Author Topic: Just a question to clear something up  (Read 6135 times)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Just a question to clear something up
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:23:06 PM »
Here is the set up:
When a wizard casts an evocation attack he decides how much damage he wants the spell 'weapon to be, right?  So say he decides to put 7 shifts of power into it - making it an effective weapon:7 attack.  He can control that much due to ability and bonuses to specialization and focus items, so he only takes the one stress.  He then needs to make a discipline check to control and target with.  Let's say he has a +4 on his discipline and rolls +3 on the Fate dice, for a total of +7.  The target rolls not so good and only come up with a +3 total to defend against it.   
Here is the question:
If I understand the mechanics then the target takes the 7 stress from the weapon/spell and the 4 stress for the difference between attack and defense roll, for a total of 11 shifts of stress/damage the target would take.  Is that right?  I ask this because there was some debate about it in our last game, and I think I am right, that is the way I have always read the rules.  So let me know if I am really off base please.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Just a question to clear something up
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »
That is correct.

Compare result of Discipline roll to the result of the defense roll (whatever it is).
If Discipline roll is less than defense roll, no stress inflicted.
If Discipline roll is equal to defense roll, only spell damage is inflicted as stress (7 in your case).
If Discipline roll is greater than defense roll, then that difference + spell damage is inflicted as stress (7 + 4 = 11 in your case).
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
Ok, here's a side question (I should probably know the answer to):

If in those 7 shifts, he had spent 2 to make it into a Weapon: 5 zone effect, would everyone in that zone take 5+x stress theoretically (based on their individual defense rolls), or would it be split among those in said zone?  Pretty sure it's the former, want to be sure.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:07:46 PM »
If in those 7 shifts, he had spent 2 to make it into a Weapon: 5 zone effect, would everyone in that zone take 5+x stress theoretically (based on their individual defense rolls), or would it be split among those in said zone?  Pretty sure it's the former, want to be sure.

Normally, everyone in that zone rolls their own defense roll, then each result is compared to the result of the caster's Discipline check to determine damage, as above. You have it right.

Your second option sounds like a Spray Attack. Certain non-magic attacks, such as machine guns, allow the character to make Spray attacks: the attacker rolls their attack skill, and then splits the resulting shifts among the targets to determine success: then those targets roll defense, and if the attack is successful, take Weapon+excess shifts in Stress damage. This technique is the way to selectively attack people in a Zone, if you don't want to inadvertently damage your allies.

Making a Spray attack with a spell works a little differently: not only do you split the results of your Discipline check between all of the intended targets - you also split the shifts of damage among the targets. I believe your total Discipline check still determines the success of the spellcasting.

Note: all of these examples assume the caster's Discipline check was high enough to allow them to successfully cast that 7-shift spell in the first place.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
Ok, here's a side question (I should probably know the answer to):

It's the former. If the 2 shifts had not been spent to make it zone-wide, the weapon rating and Discipline Roll total would each have to separately be divided among however many targets you want to hit.

Edit: Devonapple beat me to it.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »
OK, that's what I thought and then I started questioning my thinking when confronted with it in our game.  Thanks guys.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 02:01:17 AM »
Here is the set up:
When a wizard casts an evocation attack he decides how much damage he wants the spell 'weapon to be, right?  So say he decides to put 7 shifts of power into it - making it an effective weapon:7 attack.  He can control that much due to ability and bonuses to specialization and focus items, so he only takes the one stress.  He then needs to make a discipline check to control and target with.  Let's say he has a +4 on his discipline and rolls +3 on the Fate dice, for a total of +7.  The target rolls not so good and only come up with a +3 total to defend against it.   
I agree with devonapple's answer.  Just to throw in a different twist, however, lets say that the spellflinger rolled only +0 on the dice, which means he had a net of +4 against the target's +3.  In this case, he still hits the target with one shift to spare, but he has failed to control the spell to the tune of three shifts (he needed to control 7 shifts of power, but only managed 4).

So now he has a choice.  He can either accept it as backlash, in which case he (the wizard) takes a 3 stress hit (physical or mental, player's choice), and the spell is considered fully controlled and resolved.  In this case, the target would get hit by the 'full' 8 shifts of damage (7 from the weapon rating of the spell, and 1 from the net shifts on the attack roll).  The other option is to go with fallout.  In this case, the weapon rating of the spell is reduced to the amount actually controlled (weapon 4) and the target gets hit with the resulting 5 shifts (the reduced weapon rating plus the net shifts on the attack roll).  The wizard doesn't take any additional stress (maybe), but the GM gets to choose what form the 3 shifts of fallout take.  If this was Dresden and the spell was a Fuego! spell, then the building would be on fire.

Not the question you asked, but it is a likely result for a discipline 4 wizard casting a power 7 spell, so I thought it worth mentioning...   ;)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »
Thanks, good to remember.

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 06:02:19 PM »
Can i make a weapon 0 attack doing only Discipline Shifts of damage?
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »
You'll need to assign at least one point of power to the effect - damage in this case.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 08:00:04 PM »
You'll need to assign at least one point of power to the effect - damage in this case.
Or you can do a special effect attack, with at least 1 shift dedicated to the effect, so only Discipline successes do stress.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:39:42 AM »
Is there a reason why you would WANT to inflict less stress?
edit: apart from silly houserules that mandate certain effects for high-stress attacks
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 06:41:24 AM by Tedronai »
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:02 PM »
Personally I could see the use in a sort-of "I can only control 8 shifts and I want to hit four zones" situation. It's an interesting question. I figure as long as there actually are shifts in the spell (I.E. shifts devoted to something other than damage) then that could work.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
Maneuvers are basically 0-shift attacks, from a certain point of view.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
...They are both contests, but from a mechanical standpoint they do have significant differences, especially in evocation.