Author Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 22451 times)

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »
And of course counterspelling is the only practical countermeasure against some magical effects.

Yep, like Orbius on one of your friends' faces.  Sorry, couldn't resist.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2011, 04:39:47 AM »
I was very tempted to derail this thread with a reply to that.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
I admire your restraint Sancta. I know that anybody mentioning that spell is nearly enough to make you froth at the mouth and stab things. ;p

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
And therein lies the fun.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2011, 10:29:18 AM »
New Question: Can a Ward be placed somewhere without a threshold, and what would be needed to do that?
Could it be done using an Enchanted Item?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »
New Question: Can a Ward be placed somewhere without a threshold, and what would be needed to do that?
Could it be done using an Enchanted Item?

Yes.  It's specifically mentioned that The Merlin did it while fighting the rampires.  YW277 says it limits their size to a doorway/intersection worth of warding.

It's thaumaturgy, so whatever sounds good.

Technically, yes.  It won't be much of a ward though and it would always be the exact same ward.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
Yes.  It's specifically mentioned that The Merlin did it while fighting the rampires.  YW277 says it limits their size to a doorway/intersection worth of warding.

It's thaumaturgy, so whatever sounds good.

Technically, yes.  It won't be much of a ward though and it would always be the exact same ward.

As a house rule I'd allow the size to grow at a cost of 2 complexity per zone.  It would be very costly to make something the same size as a regular house, but it could be done.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »
I usually say that a ward doesn't need a threshold but it does need a boundary. All of those things that Dresden talks about that we define as cutting off this thing from that thing. A fence, a river, a doorway, a street, etc.

That's just kinda my feeling on the matter though, I'm pretty sure RAW mentions a threshold. Keep in mind though that a threshold of 0 is still a threshold (so businesses, abandoned buildings, etc should be ok).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »
Your Story, page 277:

"Without a threshold they can only be set up to cover a small area at most - usually a point of transition such as a doorway or intersection."

The Merlin might merit some sort of power based off of Sponsored Magic, allowing Wards at Evocation speed without thresholds. Or perhaps the situation provided a natural chokepoint and a few minutes to cast a ritual. I dunno.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »
I usually say that a ward doesn't need a threshold but it does need a boundary. All of those things that Dresden talks about that we define as cutting off this thing from that thing. A fence, a river, a doorway, a street, etc.

That's just kinda my feeling on the matter though, I'm pretty sure RAW mentions a threshold. Keep in mind though that a threshold of 0 is still a threshold (so businesses, abandoned buildings, etc should be ok).
Boundaries are thresholds.  "In the broadest sense, the term "threshold" may be given to any metaphysical barrier...running water is a prime example...can even be conceptual*..."  YS230

So your feeling on the matters appears to be fully supported by the book.  :)

*Conceptual thresholds are an interesting case...could you ward one?  Some, like dawn, are undoubtedly too large.  But what of smaller conceptual borders?  Could you ward your property lines instead of your house walls?  What about others?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2011, 11:05:47 PM »
This got me thinking interesting thoughts. If boundaries are created by people's belief that it's a boundary can you ward conceptual boundaries? Can you ward the "Glass ceiling?" Or one's privacy? How about theological boundaries? Just a weird thought, not actually rules discussion. I have no idea how that would resolve mechanically. Ignore it as you like.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one that sent off on a conceptual tangent.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2011, 01:26:32 AM »
Boundaries are thresholds.  "In the broadest sense, the term "threshold" may be given to any metaphysical barrier...running water is a prime example...can even be conceptual*..."  YS230

So your feeling on the matters appears to be fully supported by the book.  :)

*Conceptual thresholds are an interesting case...could you ward one?  Some, like dawn, are undoubtedly too large.  But what of smaller conceptual borders?  Could you ward your property lines instead of your house walls?  What about others?

I warded my property line with chain link.  As near as I can tell though, cats are able to completely ignore wards if it suits them to.  Proper cats, mind you, not shapeshifters.

Seriously though, if you put up a fence with the intended purpose of keeping people out... it could absolutely count as a threshold for warding purposes.  Likely +0-2 ranging from picket to multiple rows of 12' electrified topped with razor wire.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2011, 01:32:17 AM »
Agreed, any barrier should count.  Even a knee high picket fence.  But what about just the property line without a fence?

I wonder a bit if Merlin's ward is best modeled by simply declaring a conceptual (mental) boundary and then using it for the ward.  Granted, I wouldn't think it easy enough for apprentices to get away with it...but it would explain how Merlin was able to set a ward where he did.  Going to have to read that book again...

Oh, and given Mister's easy movements I wonder if all cats can simply walk through wards.  :)
--

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2011, 02:45:42 AM »
Agreed, any barrier should count.  Even a knee high picket fence.  But what about just the property line without a fence?

I wonder a bit if Merlin's ward is best modeled by simply declaring a conceptual (mental) boundary and then using it for the ward.  Granted, I wouldn't think it easy enough for apprentices to get away with it...but it would explain how Merlin was able to set a ward where he did.  Going to have to read that book again...

Oh, and given Mister's easy movements I wonder if all cats can simply walk through wards.  :)

Harry's said you could make a circle entirely in your head (early in smf to murphy), it's just unnecessarily difficult and less reliable.  I imagine the same thing holds for wards.

Fair chance they can.  I mean if they can fail to see how you being dead is relevant, what's a little magic?