Author Topic: New Power Idea?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
New Power Idea?
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:55:13 AM »
Hello all,

After reading some of the posts on my shotgun parrying thread, I was also thinking that a new power could be great something that could be used to deal with the irritation, I feel and many others feel towards the Claws, and Breath Weapon powers being so narrowly written. 

Please provide any advice or suggested changes to the power, if you find them warranted, or if I wrote something confusing. 

Cost: (Variable, the base damage of the weapon, usually 3.)
Name: Always Armed
Description: You have the innate ability to summon or banish a copy of any weapon forged by man into your hands. 
Skills Affected: Weaponry, Guns
Effects: As a supplemental action, This power summons a high quality weapon of some type into your hands, it may be changed whenever you wish or banished back to wherever it comes from.  The weapon comes loaded if it is a gun of some type. 
Upgrades:
-1: The weapon may be summoned reflexively as a free action, if you are not expecting combat, or if you need a different type of weapon.
-1: The weapon may be split into 2 separate weapons, each of no higher cost than the base cost of this power.
-1: When you summon the weapon it may come with a sticky aspect chosen at that time, that may be tagged once for free.  This is usually something like silver ammunition, or forged of cold iron. 
+1: If limited to a single weapon or gun.  Such as Shotguns, or Pistols. 
Special: This power explicitly is allowed to perform maneuvers, or spray attacks if the type of weapon makes sense, or if a stunt would modify the weapon to be able to perform that action. 

Personal Notes:
-Circles: I doubt the attacks of this power could harm something on the other side of a Circle?  It probably would also be turned back into harmless ectoplasm if you become trapped in a circle?

-Thresholds: Same thing as a circle so probably the same effect, and would make an interesting and surprising weakness if your human with this power tries to storm someones home. 

-Might get around a few catches just by being not forged by mortal hands. . .

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: New Power Idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »
In my opinion, that does not really need a power. Like the passage about summoning a sword: if you need a sword, you bring a sword.

I think Claws and Breath Weapon cover this pretty good, if you want to have mystic weapons. Even if others may have different opinions.

I would simply apply "Always Armed" as an aspect to the character, and if you didn't specify before entering a scene, that you brought a weapon, you can invoke this for effect and have anything at hand. I don't really see the need to make this a power, because this would fit a pure mortal so much better, and you get more Fate points to invoke this.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »
You could always make a magic item that conjured a weapon.  Any Thaumaturgy enchanted item slot could be used to summon a sword - I think the difficulty of that is only three so practically any caster could have one.

Call it:
Joey's Sword Ring
Enchanted Item: Complexity 3 spell used
A paranoid wizard, Joey never wants to be unarmed.  Once a day this item will conjure a normal sword.  Each addition activation cost (as always) one mental stress.

Perfect for smuggling that sword past security and looking unarmed until you need your weapon.

Richard

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
Haru has a good point in taking the Aspect "Always Armed" instead for all of those reasons listed above.

Personally, I have some objections to having a power that gives you a multiple-use projectile weapon that can be used as an improvised melee weapon that can be used for spray attacks. Something about that combo just seems off, ya know? Also, being able to summon ANY weapon just seems a bit overpowered, as someone could dump in the points and summon a heavy weapon (like a cannon, machine gun, grenade launcher. . .), banish it when it runs out of ammo, and summon it all over again.

I personally do think it would have the same problems as a conjured item/entity regarding thresholds, circles and dispelling. These downfalls don't really weigh against the huge benefits, but that is just my opinion.

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »
Honestly what I would do is reduce the cost to 1 and then limit the weapon value to 2, with maybe a possible upgrade for that. The only thing this power does (if it has no upgrades) is allow you to be armed with weapons that anyone else can get at all times (I.E. after being disarmed or searched). That's the only difference game wise and I just don't see that being worth much refresh.

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
Honestly? I think it's a little too complicated. I'd possibly do this just by making a simple addition to Breath Weapon. Human Form, Breath Weapon and a one refresh upgrade to breath weapon that makes it Weapon:3, rolled with the guns skill, and possibly hand-wave ammo. This combined with the aspect 'always armed' would cover it.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
Haru has a good point in taking the Aspect "Always Armed" instead for all of those reasons listed above.

Powers are for when you wish to make sure you have what you want at all times.  Not just when you've plenty of Fate points to spare.

Honestly I'd grab "Have a Thing" from Diaspora to represent the character always has some access to a piece of mundane equipment.  Or atleast he's got as much access as a Wizard does his Focus Items.

For an integral power.  Hmmm, I'm not against tying it to a skill roll for you to pull your Gun or Melee weapon out of [Trigger Warning=TV Tropes Link] Hammer Space.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
For 2 refresh you can get a melee attack/maneuver/block at your skill+2 that does 2 mental stress, ignoring most armor/toughness.
For the same 2 refresh, you can get a ranged attack at your skill that does 2 physical stress.

In short, paying more than 1 refresh to be able to carry along mundane weaponry is too costly.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »
Sorry I went to sleep, and suddenly got a barrage of posts here. . .

Haru, Claws and Breath Weapon don't follow the rules for weapons to their detriment, so I was trying to make something that did. 

Richard_Chilton, that is a great idea as well and frankly I might steal it. 

Crion, Well if they spend those points here, that means they don't spend it on baseballs and supernatural strength, whats wrong with that?  4 stress ranged weapon that would ignore circles and thresholds if your wondering. 

Sinker, your right about it being expensive but it would still work better than Claws, and Breath Weapon. 

Gatts, my issues with that is then strength powers don't work, (been argued to death.) and you still couldn't parry with the breath weapon power (also been argued to death). 

Evileeyore, OK your right that does look good, and Sanctaphrax did it.  Its under Hyperspace Arsenal.  That solved all of the issues right there. . .

Belial666, What power is that, Incite Emotion?