Author Topic: Armor as Items of Power?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Armor as Items of Power?
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »
Hello all,

I was just wondering whether any of you consider Armor as an item of power, out of line or completely legitimate?

I was thinking that it would be reasonable, and could be extremely useful if you put the Human Guise power on it, as this would keep mortals from being to freaked out, but would definitely supernaturals on edge as they would probably be able to tell you came ready to throw down?

I would also like to know what you would consider a reasonable amount of armor value for an item of power?  Should it be armor 3, like the swords of the cross, or armor 2?

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Armor as Items of Power?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »
In general it should be an armor value appropriate to whatever type of armor it is (as per the "It is what it is" IoP feature).  So a bullet proof vest might be Armor: 1 or 2, a suit of plate more like Armor: 3.  It's completely legitimate (and yes, others have specked them out on this site, do a search and you'll find some interesting examples).  So far as the Human Guise thing....I"m not sure I'd allow that personally but that's between you and your GM.  My personal problem with it is that an IoP should in general be recognizable as such against people you're fighting (just my opinion).  If I were going to make an invisible armor type thing though, personally I would build it as having Glamours rather than Human Guise just because I think that's more thematically appropriate.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
An IOP that is a suit of armor would be capable of what that piece of armor is normally able to do. An armor vest IOP that is itself Armor 1 against penetrating trauma could be layered or worn with other armour to broaden protection to other types of damage. It could be also be worn under normal clothing if its mundane version could be worn so.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »
I don't think Human Guise works that way by the RAW. However, I'd allow it to do so if a player asked.

And IoP armour should work just like excellent quality normal armour of the same type unless refresh is spent on improving it.

In other words, what they said.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. . .

I am not talking about invisible armor, I was thinking of something that as soon as the armor was used IE you would take physical stress or you use any of the powers that the armor gives you, it would suddenly look like the armor in question.  I would think this would be similar to the armor, in the live action Witch Blade TV series, (Much better than you would expect). 

Hmmm... That could be a good write up as well. 

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »
While I would be willing to allow armor (and many other things) as an item of power, it's worth pointing out the IoP discount seems largely based on how inconvenient carrying the item becomes.  So powers such as Human Guise end up being more expensive - they'd also reduce the item discount.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »
This seems like overkill, but a low-powered Veil might be enough to justify the armor's initial "invisibility," and then the Veil could be broken by an opponent perceiving that something strong had protected the bearer, which would make the armor more apparent.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:25:43 PM »
Human Form would be inappropriate, I think. If I'm understanding correctly, you want the armour to show itself when it first negates damage. If you gave it Human Form (or another like refresh-break), it wouldn't be armour until you took an action to turn it into a piece of armour.

If there are no game effect--it just looks different until used--than that sounds like a [-0] cost. It's akin to Wizard's Constitution. It has no immediate benefits, it's more "flavour."

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:51:29 PM »
Human Form would be inappropriate, I think. If I'm understanding correctly, you want the armour to show itself when it first negates damage. If you gave it Human Form (or another like refresh-break), it wouldn't be armour until you took an action to turn it into a piece of armour.

If there are no game effect--it just looks different until used--than that sounds like a [-0] cost. It's akin to Wizard's Constitution. It has no immediate benefits, it's more "flavour."

-EF

That is why, I said Human Guise that is the power intended for stuff like ghouls, its in Your Story, on page 176.  I have been thinking that this might be a little overpowered on armor, since it ends up being free, perhaps having a surcharge of -1, instead of 0 would be more appropriate?

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »
I would allow Human Guise as a [-0] cost power, however, I would only allow the IoP discount to be [-1] because it is concealable (to get [-2] it needs to be obvious).

What do you want this armor to do besides have an Armor rating? Is it going to grant Inhuman Toughness or something like that?

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
Well the character, I had in mind was going to be a Thaumaturge, who wears the armor when going into dangerous areas, or during a session after the players are attacked. 

8 enchanted item slots, probably rings with 3 attack spells, 2 defensive spells, and 3 utility spells. 

Inhuman Stoicism, which makes the enchanted items more efficient as you then get extra mental stress boxes. 
-Catch: Mortal Magic, it just seems this would be appropriate because of how little mental magic training is done, since it's against the Laws. 

True Strike, with enchanted items this is just one of those things you end up needing because enchanted items are not as accurate as Evocation. 

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
Well the character, I had in mind was going to be a Thaumaturge, who wears the armor when going into dangerous areas, or during a session after the players are attacked. 

8 enchanted item slots, probably rings with 3 attack spells, 2 defensive spells, and 3 utility spells. 

Inhuman Stoicism, which makes the enchanted items more efficient as you then get extra mental stress boxes. 
-Catch: Mortal Magic, it just seems this would be appropriate because of how little mental magic training is done, since it's against the Laws. 

True Strike, with enchanted items this is just one of those things you end up needing because enchanted items are not as accurate as Evocation. 

I think you may be confusing 'Item of Power' with 'Enchanted Item'.  Make sure you've read the rules on both and know the difference.  True Strike is a specific power of the Swords of the Cross (I think), not something you can add to an Enchanted Item.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 02:48:11 AM »
Instead of buying the item as armor then adding invisibility that breaks on use, you might consider the opposite approach: a pure magical defense with a special effect when struck that looks like armor (or a force field, or whatever you like).

Offline riff.freelance

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
My only issue here is IoP are unbreakable. This just makes IoP armor seem really munchkin-y. My two cents.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 10:35:46 PM »
The Armor may be unbreakable; but if it's something like chainmail, the person wearing it isn't.

Say our Item of Power Chainmail is Armor:2, and bestows Inhuman Toughness (we won't worry about the catch for a moment).  That gives our wearer Armor:3.  Unfortunately, the nasty warlock the group is fighting throws a Earth evocation that results in a Stress 9 hit.  The armor is fine; the wearer has to deal with a 6-Stress hit.  Time for consequences...
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.