Author Topic: Crafting Foci Items  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Chip

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Crafting Foci Items
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
Hi been meaning to join for a while but I never got round to it till now, but I need some advice, I've started running a game in Hull in the UK, and well one of my players is playing a Sorcerer and I didn't notice he's not taken his foci items, but now he wants to craft them in game, I've tried looking on these forums but I can't find the help I'm looking for (probably through my own skimming not being very good).

I know crafting is a thaumaturgy based feature, so I'm trying to figure out, what is the complexity of a basic +1 offensive control focus item is, I've tried reading the books and they don't seem to say or i've missed it, so could someone give me a word of advice or point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your time.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Crafting Foci Items
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 05:24:04 PM »
You don't need to roll or perform rituals to create Focus Items. Those are assumed to be crafted off screen. Even Enchanted Items don't need screen time to create (if they are using a character's focus item slots). Potions *can* be made up on the fly (check the Potions section for more), but that is handled more as a retroactive ritual declaration than an in-game ritual.

If someone is Crafting an item which isn't part of their Focus Item allotment, then it becomes a Thamuaturgy ritual, and that requires the GM to cooperate with the player to set the difficulty, results, etc.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Chip

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:57:27 PM »
Okay, thank you for the answer.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:18:32 PM »
Just to add something:
You don't need Thamuaturgy to make a focus item.  It's assumed that you can make one by focusing your magic somehow, usually over weeks or months (taking until you hit the next "rearrange your focus items" milestone").

So if a PC just has Evocation, Channeling, Rituals (non-crafting), or sponsored magic he still gets his focus items and can replace them normally even though he can't cast a Thamuaturgy rite to make them.

Richard