Author Topic: Playing an obvious non-human  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Escher

• Participant
    • View Profile
Playing an obvious non-human
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:13:28 AM »
Is it possible to play an obvious nonhuman in Dresden?  I mean, for example, Toot or a ghost -- or heck, Mouse?  Is there any way (or any need) to balance the fact that they more or less can't meaningfully interact with mundane humans without some major effort?  If they take Human Form or Glamours or some such thing, yeah, they could bypass that, but assuming that's outside the character concept, is this possible?  And how would I handle it?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Playing an obvious non-human
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »
Woah, are you saying Mouse can't meaningfully interact with mundane humans?  I think he does a pretty good job.  He's certainly more popular than Harry.

It's certainly a challenge, I'd admit, but there aren't any special abilities granted by the rules.  The most annoying thing is probably not being able to talk if you look like an animal.  If you don't, then you can get more meaningful interaction, since you can talk (you just have to set up a disguise right).

Hmm, one idea is use the fact you have to hide who you are as a compel against your High Concept.  That should get you a lot of Fate Points at least.

Overall, I think Mouse would be pretty fun, though it seems like a bit of a waste to have good deceit and rapport scores since you can't talk -- they've be great for manipulating people in the manner Mouse does.  Maybe Fate Points would be enough to bridge the gap there...I'm not sure.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:25:30 AM »
I don't see an issue mechanically, and for that matter the books even suggest Mouse and Toot as possible PCs. Obviously there would be some role-playing challenges, but people can handle those with a little experience. As far as difficulties interacting with others that would be a compellable aspect (likely their high concept) and maybe some low skills (social, weapons/guns, etc), though I could see mouse or toot having a high rapport (Aww).

Now I can see a really decent campaign for a team of dewdrop fairies like Toot.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:37:15 AM »
Mouse also had good deceit.  In Turn Coat he fakes the severity of an injury to teach Molly a lesson (it works).  Everyone buys it, including Harry who only changes his mind after he examines the wound.  There's a lot of stuff a dog could do with deceit really, such as faking an illness or whatever.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
I'm not certain if I have spoilers below, so be forewarned and if I should edit it, please let me know. Still getting a hang of the etiquette here.

As long as you make sure that the inhuman you want to be, isn't something without its own mind, you should be able to make it work. Normal ghosts don't have a real place, as they can't and/or don't meaningfully interact with the physical world.
(click to show/hide)
Though the Nightmare from Grave Peril was more powerful and interactive than a regular ghost, he could only perform within a set of parameters, then again, we don't know if Mavra somehow boosted him with her magic, or if he only became more free-willed after digging into Harry.

Toot, or any of the weaker Wild Fae, could possibly make a PC, as they aren't bound by any Court. Summer or Winter Fae, however, are simply too bound to their Courts to be playable. Even the Summer/Winter Knights, who have more freedom than faeries, can also be forced to act in accordance with the Queens' wishes.

If you want ghost-like powers, you could attribute them to a ritual gone horribly wrong, or a ghost-wizard melding with your body. A full ghost just isn't playable, IMHO.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
I've played characters like this several times in other games. Generally it's going to be a roleplaying experience more than anything. DFRPG isn't really going to hand you anything for being different, although you may find it easy and fun to use some rather unique Aspects.

The only caveat I would say is make sure the player and the GM are on the same page about how this would limit the character. If your player is thinking Mouse is brilliant and expressive and magical and all that business while the GM is mostly thinking he's just a dog with a really mean bite... Yeah. Bad juju.

Offline Escher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »
I think we're all on the same page here.  I know Mouse can interact to a certain degree, but only in broad strokes when it's to people who don't know how very, very smart he really is, and (as you said) Toot or some other faerie will be very limited without going to a lot of trouble.

The main thing I guess I was thinking of was the Living Dead creature feature, which has a major penalty associated with it (needing extreme means to repair consequences) and a pretty serious limitation (penalizing any interaction roll that isn't intimidate or deceit).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:10:26 PM by Escher »

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
You know, I forgot to mention that I had a friend who decided to play a full ghost character. Of course she had a story reason why she was a free willed creature and not simply an echo, and we had a city theme that had to do with the veil being thin. Mechanically it worked but it was really cool to see her play a character with little to no means of interacting with us (other than physically, she went for the whole poltergeist thing) or anyone else, but who clearly had a connection to the party. It created some really interesting situations.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 02:47:12 AM »
I'd just have the player make a normal character with an appropriate aspect, then compel that aspect whenever appropriate.

I don't think a custom power is necessary.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »
Is it possible to play an obvious nonhuman in Dresden?  I mean, for example, Toot or a ghost -- or heck, Mouse? 
Sure, it's possible.

Is there any way (or any need) to balance the fact that they more or less can't meaningfully interact with mundane humans without some major effort? 
Here's where you have to make a decision - you'll either have a very supernatural oriented campaign or you need to let the player know he'll be essentially cut out of the mundane sessions.  IMO, you and the group should sit down and decide what type of campaign you want.  I'd prefer to avoid character concepts which would take a character out of significant portions of play.

If they take Human Form or Glamours or some such thing, yeah, they could bypass that, but assuming that's outside the character concept, is this possible?  And how would I handle it?
One possible option is two associated characters - perhaps a clueless pure mortal and her guardian spirit.  Or something similar, just need a reason to have one involved in the supernatural and the other in the mundane.  I would charge for the meta-power to switch between the two characters.  Base the cost on modular abilities, beast change, or whatever is closest to the reasoning behind the switch.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline TitaniumMan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:32 AM »
DFRPG is actually my first exposure with Dresden and I play a non-human that...may or may not have a place in the books?  I dunno.  Never read 'em.  She's an Emissary of Power, a former human transformed into a six-armed spider mutant creature thing.  She still exhibits human traits and a personality, but is definitely monstorous.

Offline Hal

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Gateway to Darkness (My DF campaign)
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 02:57:27 AM »
Echoing what Umbralux said, it really depends on what kind of game the rest of the group wants to play.  Crazy non-human concept could work with other supernatural PCs in a supernatural setting, but if everyone else wants to do something more mundane, your concept is going to clash. 
My campaign, set in St. Louis:  <a href="http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/gateway-to-darkness">Gateway to Darkness</a>

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »
DFRPG is actually my first exposure with Dresden and I play a non-human that...may or may not have a place in the books?  I dunno.  Never read 'em.  She's an Emissary of Power, a former human transformed into a six-armed spider mutant creature thing.  She still exhibits human traits and a personality, but is definitely monstorous.

So, when do you enter play? When something needs squished or grappled? You can't exactly walk into a bar with them, having six arms and all... Or do you have a human form?

Offline TitaniumMan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »
So, when do you enter play? When something needs squished or grappled? You can't exactly walk into a bar with them, having six arms and all... Or do you have a human form?

She looks human enough that she can pass as one with heavy disguise and baggy clothing.  And there's places like a bar for supernaturals and a church that she's been able to enter despite her appearance.  Here's what she looks like as reference.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
Nice drawing! Yeah, I can understand how it will work with a trenchcoat or some such. When you said spider-mutant I thought about a seriously hideously mutated Spiderman :)
Kinda like this: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/264/b/5/Mutated_Spidey_by_soulmaninc.jpg