Author Topic: Question on Enchanted Items  (Read 1396 times)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Question on Enchanted Items
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »
Just want to be clear on the rules.  An enchanted item cannot boost skills or rolls can they, that would be a focus item right?  I want somethng that would boost my defensive magic vs outsiders, and I was looking at the example of Madges Ring in 'Your Story'.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Enchanted Items
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:43:44 PM »
That's a really hard question to answer. From a strictly rules view point, there are no rules stating that you can boost a roll without an aspect (and in that case only by +2 per aspect). However there is an enchanted item that actually does boost a skill roll (Rasheid's ointment), so it's a bit confusing.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:47:38 PM »
Bonuses to Discipline and Conviction for the sake of casting come from Focus items only.  Enchanted items can only duplicate spells.

Now, 'vs outsiders' is a rather unusual way of wording a focus item.  If your caster already has something in the way of evocation, why not have a focus item with a bonus to defensive magic with one of the elements you already use?  That'd be simpler and clearer under the rules.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:57:27 PM »
It was a family heirloom I started with and the GM kind of mentioned at the climax, on the fly, that it helped defend me against Outsider magic, just wondering how to actually stat it up.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
I don't know why this didn't make sense to me earlier. Magic rolls are exactly the kind of thing that focus items boost, and there are actually rules for narrowing a focus item to make it more effective. Check the focus item section, but you should totally be able to make a focus item that gives you a bonus to defensive magic vs. outsiders (possibly both power and control).

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:34:18 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I thought as much, but just wanted to check. 

Totally forgot about Rashid's ointment though, thanks for the reminder.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
In the text, if a focus item can only be used to augment a particular spell, it is treated as having an extra item slot worth of power.  So I suppose it is reasonable to give it a similar bonus for augmenting a spell versus a particular target.

So, "Outsiders bane +2 offensive power (whatever your favorite element is) +2 offensive control, only for attacking outsiders" would cost two item slots.

Alternatively, you could make a defensive spell which has an aspect requirement "only versus outsiders" and then an item that only boosts the power of that spell.