Author Topic: Redcaps and their iron boots  (Read 4341 times)

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Redcaps and their iron boots
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »
Yeah, they might just be really careful with their iron pikes and/or boots.  In Summer Knight the ogre Grum bends steel simply by covering his hand in a garbage bag, and the Za Lord's Guard all have steel box cutters and are presumably careful to only touch the plastic bits. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »
If even steel is enough to serve as faebane, what sort of metal are the Fae using in their normal weapons?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
If even steel is enough to serve as faebane, what sort of metal are the Fae using in their normal weapons?
The elite Hobbs in SF use bronze.  Other metals are usually described as "silvery." 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »
I imagined the boots to be muchlike normal ones, with a normal sole, and an additional iron sole nailed onto it (probably by Cobbs wearing really thick gloves). Really good for stomping on fae of an opposing faction, not so good for things like swimming.

Nasty things, those Redcaps. I like the cap IoP/Feeding Dependency idea, too.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 10:12:32 PM »
So the cap is an IoP that negates the Catch?

Great idea.  Wish I would have thought about it before introducing a horde of Red Caps last session.  Hmm.  Although I did claim that the Red Cap clan they were facing didn't have as fierce a reputation as one of the others.  Maybe that is what makes that other clan so bad ass?  An immunity to iron would certainly make them hated and reviled by the Courts and give them a powerful weapon with which to enhance their rep.

Either way I did connect Inhuman Strength and Speed to the caps themselves.  One of the wizards in my group used water magic to completely dry the hats out which enabled her to survive the encounter. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »
two thoughts...
1. they might just have iron on the outside of their shoe and wear thick socks

I'd just go with a version of this: boots lined with really thick fur or something. Just think about it: if the Redcaps had an IoP or something that gave them immunity to iron, it would not be an item so rare that it would only work for that individual, so a lot of Fae would hunt them down just for their IoPs.

No, I think it is a lot more likely that they are ballsy enough to wear such things, when other Fae would not. And then only in battle. I mean, you'd hardly, if ever, invite a Redcap to a formal occassion, but when you do (they have lords/Sidhe, no doubt) they definitely won't show up wearing iron boots :)

And even if iron is so anathema to them that it is like a nuke, think about this: even in our 'civilized' world, we've got countries like Iran and North Korea :) Redcaps could be the extremist-fundamentalists of the Fae world!

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
Redcaps could be the extremist-fundamentalists of the Fae world!

In my game they are pretty much like that.  No one likes them and everyone thinks they are the vermin of the Wyld Fae (although some Red Caps owe allegiance to Winter).  They are willing to kill anyone or anything and eat it.  And not necessarily in that order. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/