Author Topic: Teamwork rule question  (Read 1683 times)

Offline chiborg

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Teamwork rule question
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
Imagine the following conflict: Four gang members with baseball bats against a werewolf with superhuman speed and toughness and +4 athletics skill. Each gang member attacking on its own will hardly scratch the werewolf. But if the teamwork rule comes into play, the main attacker will get a +6 on his attack roll if his team is successful. But how is the success of the other members determined? If it's an opposed roll, it's back to square 1 because the werewolf will shrug off each maneuver. I'd rather do an unopposed roll for each gang member against a difficulty of +4 (+3 for the maneuver, +1 for the speed bonus of the werewolf). What do you think?

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Teamwork rule question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
I'd do it (without requiring any special rules) to have on team member put a block on the werewolves actions, two team members manoeuvre and give the aspects to the forth team member who does the actual attacking.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
Usually a Maneuver granting the "Assisted by [insert name]" Aspect is 1-2 shifts lower than the roll the main character will be making. Mind you, this is mostly for helping with challenges that have a static difficulty, and not an opposed roll.

You could also borrow the Minion rules from Spirit of the Century and have each additional team member add a +1 and an extra stress box or something like that.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
If it's an opposed roll, it's back to square 1 because the werewolf will shrug off each maneuver. I'd rather do an unopposed roll for each gang member against a difficulty of +4 (+3 for the maneuver, +1 for the speed bonus of the werewolf). What do you think?
Not all maneuvers need be opposed rolls.  A simple one might set up a "Coordinated Attack" or "Working in Concert" aspect.  Another could be setting a scenery aspect.  Better yet, some of those work as Declarations so the may well attack as well. 

Just need to look at the bigger picture - sometimes asking "How can I make this group more effective" is better than "How can I make this opponent less effective".  Both accomplish the same ends but the second is opposed while the first isn't.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
Yeah, I'd focus on "buffing" the main attacker as opposed to trying to maneuver the werewolf.  It's way easier to set up aspects on a willing target.

Offline AlexFallad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
Usually a Maneuver granting the "Assisted by [insert name]" Aspect is 1-2 shifts lower than the roll the main character will be making. Mind you, this is mostly for helping with challenges that have a static difficulty, and not an opposed roll.

To save die rolling, maybe set the difficulty at three for the manuever (Werewolf's Athletics of 4 minus 1) so just the attacker is rolling.  Maybe even allow the werewolf to invoke appropriately to increase the difficulty?

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »
Keep in mind the rule of excess successes.  If the werewolf has a maneuver against it of Good (+3) strength, and the werewolf gets a +7 to remove it, it should be able to apply the remaining 4 shifts to remove a different maneuver against it.