Author Topic: Golems  (Read 3416 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Golems
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 12:38:30 AM »
Sorry what I meant was I would require some incrediable resource rolls considering Adamantium and Mithril don't exist and therefor the only way I could think to get the metal would be to magic it up some how (alchemie perhaps)

I think those names are being used to refer to the original D&D versions: these writeups mention the more plausible "titanium alloy" and "tungsten alloy."

I would definitely not want any conjured or Fae metal if a golem is expected to survive contact with thresholds.

Although I am going back on my stance that the materials cost should be folded into the summoning cost. I am beginning to reflect that a 30-shift demon and a 30-shift golem shouldn't necessarily be the same thing when it comes to surviving contact with thresholds.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 01:25:44 AM »
Since we are talking ritual magic, one could easily roll resources for a taggable aspect to boost the spell complexity, indicating the right materials being actually bought and used instead of conjured.

OTOH, you could treat it like Necromancy; necromancers need to find the right bodies that will hold the amount of power they are channeling into them. So an artificer would need to find the right materials.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »
Since we are talking ritual magic, one could easily roll resources for a taggable aspect to boost the spell complexity, indicating the right materials being actually bought and used instead of conjured.

OTOH, you could treat it like Necromancy; necromancers need to find the right bodies that will hold the amount of power they are channeling into them. So an artificer would need to find the right materials.

Ultimately it all comes down to spending shifts. Where the come from is more about narrative.

One could either charge a premium for Immunity/Block against Thresholds, folded into the Summoning Ritual, or insist on an extended challenge involving Resources/Craftsmanship/etc. to create the vessel.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 06:48:44 PM »
I'd call it a mandatory aspect. Like any other thaumaturgy preparation Resources declaration, only you don't get to choose whether or not to make it. If you fail or don't want to try the roll, you can take an ECTOPLASMIC defect that will get compelled when running water or a threshold shows up.

Non-pyramid-based complexity:

Clay 15
Stone 20
Iron 25
Mithril 32
Adamantium 46

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »
Yeah, that's more in line with the power of most golems. If you compare, for example, a lesser zombie with a clay golem, you see that the zombie has inhuman speed/strength/toughness plus living dead. It is more combat-effective than the golem by a fair margin. And if you compare the golem with a ghoul, the difference is even greater.

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 06:50:24 PM »
Might even want to remove the anti-tank weapons from the catches.  It's not like they have soft gooey centers, unless ofcourse you are dealing with a pudding golem. 

Can also see at least a inhuman, if not supernatural, recovery power on a clay golem.  The catch ofcourse being the rune (fire could possibly work also).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
It occurs to me that Automaton could allow a character to bypass the skill pyramid. Given its drawbacks, I think it'd be both reasonable and thematic.

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 03:11:16 AM »
I am beginning to reflect that a 30-shift demon and a 30-shift golem shouldn't necessarily be the same thing when it comes to surviving contact with thresholds.  -  devonapple
Given that golems are classically created with holy power, might they entirely immune to certain thresholds?