Author Topic: Using Emotional Vampire and Incite Emotion  (Read 8281 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Using Emotional Vampire and Incite Emotion
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 03:27:23 AM »
Only spellcraft-generated maneuvers need define both power and duration.
If the WCV is placing sticky aspects, they will continue into subsequent rounds unless the target takes an action to remove them, which should be a perfectly acceptable scenario, tactically, for any WCV, as that means their target isn't using that action to, y'know, retaliate in any way.
And with a new sticky aspect each exchange, paying actually having to invoke them shouldn't be an issue unless the vamp is in a particular hurry (at which point they should have at least a few easily justifiable aspects beyond those you'd expect from any build).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 07:31:23 AM »
Now- I'm going to ask a semi-stupid question...
How many feeding aspects do you think the WCVamp can place here? I mean... really.
The semi-stupid part is "Duh. Infinite, limited only by the creativity of the player...." but I'm not so sure- at least, not in the crews I run with. It's considered bad form if not outright double-dipping to place 2 nearly identical aspects on a target. For example, if a teammate uses a sudden flare of light to leave a target "Blinded by the light," and then I throw sand in their eyes to leave them "Blind as a bat," my GM would smack me. And when I GM, I would smack any player who similarly tried that. Blind is a nearly binary trait- you either are or you aren't... you can't be extra-blind. (note, I said nearly. One can have severely hampered vision, but that's still not a lesser state of blindness).
(Best case scenario on that one, I'd allow the second maneuver to extend the duration of the first).
If that leaves you unsatisfied, now imagine that the next player in the order comes up with a knife and slashes the target's face, makes a phenomenal roll, and leaves the target with an extreme consequence aspect of "Eyeless." Have we reached the limit here, or can someone come along to make him even more blind?

That said, unless the WCVamp is one of those rare (indeed, unheard of in the books) ones that can feed off more than one emotion simultaneously (which you have to pay extra for in the mechanics, in which case I have no problem with the idea)... then you're running into that same problem- multiple aspects in this case are going to be layering the same emotion on top of itself...
There's something to be said for shoring that emotion up, making it more powerful... but that's more about it being harder to resist than it providing a better damage bonus... and even if you represent it with multiple aspects, there ought to be a limit to how much stacking can occur like this (specifically, identical or nearly identical aspect stacking) that might prevent the problem you're talking about.

Or you could simply rule that using Emotional Vampire is a tag of that aspect, and that way, even applying one every round, they can't gain their +2 without FPs.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »
Or you could simply rule that using Emotional Vampire is a tag of that aspect, and that way, even applying one every round, they can't gain their +2 without FPs.
This sounds very reasonable and fair. It makes sense because the original text mentions receiving +1 to subsequent feedings if the aspect remains, but does not even mention the possibility of a tag for +2. It might have been an oversight, but perhaps the creators wanted Emotional Vampire to use up an Aspect's tag if available, sort of like the Grapple rules, but a little more powerful.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
This sounds very reasonable and fair. It makes sense because the original text mentions receiving +1 to subsequent feedings if the aspect remains, but does not even mention the possibility of a tag for +2.

It doesn't need to mention that possibility, there, just as it doesn't need to mention it in the evocation attack section, because it's mentioned elsewhere, and not contradicted in Emotional Vampire.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough