Author Topic: Developing a stunt: Draw Down  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Escher

• Participant
    • View Profile
Developing a stunt: Draw Down
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:13:19 PM »
Draw Down: You are trained in the use of a firearm as a deterrent. You take no penalty when drawing a pistol as a supplemental action, and you gain a +1 bonus to Guns rolls for Aiming at targets in your zone.

I came up with this mortal stunt the other day for my police officer, to reflect the "draw and cover" sort of move.  I'm curious to hear any comments on this.  The GM asked for some limitations from what it was originally, which is why the first part works only for pistols and the second works only against point-blank targets, so I'm particularly interested to hear whether you think it's good as written, or needs more or less restriction.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Developing a stunt: Draw Down
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »
Are you considering the second part to apply only to maneuvers or to all guns attacks?  If only maneuvers, then by the rules, this is a perfectly balanced stunt.  It's a little odd in that the two benefits don't feel that connected to me, but if it makes sense to you, go for it!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
Looks fine, assuming that Aiming refers to a type of maneuver.

I'd allow it without the restrictions, since you are boosting specific trappings.

Offline Escher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:46:59 AM »
Yes, I mean rolls to use the Aiming trapping of Guns.

The connection between the benefits is the idea of that move police do (maybe only on TV, hah) of pulling the gun and taking aim in one smooth motion -- drawing down on somebody but not opening fire.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:49:42 AM by Escher »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:06:07 PM »
Yes, I mean rolls to use the Aiming trapping of Guns.

The connection between the benefits is the idea of that move police do (maybe only on TV, hah) of pulling the gun and taking aim in one smooth motion -- drawing down on somebody but not opening fire.

I can say from experiences of those I know that it isn't a smooth motion, it just looks smooth.  It is very much a combination of steps.  If nothing else, police holsters aren't very good for "quick draw."  Still, doesn't make it not possible or a bad stunt.

From a mechanics standpoint, the stunt is solid.