Author Topic: Channelling:Spirit -mancer name?  (Read 4955 times)

Offline dmnsqrl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Channelling:Spirit -mancer name?
« on: June 25, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
Looking for a name for someone who does the 'subtle' version of Channelling:Spirit.... Kinetomancer seems to go with the 'brute force' version... but I haven't really seen what term people might use for the 'subtle' version

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Channelling:Spirit -mancer name?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »
"Pneuma-mancy" and "psykhe-mancy" would be the direct (if bastardized) Greek tanslations.  Pneuma for breath / motile air / spirit and psykhe for soul.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Llayne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »
Since Harry does veils and emits light from his pentacle with spirit, I always see spirit being tied to Photomancy. Even if the books says it's usually fire/photomancy.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
Animancer

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
You could simply call it telekinesis, moving objects with your will.

If you wan a -mancy option, poltermancy comes to mind, doing poltergeist effects with magic. Or even by actually using a friendly spirit.

Edit: after some research (looking through an online translater that is), I found 2 other descriptions that might fit better.
Movomancer and Momentomancer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:20:43 PM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »
Looking for a name for someone who does the 'subtle' version of Channelling:Spirit.... Kinetomancer seems to go with the 'brute force' version... but I haven't really seen what term people might use for the 'subtle' version
Subtle arts practitioner/master :)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 02:50:26 AM »
"Pneuma-mancy" and "psykhe-mancy" would be the direct (if bastardized) Greek tanslations.  Pneuma for breath / motile air / spirit and psykhe for soul.

Yes.

Though I think it would probably be formed "pneumatomancy", and we already have "psychomancy" for mind magic specifically.

Offline dmnsqrl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 03:29:28 AM »
Subtle arts practitioner/master :)

:)   Much resonance with this response :)

I've been reading everything and .... while I'm thinking more and more I might actually not end up associating a 'mancy' term with the character I'm thinking of after all, everything that has been said so far has been really helping me flesh out my thinking on the whole Spirit Evocation thing and has been very helpful :)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 03:41:26 AM »
I've been searching some more, and it turns out, the "mancy" prefix is actually derived from the greek word for "divination". I know it is typical to name them like that, and since I never knew what exactly it meant, I was fine with it. But now... I'm not so sure, there might be better words.

But that helps me where I was stuck on getting the -mancers translated to German. I am not going to go with a mancer or divination translation, but simply "Flammenwirker" for a Pyromancer, which I would translate back as "Firecaster".

Offline dmnsqrl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 03:55:47 AM »
I've been searching some more, and it turns out, the "mancy" prefix is actually derived from the greek word for "divination". I know it is typical to name them like that, and since I never knew what exactly it meant, I was fine with it. But now... I'm not so sure, there might be better words.

But that helps me where I was stuck on getting the -mancers translated to German. I am not going to go with a mancer or divination translation, but simply "Flammenwirker" for a Pyromancer, which I would translate back as "Firecaster".

Huh, very kewl point..... do you think it would be fair to call someone with Channelling: Spirit a 'will-weaver'?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 04:12:07 AM »
Huh, very kewl point..... do you think it would be fair to call someone with Channelling: Spirit a 'will-weaver'?

I'd say not.  All magic is about will.  The kinetomancer is as will-oriented as the pyromancer which is as will-oriented as someone focusing on veils.

Honestly, I think Llayne hit the nail on the head with photomancer.  A lot of what someone like that is doing is manipulating light.  Though if you want something that sounds more mystical, auromancer will work in a pinch.

Offline dmnsqrl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 04:49:58 AM »
I'd say not.  All magic is about will.  The kinetomancer is as will-oriented as the pyromancer which is as will-oriented as someone focusing on veils.

Honestly, I think Llayne hit the nail on the head with photomancer.  A lot of what someone like that is doing is manipulating light.  Though if you want something that sounds more mystical, auromancer will work in a pinch.

something relating to the idea of 'auras' does seem more.... spirity

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »

I would just call him a "Spirit Weaver". It does convey that he is using his power rather delicate instead of just using blunt force. Something like "Forceslinger" would be more appropriate for that, though I think the word is a bit of, there might be a better solution.

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 12:32:02 AM »
"Esper".

Offline dmnsqrl

• Lurker
    • View Profile