Author Topic: Real world monsters  (Read 3043 times)

Offline arsieiuni

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Real world monsters
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 05:42:33 AM »
"In some parts of the country, babies killed as part of witchcraft rituals are believed to make the charms more powerful, he says." (quote from OP's link)

Watch National Geographic Taboo, episodes on Witchcraft, Healing, Voodoo, Tests of Faith, and Evil Spirits. (can be found on Netflix)

Every culture has its limits on what is okay and what is taboo. I really have to wonder about the perspective that those who do these things have. It's fascinating on the anthropology level.

Anyway... One thing I'd say is : In any game, it's important to know your players' comfort levels. Before you start the first session, ask everyone as a group to let you know if they have any content-limits. I make it a point to say "Even if you think it would be a given, let me know if there is a line that if crossed in the campaign, you would be uncomfortable playing."
Then give an opportunity for them to tell you in private so if anyone is embarrassed they can do so. Or ask them all to write down their answer.

I have a few topics to avoid due to my group. I avoid rape and similar issues, certain social situations that I just won't put my players in, and heavy death/loss of family concepts (the latter being my own personal limitation). These are some things that just make the game table too uncomfortable for us to be happy.

On the other hand, I have an interesting group. And at my last session, much to my surprise, one female character ended up giving a teenage male character his first "sexual type encounter" and the players comfortably detailed the scene at the table verbally... gesturing occassionally. lol (Now this was a well-played scene between an awkward, self-conscious teenage boy and a very socially adept and open-minded low-twenties changeling woman who had befriended him recently. This was not outright verbal smut lol. It was really well played and it set some very important changes in the characters. It was also playing to the changeling's aspect "Enjoy life".) I was surprised at how comfortable my players were with this content... then I reminded myself we're in our mid-to-late twenties and not kids anymore. We can cover adult content. As long as everyone's having fun, it's all good. I honestly just felt like 'Damn, wish I had a bowl of popcorn for this.' :)

So just make sure to know your players' limits and you should be fine.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Real world monsters
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 06:37:26 AM »
Another was cornering a possessed NPC they were tracking down on the top of a multi-story carpark and the guy in a state of confusion and fear threatening to jump. Which is how I discovered a friend had previously tried to kill themselves in a very similar way. We stoped that game, and the following week rewound it to the point they started tracking him down and went in a different direction.

I was about to say that there wasn't anything that I would be uncomfortable with and then you brought this up. Personal experience can really make for some raw issues. It helps to have known your players for a long time. I have a group I have been playing with for maybe fifteen or twenty years and I'm pretty sure that I know what they're all ok with. When I game with others though I definitely make sure that I'm gentle with them.