Author Topic: Do powers and stunts stack?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Do powers and stunts stack?
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:24:12 PM »
Does a stunt that gives a bonus to a specific area such as say "Fleet of Foot: When sprinting (page 212), gain a
+2 to Athletics." and a power such as Inhuman Speed which gives a general adavantage stack so giving a + 4 to athletics when sprinting.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:26:19 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Do powers and stunts stack?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:29:36 PM »
Things generally stack unless there's something saying they don't. I'm unable to find anything that says that you cannot combine Stunts and Powers, so I'd be inclined to say that they do stack.

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
In the case you given i would say yes.
why - Inhuman speed mean someone is just fast.... they are born or made that way.  They they trained to make them self even faster.  in a world of speed, he was just better.

Now if we had a wizard casting a haste type spell on him self and then trying to use a stunt, i dont think i would be ok with that.  If i did i would say that there is a possablity of triping or something like that if they did no roll high enough..

just my 2 cents...
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
In the case you given i would say yes.
why - Inhuman speed mean someone is just fast.... they are born or made that way.  They they trained to make them self even faster.  in a world of speed, he was just better.

Now if we had a wizard casting a haste type spell on him self and then trying to use a stunt, i dont think i would be ok with that.  If i did i would say that there is a possablity of triping or something like that if they did no roll high enough..

just my 2 cents...

A 'haste type spell', as in a self-targeted maneuver placing one or more 'speed'-themed temporary aspects?
And how would that be any different than a character with an equivalent permanent 'speed'-themed aspect in combination with such a stunt?  Would you similarly penalize that character?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:06:53 PM »
Things generally stack unless there's something saying they don't. I'm unable to find anything that says that you cannot combine Stunts and Powers, so I'd be inclined to say that they do stack.

This.

Plus, there would be no reason to take most powers after submerged unless things stacked.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »

A 'haste type spell', as in a self-targeted maneuver placing one or more 'speed'-themed temporary aspects?
And how would that be any different than a character with an equivalent permanent 'speed'-themed aspect in combination with such a stunt?  Would you similarly penalize that character?

As i said a permanent speed themed aspect would mean the Character was raised with this, grew to be fast and then uses stunts to push what he already has.  he would have trained for this, become accustom to how his body moves.
The person with the Self-targeted maneuver would have not have trained. 
I don’t mind stacking in most cases but it has to make sense.
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
Now if we had a wizard casting a haste type spell on him self and then trying to use a stunt, i dont think i would be ok with that.  If i did i would say that there is a possablity of triping or something like that if they did no roll high enough..

I don't see why it wouldn't be okay.  A maneuver is a maneuver, and can be tagged for +2, then invoked with FP as long as it lasts. 

Of course, there's nothing saying you can't compel the aspect to make him trip.

If he doesn't like that he could of course use a skill-replacement type spell, throwing in six shifts of power to bump his Athletics up to Fantastic for a turn but that'd be a lot more expensive, as it should be, since there's no potential compel related downside.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
Agreed, what i was trying to say initially is that if he failed his roll, that a Aspect of trip could be placed on the Character.  I’m ok with epic power but also am ok with Epic fails.