Author Topic: Character Names  (Read 6029 times)

Offline Sean 'Bjørn' Blackstone

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
Character Names
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
so, I got a nifty little story base, and I kind of know where I wanna go with it. but, how I start everything is to create my character, who he is and what he is, ya know? so I have a few, and any suggestions would be great.

Morgan Warr
Evan Warr
Noah Warr
Nathaniel Warr
Markos Warr
Raphael Warr
Thomas War
"This stuff right here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Character Names
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:27:33 AM »
I think character names are more important to some writers than others but if it's important to you, you need to consider a few things:

What do you want the name to do? Do you want it to contrast reality? ( I love Harlan Coben's macho main character named Myron.) Do you want it to remind people of someone famous? (Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden who is named after three famous stage magicians.) or infamous? (I love John Wayne Cleaver's name in "I Am Not a Serial Killer" and how he feels he was named after two serial killers and an insturment of murder.) Some names have internal importance within the story even though it may mean nothing outside the story world. There can be family names or simply names that have a nice phonetic sound. Some names can imply nationality either real or within the story world.

To try to tell you what name works with no idea of who the character is or what you want the name to say about him or her is not something I would be able to do.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 02:58:33 AM »
Well I definitely want the last name to be Warr. His name has to reflect him, in a way. A famous first name might be cool, I just cant think where to go with that.
"This stuff right here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 05:47:45 AM »
Does this story take place in our world?
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 05:55:15 AM »
yupp. in North America, just haven't quite decided exact location.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
Maybe have him be of a non-cauc ethnicity and have a name that means "war", just in another language, like "Guerra"?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:02:24 PM »
you may have something there.....(runs to google)

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »
So heres what Im lookin at now

Last names:

Marcello
Marcus
Martin
Kimball
Callan
Kane
Thane
Ramm
and Warr, of course.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:13:23 AM by Sean 'Bjørn' Blackstone »

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »
Kane has a nice ring to it depending on what you are trying to say about your character. It has ties both to the first murderer and to a Robert E Howard character.

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 01:13:02 AM »
well, it also means "battle", but, its kinda dissuading knowing its already been used.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 01:33:49 PM »
So far we know you want a war theme on the Name, and the dude is in north america (presumable modern time?)  Anything more you can tell us about him?  Or more accurately, anything more about him you want the name to tell?  Ethnicity, social standing, personality, etc?

As far as the ones you've listed:
Marcello->Has an Old World/Old Family/Old Money type of feel to it.  Or a stereotype mafia, depending on the setting.
Marcus-> Too generic for a last name insofar as the war theme.  Solid First Name.
Martin-> Same as Marcus
Kimball-> Opened you up for lots of Fugitive one armed man jokes, fair warning.
Callan->  Solid feeling. Not much immediate war vibe, or any other huge bias that I can think of.  Vaguely makes me think of Hilghlander villains for some reason...
Kane->  Strong, but with the chaotic dark/haunted wanderer spin
Thane-> Similar to Kane, but with a more Law/Order feel.  Has a historically feudal Scottish link (Personal favorite)
Ramm->  Gold, strong totemic name, without some of the cultural baggage of others.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline arcanist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »
How about Ares.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
Always liked "Warren Peace" as a campy, comic book type name, but its from that cheesy kurt russel flick Sky High
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »
Idk, im kinda stuck. I guess he's your average hero type. hes white, not very social, but hes very loyal to the people he does know, he chalk full of balls-to-the-wall bravery. very reckless, around 24, but he's short, like 5'8" or 5'9". not ripped, but not lean. def. in modern time.
but he's a fighter, always ready to brawl. great with guns, not too shabby with a sword. no special abilities (at least nothing over the top).

I thought about Ares....ijdk, it seemed a little too much.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:19:53 AM by Sean 'Bjørn' Blackstone »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 01:06:54 AM »
How about Raven - the raven is the bird of war.  As in carrion crows.

Go get yourself a baby name book - don't freak - they're very useful for names that have meanings.
Or you can go online.
You can always put a brown paper bookcover on it.  Don't laugh - that's what I did because friends kept
seeing the book and wondering why I had a baby name book.  I got tired of explaining.

by the by - 5'8" to 5'9" is not short unless you're going by Harry standards.