Author Topic: Refinement Question  (Read 4104 times)

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Refinement Question
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
One more thing that Focus Items can do that Specialization Bonuses cannot:

Focus Item-Bonuses can be changed.
Once you buy a specialization bonus it's fixed. Not so a Focus item... it can be changed at certain milestones.

I do agree that's the by-the-book way it's done, but I feel like that goes against every other part of the system where players are allowed to tweak their character over time. Skills, Aspects, Stunts, even Powers (I think) can be added and removed or reconfigured at appropriate plot points and milestones.  It makes no sense to me that specializations would be the one exception.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »
Yeah, I would probably count the specializations as kind of like a skill.  So at milestones when you would normally be allowed to swap two skills in your skill pyramid, you could choose to swap two specializations instead.  Not by the book, but I think it's reasonable and in-line with the design philosophy of the game.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 06:39:41 AM »
Keep in mind you can also make specialized foci.

A foci that can only be used for a specific spell gets a +1 bonus.  You might have a house rule that a foci that is only usable once a session is also more efficient.

Enchanted items are really only effective if you have a high Lore.  If you have only a 3 lore, your enchanted items won't be that great.

You could have a warrior wizard:
5 conviction, 5 discipline
4 weapon, 4 athletics
3 lore, 3 endurance

They have their warden sword, a refinement in Evocation for a total of +1 power +2 control in their main element, and put 2 item slots into +2 power +2 control, only for 1 rote spell.

That is a nice healthy 7 power spell they can cast on the move.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
The +2 bonus thing when used for a specific spell is pretty key for things like Block spells.  If you're throwing up a shield, you can get +1 to both Defensive Control and Defensive Power (it says it works as if you had a free slot).  Not bad for one focus item slot. 

Basically, though, the difference between specializations and focus items is a difference between versatility and power.  You can get more power from FI, but Specs are more versatile.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 01:51:56 AM »
A foci that can only be used for a specific spell gets a +1 bonus.  You might have a house rule that a foci that is only usable once a session is also more efficient.
Personally, I've thought about bumping up the specific spell bonus to a +2, just because I haven't really seen people make a whole lot of use out of it.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 02:50:02 AM »
Personally, I've thought about bumping up the specific spell bonus to a +2, just because I haven't really seen people make a whole lot of use out of it.

I see it used for bread and butter attack and shield spells.  Not necessarily for Rotes (a +2 control bonus probably means you don't need a rote) when it comes to attacks, but definitely when it comes to defense (that first round shield spell that you want to pump as much in as possible and then persist).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 03:11:32 AM »
I wouldn't want to see the bonus increased for specific-spell foci. But I would like to see it scale better. As-is, you'd really only want to take it for small foci.

Also, a touch more versatility wouldn't hurt. If such foci could benefit a spell when it's cast at multiple different power levels, it probably wouldn't hurt the game.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
How would you do a foci that can only be used once a session?

Would you just double the bonus, like you half the bonus to get an always up enchanted item?

So you could have a +4 power, +4 control, only for one spell, once per session, for 2 item slots.
Or maybe +2 defensive power spirit, +2 defensive control spirit, once per session

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »

Would you just double the bonus, like you half the bonus to get an always up enchanted item?

So you could have a +4 power, +4 control, only for one spell, once per session, for 2 item slots.
Or maybe +2 defensive power spirit, +2 defensive control spirit, once per session

Just a quick note, there is no surcharge for "always on" enchanted items. It works when it's needed, and every use beyond the amount invested costs 1 mental stress.

That rule was changed from the original PDF to the updated PDF.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 01:19:54 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't.  I don't think it is thematically appropriate.