (gaming night)- scenario (story arc, usually including boss fight)- campaign (overarcing story, megaboss at the end).
*You can spend a fate point to activate this ability, provided you have a relevant aspect to invoke (ex:  PAIN IS IRRELEVANT aspect could handle physical/mental, and NO SHAME could handle social.)
*For self-inflicted consequences, the amount of damage you take is doubled (doesn't make a ton of sense mechanically, but it plays to the DFRPG's concept of choice and levels the playing field).

Some of these are more unbalanced than others, just a few thoughts.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
Here's what I'd do.

Harming yourself is a harrowing mental process as well.  Every time a player uses this option the inflict one mental stress upon them-self(I'm debating whether I should leave a fate point as an option too.)  This mental stress clears as if a minor mental consequence.

This affects everybody equally, but hurts recovery characters and mages the most.  I hear tell they were a little unbalanced anyway.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »
Ok, now that I really think about it I like it at inhuman, but it gets a little powerful at any higher level. I guess what you could do is simply give someone half of the effect. So mild gets you +1, moderate gets you +2, and severe gets you +3, but I don't really like that either because it makes it impractical without high level recovery powers...

More thought is necessary.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »
Just have anything self inflicted automatically meet the catch.  That keeps it reasonable.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
Just have anything self inflicted automatically meet the catch.  That keeps it reasonable.

This.  Especially for magic, if it's not an actual sacrifice, it shouldn't provide a benefit.